Whitetail vs Muley

theox

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-10 AT 11:55AM (MST)[p]So i am curious to peoples views that have hunted both whitetail and muleys

So to the people that have hunted both species, which do you enjoy hunting/viewing more, and why?
which seems to be the more challenging species to hunt, and why.
which taste better?

?It takes a genius to whine appealingly.?
Mr.Whiny

they are both a blast to hunt, a good spot and stock muley or sittin in a tree in mid nov for whites. for me i like hunting the whities more just becase im from utah and dont get to hunt them every year, they both have their challenges big mature buck of either species are amazingly hard to out smart. as far as taste whitetail hands down,

THE A TEAM

I cant really say I like hunting one over the other. I can hunt Whitetails for 4 1/2 months and shoot up to 6 of them where its hard to draw a mule deer tag close to home. I have hunted mule deer in Wyoming when I get the chance and its a blast. I think whitetails taste better than muleys personally...

I live in Texas and bide my time with Whiteys but would sell my mother in law for a good muley tag every year:)! I live in a partial environment where spotting is a slight option but mostly sitting stands and open fields or creeks. I like the hunt and the numbers but nothing compare to an assassination of a big old buck that you spotted 3 days before and got the sneak on him. Also I love the high country desert environment.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-10 AT 12:50PM (MST)[p]Midwest whitetails are super fun animals to hunt. Like was said above, you can generally harvest more than one which is awesome. It doesn't get much better than sittin a tree stand during the middle of the rut. The shear number of whitetails is a big reason they are so fun to hunt.

I have yet to take a big mule deer(I am from Utah). In fact, I have only seen a handful of what I would consider big. However, I haven't been to the Henrys yet. Growing up kicking around the rocky mtns, watching the sun rise on top of a ridge is very hard to beat. It is kind of a toss up for me.

As far as taste goes, the whitetail is night and day better than a muley. Everything around here is corn and bean fed though.

I like hunting both species and my favorite is whichever one I happen to be hunting at the time. I have hunted whitetail in almost every western state that has em. I have also hunted muleys all over the west.If I was forced to choose which of the two I could hunt I would probably choose whitetails. More opportunity, and at my age...55 It is getting harder and harder to climb those high ridges where big Mulies hang out, oh yeah and as far as table fare, a corn fed midwest whitetail cant be beat!

wow sounds like whities are more favorable all around than muleys so far. that surprises me as i have very little interest in hunting whities.(i would like to someday but not the highest priority)

?It takes a genius to whine appealingly.?
Mr.Whiny

I would hunt mule deer over Whitetails any day of the week. I think I like hunting mule deer more because I can't stand sitting a viewing the same tiny plot of land for hours. I would much rather climb 2,000 vertical feet and glass every nook and cranny of an entire drainage.
They are both smart and both challenging but I just find Whitetail hunting much more boring than even hiking in the mountains. I do hunt them every year for the meat though cause I can kill 6 a year. I do like muley meat better too.

Hunting is my way of life
Sgt. Petersen
USMC OIF OEF Vet.

Hunting is fun......but I can hunt muleys in high country...where I also see sheep and goats. There are no whitetails up there. I enjoy the sights and scenery where the mule deer live more than where the whitetails live.

I suppose there are mule deer in less spectacular and less challenging country....but I enjoy those high peaks the most. (Besides, I like the mule deer antlers better.)

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I would hunt mule deer over Whitetails any day of the week. I think I like hunting mule deer more because I can't stand sitting a viewing the same tiny plot of land for hours. I would much rather climb 2,000 vertical feet and glass every nook and cranny of an entire drainage.
They are both smart and both challenging but I just find Whitetail hunting much more boring than even hiking in the mountains.

+1

I think it is what you make of it...

Sit on a high point and glass all day looking for mulies or watching a elk wallow..sit in a tree stand all day watching a feeding area/bedding site...

Still hunt thru ceder's for mulies...still hunt thru a oak or honey suckle patch huntin whitetails....

Decoy Elk or Antelope...decoy whitetails...

Bugle for Elk...Rattle or Grunt for Whitetails...

Hunt river bottoms for Moose...hunt river bottoms for whitetails...

Corn or Grain fed whitetials vs sage brush fed mulies...HUMMMM I wonder

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-10 AT 05:46PM (MST)[p]I can't believe all the whitey haters are not here yet! I've hunted whiteys plenty, only hunted muleys twice, each has its challenges. Western MT alfalfa fed whitetail is the BEST deer I have ever tasted.

BuzzH is the best deer hunter ever, maybe he will chime in!

I live in southwest Montana and some might argue that it is home to some of the best whitetail hunting around. Year in and year out I travel several hours and hundreds of miles to hunt the infamouse trophy mule deer. I have been blessed to have harvested several nice mule deer, and would gladly hunt the mule deer either in the desert or high country over sitting in a tree stand or blind or pushing through the bottom ground after a big whitetail. It comes down to the HUNT, and it is my opinion that the mule hunting is more instintive than whitetail hunting. Thats my two cense.

Both are a blast to hunt! I say mulies though. I would hunt mulies over any big game animal. I will never turn down a whitey hunt. I always have a blast chasing them. I have never shot a trophy in either species.

Rub some dirt on it, ya sissy!

Muleys
Blacktail
then Whitetail!

A hunt is a hunt, make of it what you will. I'd much rather hunt Whitetail than nothing though and the couple whitetails i've taken were excellent table fare. :)

Joey

I like to hunt both. The whitetail I shot in Minnesota tasted a lot better than muleys. They may have tasted better because I was in graduate school at the time and deer meat was the only meat I could afford. I had an easier time killing whities than muleys, but I never killed a big one.
If I had to choose, it would be mulies. I would choose muleys just for the scenery. The Midwest has some beautiful country, but I prefer the high country.
If anybody on here prefers muley meat, I will gladly trade them straight across this Fall for a whitie.:)

Both are great fun. I've hunted whitetails in Wyoming, Montana and in Canada. Mule deer in all of the western states except Arizona. To pick though it's still mule deer for me and I while spot & stalk is fun I really like to still hunt or "push" small areas. There is nothing better than catching a big buck in a place where he has to come out in the open to get away. Easy to make a mistake on a buck running away but the really big ones are easy to judge, even in that situation. As far as eating goes I like both but I like mule deer a little better. I'll take either over elk any of them over antelope. The best - Big Horn Sheep. Excellent!

I've been lucky enough to hunt and take both from treestands and spot and stalk. Muleys IMO are more fun to hunt due to their visibility. Where I hunt them you can see them and choose the buck you'd like to harvest. Whitetails are much harder to hunt spot and stalk due to their bedding habits. In Ks. they both taste the same. Headgear, no contest, muleys all the way.

i love mule deer, but the last few years the whitetail have grown on me. Any excuse to go hunting. Whitetail taste 1000 times better then mule deer. however with a gun to my head and had to choose to hunt 1 or the other i would go with muledeer.

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

Lived all my life in the Midwest, so if I only had one week per year to hunt, I'd be in a treestand during the mid-November whitetail rut.

That said, I love the mountains and am truly thankful for the opportunity to pursue high country muleys.

Whichever I can spot, stalk, and arrow. For me, the species does not matter, I just like getting close to a large antlered animal. As for taste, my last two muleys tasted better than my last two whitetail, and the Mule deer were older than both whitetail. I would have said otherwise t a couple years ago, but I think it depends on the buck. Both nule deer spent more time in the wheat feild, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Although I hunt whitetails more than mulies, I would prefer a good mulie hunt over a whitetail hunt. Maybe it's because I have killed way more whitetails than mulies. Maybe it's because I like large mulie racks better. Maybe it's the scenery. I do like to eat both species, with the nod on taste to whichever has been feeding on wheat/corn/soybeans.

Phantom Hunter

No comparison. I'm not on the monsterwhiteys site. Mule deer and their habitat drive a big part of my life. I love to see them, chase them and just look at them. I sat in a tree stand for 3 hours once and found it confining. I'd rather be up where I can move and I'm just a viaual person. I can't see enough out of a tree stand to keep me occupied.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom