WHY I GUIDE!

BLACK_PREDATOR

Living the Dream

The sound can send quills and chills down your entire body, the smell is burned into your nose for life, the dust and environment can literally be tasted, the size and majesty is truly eye popping, and then in the end to hold it, feel it,?and of course respect it?.Nothing brings all the senses together like hunting a trophy rut crazed bull elk.

Not everyone has experienced a face to snout encounter with a loud, trophy, rut crazed Bull Elk. But most of us at some point in our hunting career (regardless of the species) have had one or more of our senses triggered in some way that it doesn't matter what it takes, we are doing it again next year.

That's hunting right? We might spend the entire season hunting, glassing, and hiking. Along with 100?s, if not 1000?s of dollars in fuel, food, gear, etc? Never to see a single animal, or at least not one big enough to shoot at.

That is, until that last 5 minutes of light roles around, and your vision is starting to blur and water from spotting and glassing for hours and hours. Just then as the sun is fading and another season is about to end, there he is. On a ridge that is over a ? mile away. At first, it's just a glare of his antler, and then the entire animal comes into view. Our adrenaline takes over and all of our body?s senses immediately start collecting and harnessing data. Time seems to freeze as the image burns into our head and heart. Then, in that moment, we assure ourselves that it's all worth it, and that no matter what, we are going after the ?dream? AGAIN next year.

Well for me I gave up on the dream a few years ago. I decided I am the unluckiest person (other then my brother Todd) that there is when it comes to drawing a ?dream? tag. So I figured since I was already spending hours and days out in the mountains, looking, scouting, and filming elk and deer, and I was clearly never going to draw and live my own dream, that I might as well be helping some lucky hunter live theirs.
For a year or two I tagged along and helped local guys that had drawn out, but soon realized that they had all the help they needed from their own family.

From then on we (my brothers and I) started looking at the draw results for our area and in talking to a few guys realized that many people that drew for our local area, had never been here, or were only vaguely familiar with the area. That was all we needed to hear. We began offering our assistance, and most guys were happy to take it. Most were happy to pay a little for our time and knowledge; others said we should be charging more.

Finally my brothers and I decided that we would make a go at it. Outfitting and guiding that is. But in our minds it was hard to charge somebody for something so fun and exciting, something that we would be doing regardless if we were helping them or not. We started out charging pennies by the hour, literally. One year we helped a guy kill a 370+ bull in two days for $200.00. What a bargain right!

As the seasons, and bucks and bulls went by, we began to be a little more known for our expertise and services in the areas and units surrounding us. We soon had guys that had drawn or bought tags for these areas calling and being referred to us. With the demand higher we decided we had better figure a price that we could all agree with. We decided that we would make it worth our time and expenses but still charge well below the ?normal? guiding rate. Plus we always throw in the bonus of filming the hunt with professional cameras and equipment to give them a great keepsake from their hunt.

Our goal was to be able to make the average hunter, the guy that had been putting in 10+ years of their life, the guy that couldn't afford the ?$ big name guides $?, be able to afford us. Not only afford us, but also have one of the most memorable and successful hunts they have ever been on. This system has worked great for us. We have been able to help some great ?average guys? take some awesome, better then average animals.

The past few years we(my brothers and I) at Black Timber Outfitters have been ?living the dream? though many hunters and sportsmen, and along the way have made some great new friends.

We have harvested and film some monster bulls ranging from 340-390 B&C, while passing on and filming dozens more. We?ve also helped many guys take their first muley, and others take there biggest to date.

Many of our past hunters have begged to come back in future years. They want nothing more then to just be in camp. Offering to cook, wash dishes, scout, or even work as a free pack mule, what ever it takes just to be part of the experience again. Their senses have all be aroused, and they're ready for more. They understand that their dream has just ended and will do anything to be a part of another.
I still put in each year for my local hunts, and have become accustomed to seeing the words ?unsuccessful? but I don't let it effect me anymore. I know that come each fall I'm going to be a part of living another successful season of fulfilled dreams.

enough said.
any questions?
Travis Black
Black Timber Outfitters
Blanding, Ut.

Travis
That was said about as perfect as one can. And anyone who has tasted, smelled or experienced it just wants more. Many of us can only do it one week a year or for a few days, but would love to live your job on a weekly basis. Most of the time, it has nothing to do with the kill itsself, but more what leads up to that moment in time. I have only been on one guided hunt in my life, but I know that guy(Kirk Heaton) wanted nothing more than to see me experience the moment of a lifetime. Thanks for the post.
Yelum

T. Black

Good post ! I think that sums it up for many of us.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

BLACK_PREDATOR

I'M GETTING CLOSE TO HAVING THE 200.00 SAVED FOR THAT 370"+ BULL!!!

ALL I LACK AT THE PRESENT TIME IS THE LE PERMIT!!!

I KEEP TRYING,I KEEP GETTING THE BIG 'UNSUCCESSFUL'!!!

I'LL BET WE CAN SCRATCH MORE THAN 200.00 WORTH OF PAINT OFF YOUR TRUCK IN THE OAK BRUSH???

WAIT A MINUTE,YOUR TRUCK IS LIKE MINE,THERE IS ONLY SCRATCHES ON TOP OF SCRATCHES,I WONDER IF ANY OF THEM HUNTERS REALIZE HOW WE GET OUR PAINT PINSTRIPED & HOW MUCH IT COSTS???

NOW FOR YOU GUY'S THAT WANT TO HIRE A GUIDE WITH NO SCRATCHES ON THEIR BIG BAD F-350 RIG,SEND ME A PM AND I'LL GIVE YOU SOME NAMES,YOU LIKE LEATHER,THEY HAVE THAT TOO,MYSELF I'D BE A LITTLE NERVOUS HIRING A GUIDE THAT WAS DRIVING A 50,000.00 RIG WITHOUT A SCRATCH ON IT!!!

THERE ARE A FEW AROUND BUT I WOULDN'T RECOMEND THEM!!!

TRAVIS,JUST WONDERING IF 200.00 IS ENOUGH IF I PULL THE TAG???LOL!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING THE GUIDES PUTTING OUT 110% DESERVE ALOT MORE THAN WHAT THEY USUALLY END UP WITH!!!

I've seen your "Work".
You are a "Rich" man, regardless of your income.
I get those chills just remembering those special moments that I have been lucky enough to experience.
Great Post.
HH

Well said and very inspiring!!! I did some guiding (paid I should say)for the 1st time last hunting season and had a great time.. thanks for the post.

jeff

travis this is an awsome post.. i have only guided my family and friends but doing pro has always been a dream.. the question i have do you ever get real excited and yell? and if you do does the client undersrand? cuz you know the wife thing got me in trouble her first year! iguess i yelled at her when she wouldn't shot a none typical that she thought was pretty??

Very good read Travis.

Sharing and being a giving person for others is more rewarding than any amount of money recieved as doing 'a job' for them.

Keep the faith--- you and your bro's will draw out and have a great time.

Well said. It is great that there are people still out there like you and your brothers.

If my lucky star shines on me and lets me draw a tag, you will be on my "first call" list!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Do you have another job, or is guiding your only source of income? What do you do during the rest of the year?

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

To those of you that are ?guiding? family and friends keep it up, I consider my Dad my first guide, and with out his love and passion for the outdoors I doubt my brothers and I would be were we are at today. Anytime we can ?teach? or help another fellow hunter (paid or not) or pass on some knowledge or experience to them we are all ?keeping the dream alive?.

Bobcat, I don't think you need our help, but when you draw THIS year (cross you fingers), if you do want some help, let me know I'm sure we can work something out. Maybe trade trucks or something??lol

Harry/YELUM, Thanks for the compliments on the shows, (we are trying to make shows that everyone can relate to, regardless of the size of the animal. About 90% of the people that we take ?draw? their tag and have waited a long long long time to do so, most value the tag enough that they know it's likely to be a once in a lifetime tag, for that reason they ask for a little of our help.)

Harry, was Ed?s show on the Men?s channel or the Sportsmen?s Channel? I haven't see the finished show yet, sounds like it turned out great. Ed is one more reason to guide, to help people like him that have hunted their entire life, and finally drew an area that produces monster bulls, it was definitely a dream come true for Ed, and his tears when the camera wasn?t rolling made it priceless for me.

4x4elk- I have yelled, but never at a hunter/client. I yell when the animal is down in excitement. Sometimes I think I get more excited then the hunter does?..and unfortunately my wife doesn't hunt.

Waygoner?Yes I do have a day job. I work with foster kids. It's not the greatest job, but it can be rewarding. It also gives me flexible time year round and especially time off in the fall. At this point I wouldn't call guiding a ?source of income?. I would love it if it were. But when we figure in all the scouting, fuel, and all the cameras and other equipment that it takes to run the type of ?Outfitting business? we are attempting to run, I'd say we are breaking even. But as I said before, that's not what it's all about for us. We?d be out running around each fall anyway. Whether we were helping someone or not. Of course we hope to start making a little someday, but it will most likely be from shows or videos, not the actual hunt.

Thanks again for the replies,
Good luck to all on drawing their ?dream tags?

Travis

Travis,
Yes I saw it on the mens channel.
I must say that Trail Of The Sportsman has become my favorite hunting show.
Everything about it is done very well.
I truly enjoy your attitude toward what you do.
It's about the love of the outdoors, the quarry and fellow sportsmen who share your beliefs.
I've always tried to be the best hunter I could be when with a guide (Glassing, Cooking, Camp Chores, Packing in and Out etc...)I have made some great friends along the way.
Thanks for your post.
You are a class act.

Travis
Like Harry said, it is a very well done show and one of my favorites. I have enjoyed every episode I've seen. Great bull too. Keep em coming.
Yelum

Great post Travis, but do you ever feel selfish on not being the one that pulls the trigger? I want to hunt as many states and new areas I can. I dont know if I could give up my own hunting to help someone else, not even for the dough. LOL Russ

I don't know but as a guide I feel that my clients success is my own in a way. A lot of the time it is hard to close the distance to make a shot by yourself, let alone with another person. To me, I know I could have killed the animal by myself and it is as much as a trophy in my photo book as it is on the hunters wall. Don't you wish that you could hunt every season for multiple species and get paid and never have to wait to draw a tag? I'm sure most guides will find the time to hunt on their own anyhow, if that's what they want.

Great post Travis! Excellent read. I've only been on one guided hunt in my life. It was on an AR tag in Utah in 2002. I remember my guide asking me on the telephone before I booked the hunt what I expected out of a guide. I told him that I didn't need anyone to make my bed, wash my dishes, or wipe my butt. I just wanted him to know where the elk were at when I got there. I live in Wisconsin, own my own small business, and there was no way that I would be able to scout on my own. I made my own camp, brought my own food...ect.ect. and he led me to the critters. I was fortunate enough to shoot a 360 P&Y net bull on the last night of the hunt. My guide Eric was just as excited as me. I was unable to stand up, let alone talk, after we found the bull dead, but beleive me, Eric did enough yelling for the both of us!
That bull is just as much his as it is mine, and it is a memory that I will never forget.EVER!

Marty

Hey Travis,
Great post! And the "Trail of the Sportsman" is as fun and entertaining to watch as any show out there. I enjoy your running commentary as you hunt. It is hard to slow down enough to explain things, but you do an excellent job at it. I feel the same way as you when you say that you'd be out there anyway even if you were not guiding! I have helped a lot of people find their dream bulls, and get them into position for a shot, and it is really gratifying when it all comes together. I have never got paid for doing these things, but I will continue to do it as long as I am physically able just for the love of it!
Keep up the good work and keep the shows coming!!! I look forward to seeing them. Looking forward to getting your videos too....
Rick
A bad day hunting is better than a Good Day at Work!!

Travis,
Great post! I've been guiding hunters in Utah, New Mexico and Colorado for 17 years and I still get butterflies in my belly when you're putting a stalk on a big bugeling bull. I compare the feeling of helping someone realize their dream of taking a trophy animal here in the west to hearing the national anthem at a ball game or seeing a new born foal stand up and walk for the first time. You are right when you say we are "living a dream " Because that is exactly what we are doing. I guess if I wasn't out there looking for my clients, I would be out there looking for myself or my friends and family. Antlerrick and I are best friends and we both have the same passion and drive for this sport we all love so much. So I guess until I'm to old or they put me in a cedar box on my back I'll continue to help other folks "Realize their dream"
Tell Todd I said "Howdy"
L.T.

Travis

MY FINGERS ARE CROSSED!!!

THEY HAVE BEEN FOR SEVERAL YEARS BUT TO NO AVAIL!!!

I DO APPRECIATE THE OFFER,WHO KNOWS I MIGHT BE OLD & CRIPPLED BEFORE THE TIME COMES,BY THEN I MIGHT NEED YOUR HELP FOR SURE!!!

THE ONLY THING I KNOW FOR SURE IS, IF YOU DON'T HELP ME YOU'LL BE HELPING SOMEBODYELSE IN THE SAME AREA AT THE SAME TIME,I HOPE THE UNIT STAYS AS GOOD FOR MANY YEARS TO COME,BUT THE NEW UDWR TACTICS HAVE GOT ME WORRIED,I KNOW WHAT IT IS AND WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME OF THE SAME IN THE FUTURE!!!

BY THE WAY,THAT IS THE WORST PLACE I'VE EVER BEEN TO GET A COUPLE HOURS OF SLEEP AT NIGHT,TOO DAMN MUCH MUSIC BEING MADE,KNOW WHAT I MEAN???

EITHER WAY,I MIGHT SEE YOU DOWN THERE THIS FALL,I STILL MAKE A COUPLE OF TRIPS DOWN THERE IN THE FALL EVEN THOUGH I'M 'UNSUCCESSFUL',I STILL LIKE THE MUSIC!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING IF IT WILL EVER HAPPEN???,BY THE WAY YOU BLACK BOYS AIN'T THE UNLUCKIEST,SOMEDAY THE LUCK WILL CHANGE & YOU'RE GOING TO BE GUIDING YOURSELF!!!

Nice story.

mule.gif

NBJB

Travis,
I watched you on the Men's Channel last night guide your rifle hunter to a dandy bull.
It was the hunt where he nearly had to shoot the six point in self defense!
Great hunt and great guiding.
you are livin the life!
Thank You!
HH

Why I Guide? I think you should become a writer, and start a post that says "Why I write," ha ha. Very well put. I do not ever plan on using a guide but if I ever do I hope I get to use you or someone like you. Somebody who loves the sport and does it for love and not money. I don't agree with guides. But if they were all like you then I could almost agree with them. I wish you luck in the Draws Travis and if you do not draw then I wish you success this season as you help others fill thier tags. We all have different opinions of what hunting should be and my opinion is just that. An opinion. Although we can disagree among ourselves I'm glad to see that we pulled together to conquer ole Georgie Taulman and other greedy people like him. Goodluck everybody in 2005. fatrooster.

Travis:
Well I can't believe that I did not read your post back two months ago when you posted it. I have to admit back then I wouldn't have known ya but I have been tuning into the men's channel more often now that we have a great weekly show from the west. Anyways I justed wanted to say that I enjoy the way that ya'll run your outfitting business. It definitely seems like ya'll enjoy helping others out and that is a great quality. Anyways good luck to ya this year......
Redelkarcher>>>--------------------->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom