Whitetail help

J

JamesM

Would like to hunt whitetail next year. Just wondering what is a ok unit to put in for? Thanks

I've hunted the NF north west and to the southeast of Sundance, we've done well hunting around the 15th of Nov. You'll need to be ready for snow but the whitetails will be rutting and you'll see lots of bucks.

yep black hills around sundance make sure you get a permission slip for homestake land [its cheap] if you want to hunt moskie.
tons of deer but bucks are smart like already said try to catch the rut right.
either the bear lodge or moskie are good hunting but homestake land was closed early for years to help with quality of bucks your best bet for a big one is over there.
it is patchworked threw the NF and having the permission slip really makes the hunting easier as well as better.

Hey I'm from Montana, but been living in Wyoming for going on almost two years. This will be my first year that I will be a resident of WY and first year hunting in WY. I'm looking for a good place to hunt whitetails and from what I've heard you guys are right on the money about the sundance area. Can you tell me some more about obtaining a permission slip to hunt the homestake area. Where exactly are you talking about when you mention the homestake area. I'm not looking for anyones honey hole, but if someone could point me to the right area that'd be great. I grew up hunting in the Custer National Forest in SE MT, so if anyone is wanting some info on that area I'd be willing to help out.

Thanks

i don't know the info off the top of my head but if you called the game warden in sundance he would know the info of who is running the homestake property.
i know they charge residents 50 bucks but its well worth it.
i'll call my brother and get the info from him he still lives in sundance. when i get it i'll pm you.

Hi cmiddleton,

Thanks for your help, I appreciate the info. I'm getting excited for the upcoming season. I've been out hiking the hills for muleys, but haven't seen anything worth taking over a whitetail! If you happen to talk to your brother and find out some information that'd be great if you could help me out. You said your brother lives in Sundance, where are you from? Thanks again for your help!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-08 AT 05:51PM (MST)[p]

sorry guys i was out of date on home stake.
they now have it outfitted out and without big dollars we are out of luck.
the state of Wyoming could have bought the land and made it state forest but didn't "dag nab um".
i grew up in sundance but live in Casper now.
moskie area is area 4 on the deer map i think. its east of i-90 from sundance to the state line. bearlodge is from sundance to hulett to Aladdin highway

I've been looking at some maps and Google Earth is a good tool as well for scouting. I've looked at both Bear Lodge and the Moskie areas, both look decent. Do you tend to favor one area over another? I'd like to try to find at least a 140 class buck or so. I'm thinking about heading over that way Nov. 11th - 16th and also try to at least hit a few weekends as well. I'm hoping that'd give me enough time to get semi familiar with an area and find a decent buck. I'll have to get over that way this summer and do some hiking to really get to know it.

P.S. can anyone tell me how to PM?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom