who's going sheep hunting?

coyote

Just 16 days now until my Colorado sheep hunt starts. Man its all I can think about right now. I have several sheep located just hope that biggest ram stays put. Who else has a ram tag and are you as excited as I am?

I have a co sheep tag as well I can't think of anything else. I am about to go crazy. The good thing is its almost here.

My Wyoming buddy drew a Cali Bighorn tag in Oregon and I'm going along to help. The season there is 9/3-9/16 and although I'm not the shooter I'm just as excited as if I was!

tycon how many pts did you have, I drew on my 8th year. I'm realy excited. What kind of ram are you going to hold out for? I'm not going to have as much time to hunt as I would like but I plan on trying to get a 170 ram or better at first and if I'm running out of time then I will take what I can get. Might be my only chance to ever sheep hunt. I have tried to educate myself the best I can, have practiced shooting long range, I have been scouting as much as time would allow and am in elk hunting shape wouldn't call it sheep shape but I have the will to get it done. Good luck to all

coyote, tycon and even TOPGUN,
The short answer to, "who is going sheep hunting?" for 99.9% of MM readers is NOT ME!!!
That fact alone is an exclamation mark on how important it is for you to enjoy every anticipated exciting moment. Indeed, those who ARE going sheep hunting this year are "livin the dream" for the rest of us.
I also think it is safe to say that most of us (aside from being a wee bit jealous) are excited as we can be for all of you!

We plead with you "very lucky few" to share your adventure with us.

Best of luck to you all.

My nights are getting even more restless just thinking about what the sheep hunt will be come September. Good luck to the other tag holders.

This was my 11th year applying. I am going to hold out for a big ram, 170 is also what I've been thinking. I haven't found a ram that size yet so I'm not sure. I have tried to contact everyone I can who knows the unit and get there advice on what a good ram for the unit is. I am going up there every chance I get. The largest ram so far is a heavy bloomed 3/4 that is in the 140s. I think I'm not good at judging sheep. I do have some good pics of him and some younger rams I need to post. What unit are you hunting? Good luck to everyone who has a sheep tag. Try and get some sleep .

>coyote, tycon and even TOPGUN,
>The short answer to, "who is
>going sheep hunting?" for 99.9%
>of MM readers is NOT
>ME!!!
>That fact alone is an exclamation
>mark on how important it
>is for you to enjoy
>every anticipated exciting moment.
>Indeed, those who ARE going
>sheep hunting this year are
>"livin the dream" for the
>rest of us.
>I also think it is safe
>to say that most of
>us (aside from being a
>wee bit jealous) are excited
>as we can be for
>all of you!
>
>We plead with you "very lucky
>few" to share your adventure
>with us.
>
>Best of luck to you all.
>

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yup, what he said!
Zeke

I drew a S21 tag, I'm not the best at judgeing rams either but when you see a big ram you will know it. I talked to the biologist for my area, he said a ram wouldn't get a full curl until they are 7yrs old. He said alot of the oldest rams in my area are 3/4 curl because they are broomed off. Mass is everything when it comes to rams. Man just two more weeks good luck everyone.

Only 20 more days until my Colorado S66 sheep season starts...

This hunt has consumed me this whole summer... Running, lifting, shooting, biking, scouting, research, more running, blah, blah...

It's almost GO TIME!!

Good luck to all those hunting this majestic animal this fall!!

Tycon, you should post pictures of that ram. I'm guessing that a "heavy, broomed 3/4 curl" ram will score better than the 140's.

Good luck to everyone.

COak is right!
I was thinking the same thing.
Even a dinky Utah desert sheep that is heavy and broomed will typically score at least in the 140s. Colorado Rocky rams are generally way bigger then them.
Short (3/4) curl doesn't always mean low score! Especially when heavily broomed.
Look for age rings.
Old=Trophy in sheep, in my book

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-13 AT 08:55PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-13 AT 04:54?PM (MST)

>Muleymemories how did your hunt go
>last year? got any pic,
> we need some more
>fuel for the fire:)

Coyote here's a few pics of my ram. Story is very long, but I will give quick run down. I hunted a very wild and scenic place known as the "Frank Church Wilderness" in central Idaho.

A great buddy and I spent the first nine days of the season 16 miles from the trailhead trying to locate a ram(very low concentration of sheep). With no luck I decided to charter a plane and fly into the wilderness and float the Middle Fork of Salmon river the last week of the season. Floating the river was a battle since neither I or my brother-n law had any experience. We managed to live but I was very nervous.

The second day we hiked 4000 ft up from the river and I spotted the one and only ram. I shot him right before dark. It was one of the most emotional days of my life, a feeling one can not describe.

It took us 3 days to get back to the raft and we floated out. A trip I will never forget. Not a monster ram, but one I will always remember.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/1417hunting_2012_106_

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/6271hunting_2012_063_

I dont know why these pics wont work?

Wow Muleymemories that sounds like a tough hunt to say the least that ram had to be rewarding after that much work. Glad you got your ram and lived to tell the story hopefuly your buddies hunt will be a little easier thanks for the story good luck

Muleymemories nice ram even more rewarding after working so hard, I headed out right now to go scout next two days:)

>i have utah sportsmans tag for
>desert big horn sheep starting
>the first of sep

WOW, good for you astriblen!
That tag is about as good as they come, in my book.
I suspect I know where you'll be hunting. ha

Best of luck,
Zeke

The tag gods blessed me with a Desert Bighorn hunt near Tonopah, Nv for the 2013 season!

Very much looking forward to the hunt....

Ed

Tag's notched for this year... guess I'll have to wait until next year when I get another one for free at the grocery store. haha. All you poor suckers dreaming about those sheep tags.

P1010478_zps1d29482d.jpg

>Tag's notched for this year... guess
>I'll have to wait until
>next year when I get
>another one for free at
>the grocery store. haha.
> All you poor suckers
>dreaming about those sheep tags.
>
>
>
P1010478_zps1d29482d.jpg

Way to rub it in....nice pics!!

Hello guys, Well I didn't draw a tag but, a friend of mine drew a Nevada DBH tag. I was invited to go along and help so I jumped at the oppertunity. I be out your way in Nov. cant wait.

Nocwalker

Just got back from my first outing, only saw 7 young rams, can't waite until I get some more days off so I can try again. Good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom