who's excited/ hornady fbp

D

desertdeer

LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-11 AT 10:17AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-11 AT 10:16?AM (MST)

well i hunt all three seasons as a dedicated hunter and although i love the challenge of bowhunting i really love the muzzy season. the weather is usually perfect. the bucks are past that dumb phase where they are half orange and half grey. no more screwing around trying to guess what a buck will look like once he strips his velvet. and we get to spend a bunch of time getting the perfect load worked up. i love muzzy season, maybe because my biggest bucks have come from the muzzy season.

sooooooo............ who is excited for some utah muzzy deer hunting??????

also i have been wanting to try some of the hornady fbp 300 grainers, but i cant find them anywhere. i live in the cedar city area and i cant locate any in this area. i have a brother is salt lake so if there is some available there i can have him pick them up.
any ideas???? i tried cabelas online, midway usa, bass proshops, and called sportsmans warehouse in st george. most of them have the 350 grainers but not the 300's. i can order them online but shipping would cost as much as the bullets themselves.
i also ordered some from bass proshops because they said they were in stock but i got an email the next day saying they were on backorder.

any ideas?

I looked all over grand junction and vernal utah and notta. Ended up finding um in a little Wyatts Sporting good store in Meeker while I was in town there for business. Got the last to packs too... good luck!

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Desert-

I'm with you there. I'm so excited I can't even think straight. Went out scouting 2 weeks ago and saw some bucks. I'm hoping they are still there when I get back there next week.

I'm sorry you can find your rounds, I'm out too (Powerbelt Aero's) and I hope I can find some before next week.

Well, good luck on your hunt. What general area you gonna be stompin around in? I've got one of those highly coveted NE tags

Post up some picts,

TRH

LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-11 AT 01:05PM (MST)[p]im hunting southern. its been a little tough to pattern the deer this year as i hunt the desert and with all the moisture we have had they dont stick to their usual feeding/watering areas. i think i could have sealed the deal on the bowhunt if it werent for work and school getting in the way all the time. hopefully the muzzy hunt will make it easier as you can get away with more mistakes with a 150 yard range.

i did find the hornady 300 grainers from 3tailer.com. with shipping i got them for less than retail price so i feel good about that. im hoping they actually ship this time. they showed 60 packs in stock.

edit: gaetz, i have some (13) powerbelt 245 gr aerotips. if thats what you need let me know and i can get them to ya.

also if someone can let me know how the fpb have performed for them i would love to know

desertdeer-

Thanks for the offer on the Aerolites. Fortunately I found some today at Cabelas on an aisle endcap. Even the staff member who helped me didn't know they had them on the endcap. Anyways, looks like I'm good to go. 14 days and counting.

TRH

Performance wise-I shot my buck last week with 90 gr of BH209 with the 300 gr fpb and had a complete pass-through at 168 yds. 4x3 buck-nothing huge but my biggest so far.

thanks guys. i have shot a few of them so far and although i cant say i agree with them being easier to load i like them. ragged hole groups at 50 yards.

i am using a starter. usually after the initial push they go fairly easy but not as easy as powerbelts. maybe i have a tight bore. im shooting a traditions pursiut pro lt. it has been accurate with powerbelts. i went to the range today and shot about 30 shots with different powder loads. first i shot my powerbelt charge of 130 grains of 777 (2 50 gr pellets and one 30 gr pellet) it shot well with a clean bore and a bigger group with a dirty one like hornady suggests. i wanted better so i dropped to 100 grains and got keyholes dirty or clean bore. i thought i had screwed up switching from the powerbelts. i dropped to 80 grains and no more keyholes, shot good dirty or clean. so i decided to shoot with 130 grains and a clean bore. i only shot at 50 yards to get it sighted in rough but ill go again and check everything at 100 yards this weekend. i might take some loose powder to get all the accuracy i can out of it. thanks for the help guys. lets get excited for muzzy season

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom