Whitetail Rut Grangeville

brdhuntr

I'll be headed up north on Sunday,and was wandering if anybody has seen any activity. Should be starting to turn on, with the weather,will give a report when we get back on the 15th.

I have seen some scrapes already in my area. My buddy's wife killed a big buck that was with a doe a few weeks ago, but this weather will really turn things on. Haven't had the weather line up like this since 2010.

Whitetail are just starting to rut around grangeville. Seen this buck before the young kid was able to take him. He was with some does and not thinking real straight.
5080image.jpg

So you guys think the Rut is on? I was heading up the 16th thru the 23rd. Do you think that will be to late?

LIVE TO HUNT, LOVE TO FISH!!

That should be prime time.
Around Spokane we usually see peak rut activity about the 17th of Nov. with rutting continuing until thanksgiving or so.

Have been out behind my place in Latah County. Seeing does but haven't seen a buck w/them yet. Was out twice in the new snow that came last Sunday night and again Tuesday. Did not see a single scrape in the snow and the tracks we did see did not indicate the frantic movement we often can "read" in the tracks that indicate the rut has kicked on. It appears the rut is a few days off still.

>Have been out behind my place
>in Latah County. Seeing
>does but haven't seen a
>buck w/them yet. Was
>out twice in the new
>snow that came last Sunday
>night and again Tuesday.
>Did not see a single
>scrape in the snow and
>the tracks we did see
>did not indicate the frantic
>movement we often can "read"
>in the tracks that indicate
>the rut has kicked on.
> It appears the rut
>is a few days off
>still.

I will be in Latah County this Sat night (Nov.10-16). Haven't been over for 3 years or so, but have hunted there off and on for 10 years. Tried the week of Thanksgiving the last time we went and the rut was almost non-existent. Normally go the week surrounding the 15th and do pretty well. We mostly call/rattle and if you wait too long the bucks will already be with does and won't want to leave them. Hopefully we'll catch the pre-rut while we're there, in my experience that is when they usually come busting into the antlers.

I did rattle (for two sessions). One overlooking an old field where we could see for over 400 yds and then later in a partial cut. I used the "can" and grunted some also. I have successfully rattled, "canned" and grunted bucks in this area in years past. To our knowledge (two of us hunting together) we didn't move a single deer to us. The does we did see were feeding and unaware of us when we saw them. The area we were hunting is hard to access and away from roads and I rarely have seen hunter's tracks in the area. I will post if I see any activity kicking up.

If a buck is in earshot and he has no does with him, he will most likely respond to rattling. Weather or not a hunter gets to see him is another story. I use 160" class whitetail sheds and can pull deer a long ways if its not windy. We're leaving tomorrow around noon.

Good luck Bud, I will be headed up to 10A on the 20th and hope to hit the peak while were there, keep us informed on what your seeing.

OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potato's and gravy.

>Good luck Bud, I will be
>headed up to 10A on
>the 20th and hope to
>hit the peak while were
>there, keep us informed on
>what your seeing.
>
>OMB
>
>
>There's room for all of God's
>creatures, right next to the
>mashed potato's and gravy.

Good Luck to you too OMB!! We will be hitting 10A a bit too.. Sorry about earlier post, for some reason what I typed didn't post. It's been a while since I've been on hear.. LOL

Bud,
If you get into Elk River that's where I will be staying, just look for a White GMC Dually with a 4 wheeler trailer...

OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potato's and gravy.

Barely made out of 8A......huge snow storm. Had trees falling all around camp and with two of three tags filled we split after hearing the 40th tree snap with the sound of a gunshot and fall, shaking the ground beneath our tent. Left camp at 3:45am and had to cut a dozen or so trees out of the road in an eight mile stretch to hit the hwy. They are just starting to rut. I shot a smallish 3x3 w/eyeguards Monday morning and then rattled in a similar sized buck in old timber and shot him at 20 yards on Wednesday. Partner missed a pretty good buck out in a clearcut bedded with a doe. Just as we rounded a bend in the skid road on the 4 wheeler, he jumped up and headed for the timber. Just never gave us a shot. This was at 1:00 pm and were just checking out the area to see if it was any good. All of the does we saw except the one still had fawns and NO bucks in tow.

Got back on the 16th. from unit 14,and we were three for four on small bucks. The rut is kicking in,and the bucks we shot had swollen necks. Talked to the outfitter in 14,and they had killed some monsters,and rattled most of them in. Good luck to all..

Any new reports. Pics would be fun too. Hoping to take my dad up this weekend for 5 total days. He hasn't killed a deer in 35 years, so we don't need much for him, just hope it will be fun.

We are heading up either today after work or leaving at 5am, I sure hope they are active for my Dad's sake. Any pics or updates would be great if anyone has some.

Here's a picture of a couple bucks my buddy took, both bucks are from this year. I don't have any info to help you out, but at least it's something to look at.

8737image.jpg

Just returned from up north last night. Starting on the 16th we observed rutting behavior every day including yesterday in units 10a, 12, and 16. Weather was not favorable nor is the forecast for the next several days. Full moon is not helping either. Still managed to see three mature bucks and several smaller bucks. I've certainly seen better hunting up there. Also seen much worse. Your timing is good but conditions could be better IMO. Good luck to you.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

Well, my brother and I just got back last night from Unit 8A and the rut has been in full swing!! Lucky enough to see 3 nice mature bucks but either we didn't get a shot or my ammo was duds.. Past on smaller bucks all week.. Brought some meat home but I am sure pissed on my ammo!!!!!!!!!! Not going to post some toe head photo's.I will try to post the little buck my brother got. Hope everyone has better luck!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom