Which unit for 2010

freebird63

For some reason I am inspired to kill a trophy mule deer next year. For the last several years I have hunted unit 39. I have never seen any trophy bucks in this unit, this year I didn't see anything til I read Daid Long's book and learned some things. Then I found this forum.
With all that being said, here are some more details about me.
I don't own any horses or mules or ATV's, I hunt strictly by foot. I was hunting with a Remington 300 SAUM, its an awesome gun, but had to sell the wifes gun and now she wants mine.
So I am planning on buying a new gun, either a Remington Sendero 300 ultra mag or a 30/378 Weatherby. But the cost of reloading the weatherby is down right expensive. But have not bought the gun yet, so who knows what I will end up with.
Now as far as unit go, right now I am thinking about putting in for unit 40 and if I don't get it then just hunt high up, maybe above Atlanta in unit 39 and hope for snow.
So are there any other units I should consider????
Any and all info is greatly appreciated, I don't expect your secret spots, just looking for ideas and info.

Thanks a bunch everyone

Chuck

I think you have a sound idea what you want to do. All I could add is that the gun does not have to be a hairy chested belted magnum to kill deer. If it is a deer rifle you want get a deer rifle. I like reloading so a 6.5-284 would be a hot gun. but when the fat hits the fire it is hard to beat a 2706. Ron

I dont know what you are calling a trophy, but I hunt fairly close to where you are talking about. There are some big ones, but they are few and far between. I took a 26" four point this year and a 24" four point two years ago. Not what you will see in the mags, but definatly bigger than any other deer I saw hanging anywhere. Quality has gone down last couple of years. I did take a 182" in 05 a a controlled tag. A buck over 160" is hard to come by in 39. As far as your rifle I had a rem sendero 300 ultra mag, while a great gun I found it way to heavy especially if you going to be hiking alot. Since then I had a lightweight custom 300 wsm built and I love it. Just make sure your goals of a trophy are realistic. I look for something 24" plus or somthing with some character I wont downgrade what I will shoot during the later part of the hunt I will hunt till the last second trying to reach my goal somtimes going home empty. Good luck

To me a 24" would be a trophy, but would not pass up a bigger one. As I live here in Boise, the sendero's are very hard to find right now. Was also looking at the Remington Model 700 XCR 300 ultra mag. I like the ballastics of the weatherby 30/378, but don't like the cost of the ammo or even the cost to reload that stuff. But will see whats available when I have the money. I already know what scope I am going to get and what backpack I am going to get. But since I have lived here in Idaho the biggest buck I have seen was in unit 40, had just gotten down on flat ground and seen this huge buck not letting any grass grow under his feet, but he was at least a 30" spread, biggest buck I had ever seen alive.
Thanks for all the info.

Chuck

there are big bucks in 39. ive seen plenty before the season and during the late archery season, but im still trying to figure out where they are during the rifle season.
if you are only going to hunt deer, you should look at the ballistics of the .270wsm. the 150gr is just as flat (almost identical) as a 180gr out of one of the big .300s but the recoil wont jar your fillings loose. If you will be using it for elk also, the rem xcr in 300ultra is a good choice for packing, and the .300win doesnt give up much more than about 10% and is a lot cheaper to shoot. either will be sufficient out to 600yards when topped with a good scope.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom