Why Aren't the Turkeys Talking ???

hikenhunt

Ir seems like the Tom's have just quit gobbling. It's too early for their mating season to be over isn't it ???

They've been hunted for the past month and it doesn't take them long to wisen up.

Still gonna a be few goblin but it's going to get harder to kill one with the passing of every day this month, especially in the mountain units-they're starting to really spread out.

Find some private land birds and you'll still have a chance.

I just got home from hunting on private land that hasn't seen a hunter all year and believe me it isn't any better on private. The birds are acting very weird this year in my opinion.

We seen 9 hens no toms. They don't seem to be talking at all.

Same here on the Ogden Unit, not much is happening. There are a few gobbles here and there but they are not very responsive to calls at all. Last year I had better luck on the General NR hunt. I thought the early hunt would be easier.

On our ranch, which hasn't seen a hunter this year, we found the same thing this past week. Lots of birds, but hardly a gobble. Hens alone and multiple toms on one hen, but no talking, no strutting, and only a little mock fighting. It definately has been different. Just last week they were strutting, gobbling and chasing all over the place.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

HJB, have you even seen any birds in the unit? My brother and I went out for a look yesterday. didn't see or hear any birds. we have the late NR tag. Talked with another guy who has the B tag that has only found 2 hens and about 2 dozen hunters.

I've heard that when they quit gobbling that it's time to bring out the gobbler calls and mix them with hen calls to make any nearby gobblers mad so they will come looking for a fight - can anyone confirm this ???

There is no doubt that gobbling can work, but I would be really careful doing it. In fact, I don't think I'd try it on public lands - the risk of attracting other hunters and getting shot is too high. If I was on private ground and knew that I'd be alone I may try it, because it can work - especially if you cut off or interrupt another Tom's gobbles, but I'd still be leary to do so due to the risks mentioned above.

I had the B hunt which is now over - didn't get one. Now my son has a tag for the season that just opened 5-04-09. Are the Turkeys still quiet on your ranch ? They still are everywhere we've been looking.

well i have hunted two days now of the hunt that started may 4th and i have not heard one gobble. I have covered a lot of area too so dont think ive been calling from roads trying to locate em. anyone else had any luck with them since last week?

had one talking yesterday morning. He was hot on a hen. He responded to our calls but would not leave the hen he already had. Northern Utah

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom