which arrows do you prefer

fizwizr

i am new to archery hunting,i just bought the matthews z7 with a 29 inch draw and 60lb setting,what can you recommend me to start shooting arrow wise,m that is suitable to use for elk hunting?

Easton Axis on Easton FMJ's will both fill the bill nicely in that setup. I have had good success on elk with them as they both penetrate extremely well. Cut the wind better to, which makes a difference in some of the stiff thermals you will experience in the elk woods to.

smiley-violent064.gif

>i am new to archery hunting,i
>just bought the matthews z7
>with a 29 inch draw
>and 60lb setting,what can you
>recommend me to start shooting
>arrow wise,m that is suitable
>to use for elk hunting?
>

sweet, thank you ,i will be shooting the very fmjs thursday,i cant wait to find out.

Victory HV 300's cut to 29 1/2", 50 gr brass insert, 2" blazer vanes, 150 gr Werewolf head. Serious elk killing machine.

Think about a new technology aerodynamic small diamiter 1 1/8" cut on contact broadhead to go on those FMJ's. Everyone has their favorites.

))))-------->

Also for me I like a heavy arrow for hunting and throw away the book on spine for my draw weight. I shoot the heaviest FMJ I can find which is the FMJ340 with excellant results and deep penitration. Total arrow weight including broadhead is 466gr.

I suggest researching this against conventional spine spec's before you choose and spend a lot of money on arrows. There are a lot of different philisophys on this subject. Get a bunch of input on this arrow weight issue then choose what you think is best for you.

))))------>

Carbon Express Blue streaks..... or maxima kv's
they are the best arrows i have shot... i have shot
gold tip, easton axis and lots of others and carbon
express are worth the extra money for them!

You might look at the Gold Tip Kinetics or Pro Hunters. I shoot Pro Hunter 7595s and they are tough as nails. Tip them with a G5 Striker and you have a deadly combination.

Here?s another vote for FMJ 340?s. What I haven't heard from anyone is the experiences I have had with these shafts. Maybe that's because everyone has had pass-through?s and the arrow landed harmlessly on the other side of the animal, but every one of my arrows have been snapped off on either end. Usually because their stuck in an animal and hanging out each side as he runs through the brush. Had a couple break off when he hit the dirt. They don't seem to handle side load too well. This is just my observation and honestly in the end the arrow did its job. It is a bummer that a brand new arrow is broken and can't be re-used specially at the costs of these shafts. Most everyone wants to be able to re-sharpen and use their BH?s. Im the same with the arrows. But I have yet to find a better penetrating arrow. I used to shoot ACC?s. Talk about tough as nails!! IMO they are hands down the toughest arrow I have ever owned. But the penetration isn't half as good as the FMJ?s. so for now I will stick with them.

GBA

wow,thank you all for the great advice.for me this is overwhelming.i never thought there were so many choices..at least now i can look forward to shooting as many different ones as i can until i find what is right for me.

Assuming you are not intending to increase the draw weight over 65 pounds, I would recommend the 5575 Gold Tip, in either XT or Prohunter. If you are looking to increase the deaw weight to the 70 pound range, I would suggest the 7595 from Gold Tip. These arrows are both proven winners, not only in hunting, but in tournaments as well. Easy to tune and tough as nails too.

Easton has a free arrow selection chart on their website- pretty easy to figure. Easton has a very good tuning guide also- free download.

Heres the thing, all of those carbon shafts are pretty good. You will have a hard time telling the difference between the .006" cheap shafts and the .002 pro shafts and you can spend $100 a doz more on the expensive ones. Guys that can shoot under 6" groups at 60 yds can maybe tell but then you can twist the nok 90 degrees and almost always get them to group.

The heavier shafts are much better for hunting. You can do as some did above and make them perform better with heavier inserts & BH's. The FMJ's are good but they can take a bend from mishandling.

If I wasn't blowing through elk size animals with fairly heavy carbons or FMJ's, I would look at my tune or my BH- somethings wrong. A 450gr arrow with decent head should be laying 50yds or more past that animal most of the time. If its a large mech heads then all bets are off.

+100 to that COLO3D, Gold Tip Hunter XT 7595 is all i shoot, and love em.....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom