Which unit????

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
I've only hunted deer and antelope in WY. Looking for a recommendation to apply for elk with max NR PPs. To improve draw odds, I'm interested in a remote unit WITHOUT wilderness where I can utilize horses. Preferably a 10/1 opener. Draw odds on 100, 47, etc aren't what I'm interested in. I've applied in 62 a few times and that seems drawable with max PPs but I'm concerned about wolf depredation. Conversation with biologist last year wasn't promising.

This'll be me and my 73 year old dad. But with horses, I should be able to get him to the elk.

PM me if you have any info.

Wouldn't even ask in this type of forum except his elk huntin years are numbered.

I heard the immediate-outskirts of Cheyenne are a good draw! Hope this helps!

you should getan antler trophy for hunting eith your dad..I would suggest somewhere in the Wyoming Range...good luck...

If you put in for west of cheyenne start finding access to privite land early, there are rancher that will allow hunting but they limit the number of hunters, Call G&F before you draw for names and #'s, the day they draw you want to contact the land owners and get locked in. there are some very good bull in the area.
It looks like there is a lot of public land but it don't take long for many of the elk to get pushed off of it.

Put in for area seven, it is one of the largest limited quota areas with some really nice bulls and a lot of them but as stated before the day you draw or even before start searching for private land access. I also know of some guys who do really well on the national forest around laramie peak. But access is very limited just about the whole area so do your research.

Moseley Middleton

I appreciate all of the replies. I looking for an area where the horses would allow me to access areas and get away from pressure. Are all of these type areas over run with wolves now??

When I decided on 62 about 8 years ago, the biologist was way high on it as only about 20% is wilderness but most of the rest was roadless. Last year, another biologist sent me in another direction, Big Horns. I've seen some photos of bulls from the Big Horns but with no specifics like private, 1 in a 1,000,000, etc.

With enough points to draw the tag I've been waiting for in Ore, plans to try a OTC archery tag in Co and selecting easier to draw units in NM, I may just put in for one of the lottery draws in Wy this year anyways but I haven't decided plus want to start getting specific on research on a couple of units in Wy.

I feel I can take elk regularly in some of the General areas but with max points, I was looking for something with a lil better quality. Thanks for your imput.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom