Which Groups Will Stand Against License Increases

SMOKESTICK

I was wondering, with all the love on here for SFW, which groups will stand against license fee increases? There will be a meeting on September 22, 2012 and the list of invitees is interesting, to say the least.

Let's see what you think?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-12 AT 03:46PM (MST)[p]This group of one won't. In fact you couldn't get me to pizz on the SFW if they were on fire. I already responded and advised I supported the increases and suggested they outta consider raising the resident fee's higher that what's been proposed. The recommendations aren't unreasonable compared to what other states are charging. I'd say just leave youth and pioneer prices alone...

What ever the cost,if I decide to go I will come up with the money.Just like $4 gasoline. May grip and complain ,but I still buy it.
I still hope they can find a sulution without a big increase.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-12 AT 10:06PM (MST)[p]I doubt any group will stop the increases. Just wondering...... In 5 years, when they are up for another increase, what will that look like? Taking such a large increase today will effect the future increases. That $500+ deer tag will become $700.

Where does the increase stop, If they will pay $600 will they pay $800, it hard to say what is the top limit, money,money,money.
Bump up resident fees the same % amount the NR get.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Gator,

I am a Wyoming resident and unless my math is wrong a few of the Wyoming resident fee increases are at a higher percentage than non-residents.

This is what I get...

Resident fees:
Antelope +55%
Deer +44%
Elk +50%

Nonresident Fees:
Antelope +37%
Deer +68%
Elk +30%

Now before I get attacked, I believe the resident fees are still very low and the nonresidents are taking a big hit. I am a nonresident in all but one state and I apply for several states a year. I am simply pointing out that the proposed resident fees are also going up by huge increases.

Smokestick,

Are you saying SFW is against the fees increase? If so will you (i.e. Wyoming SFW) publicly come out and oppose any increase in special tags to be sold to the highest bidder to offset the higher fees?

They need to increase the tag $$ to cover the reward money they give out when someone turns in a poacher that couldn't afford a tag at the price it is today. I really think with the way these states are raising the prices poaching is going to become alot bigger problem than it already is. A guy that wants it bad enough and knows he can't afford it will do just about anything to get it....sad but true.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-12 AT 10:51PM (MST)[p]Utah400elk,

Yes, WY SFW is more than likely to continue to oppose this significant of a license fee increase. In fact, I believe we will not support any license fee increase, unless nothing else can be done. I have conveyed this position to both Director Talbot & Commission President Clark.

In defense of our WY G&F Commission & Department, I believe they are being very responsible with our hunting/fishing/trapping dollars; however, they have identified their problems and license fees simply do not address those problems; increased fuel costs, increased health care costs and inflation has already been identified as their primary problem. I would prefer that we address the problem rather than simply throw more money at it. And for the record, WY SFW did support the last license fee increase in 2007. Furthermore, we supported establishing general fund dollars to pay for capitol construction costs and improvements to our fish hatcheries.

There is a meeting on the 22nd that I will be attending. Hopefully, I will have at least one Board Member also in attendance. I cannot foresee what will come out of the meeting but I already know the reluctance to create any kind of program similar to Utah. Remember, Wyoming has something that Utah doesn't; we have the Wyoming Wildlife & Natural Resource Trust. WY SFW helped create this trust in 2004 and has continued to support its funding. While it has not obtained the funding level we would have liked, it has been added to every year. This is not to criticize the Utah program, it is simply to demonstrate that Wyoming has a different funding mechanism available for habitat projects and conservation, etc. I anticipate that Wyoming will see some kind of Super Tag raffle similar to other states and I believe WY SFW will support that type of a program.

Smokestick

A raffle or auction? Another questions is why does Wyoming need the raffle or auction if they have a wildlife trust that is different than the other states?

Once they start raffling tags, the hand never stops going back for more. Stop the raffle before it starts is your only hope.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Yep, probably more than I've ever dreamed. And you probably also got some brand new tires for yer trailer house. Yer the mannn!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-12 AT 05:39PM (MST)[p]Pillowbiter....if you make so much money why the crybaby attitude about a small increase in resident fees? Ever heard of hooked on phonics?

Utah400Elk,

The Super Raffle being proposed is a raffle conducted by the state, similar to Idaho's Super Raffle. At least that is how I understand it currently.

The Wyoming Wildlife & Natural Trust provides a funding source that others match. It does not rest within the G&F Department but they are major players in projects, etc.

WY G&F Department is looking for ways to increase their budget. They have openly stated that in the short term, they believe they are $8-10 million short of what they need. Long term, they have not said how much they desire, only that hunting & fishing licenses will no longer provide adequate funding for the state.

Hope that answers your questions.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-12 AT 11:47AM (MST)[p]Wouldn't bother me in the least if they raised res fees considerably.Especially when you consider that your license is the LEAST expensive part of the hunt as it stands now.Those of us who want to hunt badly enough will figure out a way to pay for it.Gas goes up every year,too.If you don't like it,then quit hunting.That will raise my odds to draw a tag,and one less guy in the field for me to have to look at.

My problem with a license increase is that the product doesn't deserve a price increase,IMO.In business,the product should be deserving of the price.There are many that feel the product is getting worse rather than better.But then,that's another topic for another thread.

Bob-How much does G&F predict they could make off a "Super Raffle"?

nontypical,

I believe the Department said the super raffle would generate around $1 million.

I am also hearing similar comments; basically we will be paying more for less seems to be a common response.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom