Who has the Magic wand to cure stupid?

clearwater150

My daughter (36) and I (63) hunted elk in Unit 22. I had a great bow season and was just tagging along. Right up to the end of bow season and one week before the Oct 25 opening two mature bulls, two (getting mature)other bulls and at least one raghorn occupied a canyon along with somewhere around 15 cows. This canyon is only accessible by foot but there are numerous old logging roads that lace the surrounding area and access the main ridge line....all of which are closed on October 1 to motorized travel. They were open during archery season and I drove some and walked others. I checked with the Forest Service to make sure I was understanding their travel map (which is too general to really determine when a road closes) correctly and to make sure that the roads were closed. So...one hour before daylight, up the ridge we go. No headlamps, slow, picking our way along and up the steep slopes across several of these roads to find 16 other hunters who had accessed the area on the closed roads with their ATVs. We pushed on, crossing the above the canyon on the main ridge to get into position, entered the canyon to a glassing poine, but nary an elk to be seen. The second day, we avoided the ATV carnival and hunted the canyon using a second, more difficult route to get onto the opposite ridge at daylight. As it was just getting light enough to glass the opposite side, we could clearly hear the ATVs on the roads to the South and high on the main ridge above us. We didn't see an elk and we didn't hear a single shot in that entire area in the two days we hunted. I don't know if the noise of the ATVs moved elk into the timber before it was light enough to see them or not on that second day. Normally, I would just head in to the timber and work the timber, but the opening week this year was so noisy that tactic was simply not an option. When it did get light and we could glass the far ridge we counted six riders buzzing out toward us. Who has the magic wand to cure stupid? Don't these folks understand that the very thing they seek....the secret spot where elk stand around munching in the open at daylight....they destroy by driving to it? Gah......and not a one of the "hunters" we saw on the first day were a day over 40 or 45. What a bunch of limp-wristed bedwetters. I wish the State would take a stand on this. Hunting is big business in Idaho and critical to many of our small communities. One would think that there would be political support to create some substantial penalty for these slob hunters that so negatively affect our hunting opportunity. Now...before anyone jumps me about being anti ATV...I own one, two motorcycles, and a snowmobile. I love my motors but I love my hunting even more and I sure know when and where to use the motors. How about a one-strike penalty. When a rider is caught operating a motorized vehicle on a closed road or area (motorcycle, pickup, ATV, you name it) it is forfeited and sold with the proceeds going to wildlife management. That would get those "hunters" attention.

welcome to unit 22 home to a bunch of law abiding sportsman {NOT} I used to hunt 22 all the time.. the OX boys did a good thing when they went in & closed off most of their roads.. but there will always be some of these Idiots that will find a way around the gates they dont care..these are the same IDIOTS that have helped Idaho Sportman get kicked off alot of good ground !! way to go u mountain Hells angels keep up the good work !!!

I had nearly the same thing happen to me this year in California. The FS closed a road that leads down into some good openings with oaks. It's about a mile hike in. When I got to where I could start to see, there was two pick-ups parked in a prairie along side their tent. They camped right in the heart of the best hunting ground.(and broke the rules to do it) I got close enough to read the license plate with my binos, wrote it down, and backed out. I turned it in at the FS station, so who knows?

Eel

I will call the FS and explain what we experienced and how disappointed I am that we can not rely on their map and a double check through direct communication to find an area to experience a non-motorized hunting opportunity.

In many ways, I sympathize with the FS. Asking them to police the public at every road closure when there are hundreds of them is probably unfair....it all comes back to "sportsmen" obeying the rules and sharing the woods. Sadly, my experience over the last ten years is that driving around gates and breaking the rules for motorized use has become an acceptable behavior for a large percentage of the hunting public.

That is why I suggested that the State of Idaho...not the IDFG....the State Legislature.....pass a law that penalizes scofflaws. A State law would put the force of public opinion into the picture in addition to law....and if the law had a significant, immediate, and very painful penalty it would likely begin a process of changing public attitudes toward illegal use of motorized equipment.

I completely agree.... F&^king retards..... I hate them.... and I don't use the word hate very often..... they need too make it illegal period too hunt off a wheeler, only used too and from and now guns loaded and they have too be cased, if you are caught doing that you would be fined... period... and I love the lose you vehicle of choice if you go around a closed gate... just takes man power and if they would let other sportsmen take pictures/video of the incident and use that for prosecution that would be wonderful... I would have confronted them and taken picture's... most people have smart phones or camera's on them these days... and or call the FS or Game and Fish afterwords...
Matt

Wack'em and Stack'em

I'm not an ATV owner but would love to have one for certain things.
That being said, nothing pisses me off more than idiots that ride their loud quads into the no vehicle areas. If you can hear the ATVs the animals can too. I've been watching deer in my binos only to see them spook at 600+ yards for no apparent reason then 10-20 seconds later I hear a 4 wheeler tooling up a road near the animals who were across a canyon from me. ATV riders never saw a single animal nor did they know they'd just run off a herd of deer.
Hunters need to police ourselves on this and turn in the violators on this one. Let the LE community do their job but yeah it may be time for stiffer penalties. The hunting is soooooo much better when those ATVs stay out of the areas. Why people don't just walk their lazy a$$es into those areas is beyond me. Get a mountain bike or something or just get out of bed and WALK!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom