which area to try for in AZ?

B

badlandcat

its that time of yesr again. is area 10 still a good area to try and draw a tag? or is there a better area for a NR rifle hunter? i know the chances are slim to none, but if you don't put in you will not draw. would like to get a good area if i happen to draw. looking for a monster! any help would be nice.
thanks

I take it that since you posted in the Antelope area, that is what you are trying for? If so, the G&F cut tags big time this year, so it will be hard to draw. 10 is a good unit, along with 19A.

Unit 10 is a very good unit for big bucks, but then so are most of Arizona's antelope units. Permits are down compared to historical levels due to years of very poor fawn survival. Buck:doe ratios are on the mend and permits will likely increase in the not too distant future. Drought, poor range conditions, predation and other factors are the basic cause of poor fawn survival with drought probably being the overriding factor. Afterall, Arizona is a desert state and drought is a constant worry in desert areas. Unit 10, for example, lies for the most part, on a limestone plateau with very little natural water, few springs, no streams of any kind in antelope habitat and only occaisional rock potholes. Most water is supplied by ranch pipelines and dirt stock tanks. Unit 10 lies in an area sort of inbetween abundant winter precipitation and frequent summer thunderstorms. That said, however, Unit 10 and most Arizona antelope units regularly produce good bucks and almost all of the area is open to public access. Hunting is not easy unless you are just lucky, and that happens regularly as well. Most hunters who draw Unit 10 tags know what they have and spend as much time in the field scouting as possible. Antelope are not plentiful compared to Wyoming and it is possible to spend a day in the field and see few if any antelope. Hiring a guide is an option if one just cannot scout on his own and can afford it. There are some good ones out there. Check references. Units 7, 9, 10, 18A, 19A and 19B are good choices as well as a number of the Flagstaff or White Mountain units. Big bucks have come from Southeast Arizona as well. Contact the Game Department and ask questions. Draw odds are long, very long, and being a resident is not much of an advantage. You really only have 2 choices in the drawing so pick 2 good ones and pray for luck in the drawing.

Just so you know, there is no 10% limit on nonresidents for antelope tags, so you have an equal chance of drawing a tag. But, I do have resident friends that have 11 bonus points.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom