Why is LR good?

"Just curious - how does fair chase fit into the equation?"

As long as he can still run away with his guts hanging out and not tie himself to a tree it is "fair chase".

When a animal is so far away, he doesn't hear or know that he is being shot at, IMO, It's no longer "fair chase".

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Tristate, I think a lot of trophy hunters only care about killing something to make them look good in front of their peers?
I couldn't imagine killing some well known town buck or bull, I hunt for a different reason I guess.

Maybe someday hunting will be a sport where good ethics will be more important than the kill, I hope so, because hunting as we know it is doomed otherwise.

Moving forward. I'll send the first round down the pipe over my quarries back to let him know he better get the hell outta dodge. If he can't put enough distance between he an I on my rebolt, that'll be his prob.

>Moving forward. I'll send the
>first round down the pipe
>over my quarries back to
>let him know he better
>get the hell outta dodge.
>If he can't put enough
>distance between he an I
>on my rebolt, that'll be
>his prob.
> One of the most unintelligent posts so far. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-15 AT 11:19PM (MST)[p]I enjoy the challenge of getting close. IF I shot long range I would have some very large animals on the wall. And the fact of shooting over a 1000 yards one slight movement can send a bullet in a animals butt and by the time I cover that 1000 yards in steep terrain the elk could be miles ahead of me. What bothers me the most is these long range shooting shows is they brag how their client has never shot the gun the before and he magically hits it perfect with but with some editing in the video every shot is perfect. With Gunwerks and best of the west being where I live I get to see the guys set up far away on purpose to of course make a show. A lot of the hunts I watch is far shots with other animals behind the one being shot. people soak these shows in and think they can do this. Its not for everyone. With a little bit of cash and a device for wind and knowing your load longe range is quite simple.

but to look at the other side of the table short range shooters make bad shots and bad calls to. it goes both ways. hunting shows edit for the short range shooters to. bad shots happen. animals behind animals. The topic can run deep in many ways of knocking both sides.

so in conclusion im not here to knock you long range shooters. you do what you want and I will enjoy closing the distance on a animal and setting myself a challenge and getting to a range I feel comfortable at. I have had a lot of big animals be to far to where I didn't have enough daylight time to close the distance or a mistake of making noise. But to me that's what enjoy about hunting. it isn't always about the kill

I to enjoy shooting long range. But its a 22-250 for the target range to see how good I can judge wind and distance. Also for the prairie dogs but that's about it.

nfh said, ".With a little bit of cash and a device for wind and knowing your load long range is quite simple."

What "device for wind" are you referring to? None that i know of read the wind 1/2 a mile away, 1/2 and again 3/4s the way to the target. None read across canyons where it could be blowing the complete other way.

I call you on this because you used that statement to balance your argument. Judging wind currents, strengths, and then predict exactly what they will be doing when the gun goes off is nothing more than vague guesswork. Nothing "quite simple" about it.

Read AWHOLELOTTABULL's post again, if not me, believe him!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-15 AT 11:53AM (MST)[p]

"Why is LR good?"

Because it helps "ME" get an animal that would otherwise be unattainable for my hunting skills. I have tried, and I just can't get closer than 1000 yards! But I am not so much in favor of "YOU" doing LR. Why, the last time I was setting up for a 600 yard shot on a deer, someone 1200 yards away got it first!

After all, this is a "ME" generation isn't it?? I love spending time at the range, but when I go to the woods, I want to "get ur done".

Taking tongue out of cheek: I like AWHOLELOTTAbULL'S post as well.

And there are a handful of people to whom LR is second nature, and they enjoy the challenge of taking game that way, and to them I say "power to you"! But I still contend that people who can put it all together are few and far between. The notion that this is a skill that can easily be taught to anyone, is not a reality IMO. From the actual skill set of the shooter to the variables (range, wind, angle of the shot, etc.....) to the time and effort required to get good enough, it is still rare to have a person who can do it all.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Ya but with a half a dozen rounds you can walk it into somewhere in the middle of an animal.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-15 AT 03:51PM (MST)[p]>nfh said, ".With a little bit
>of cash and a device
>for wind and knowing your
>load long range is quite
>simple."
>
>What "device for wind" are you
>referring to? None that i
>know of read the wind
>1/2 a mile away, 1/2
>and again 3/4s the way
>to the target. None read
>across canyons where it could
>be blowing the complete other
>way.
>
>I call you on this because
>you used that statement to
>balance your argument. Judging wind
>currents, strengths, and then predict
>exactly what they will be
>doing when the gun goes
>off is nothing more than
>vague guesswork. Nothing "quite simple"
>about it.
>
>Read AWHOLELOTTABULL's post again, if not
>me, believe him!
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

Some guys use a Anemometer. Which doesn't always help when guys shoot across canyons where the wind swirls like crazy and that cant be judged.

As I stated I do long range for other things. My thrill is the stalk. Those who want to hunt long range then that is the thrill they get from hunting. hundred guys equals a hundred ways

In a 1000 yard tournament, there are flags posted at different distances out to the target at 1000 yards. 9 out of 10 times each flag is blowing a different direction at the same time. So when someone tells me using a wind indicator makes it "simple" I really have to chuckle. This is naive at best. There is a skill to judging wind, and that skill comprises about 30% of your judgement. Another 40% goes to A LOT of exeperience (years) and the other 30% chalk up to luck. It's that last 30% (the luck part) that keeps me from flinging lead at extreme distances. That's not good enough for me.

It's always an adventure!!!

>>Moving forward. I'll send the
>>first round down the pipe
>>over my quarries back to
>>let him know he better
>>get the hell outta dodge.
>>If he can't put enough
>>distance between he an I
>>on my rebolt, that'll be
>>his prob.
>> One of the most unintelligent posts so far. mtmuley

For those of you less fortunate borderline retarded individuals it was meant it sarcasm. What I should of made clear I guess that nothing will just be good enough. Sorry you couldn't pick up what I was putting down.

nfh replied, "Some guys use a Anemometer. Which doesn't always help when guys shoot across canyons"

lol, doesn't always help? How about they never help across canyons! Long range for big game is not as "quite simple" as many out there would have us believe.

Not picking on you nfh, just pointing out a popular misnomer that long range shooting is a near exact science that can be dialed in with the proper equipment. It's not, it can't be other than in a environmental controlled indoor enclosure or a vacuum. It's guesswork and the Animal deserves better.

Joey

I'm am very concerned with quick kills on any big game animal I shoot at, which is why I started employing the LR tactics. They helped me to take out the guess work. I now know, much more than I did before, when I can and when I can not reliably take a shot.

The factors that influence my decision are more about: alerrtness of the animal and how much they are moving, wind, position the critterr is in, and how steady a rest(prone) I can get especially on uneven or slopped ground. Given these factors I can feel about 95-98% confident in taking a shot to 800-1000 yds and hitting within the kill zone on my given critter. In some condiitions i will not take any shot, but if a critter is calm and unaware and the wind is under 10mph, there would be a rare situation where up to a 500yd shot would be outside my 95% comfort zone.

Now, I can honestly say I have not lost an animal since I was 19 years old. I have only tracked one more than 40 yards in 11 years, and that went less than 100 with a solid lung shot. This includes only about 20 animals the last 11 years ranging from wild hogs to bull elk. I greatly desire to kill a nice 6x6 bull and have had 2 in my crosshairs and did not pull the trigger on either because of the conditions, the last being 400 yds with a good rest, but he was walking and never stood still. I'm not bragging as I expect the same from my boys, "don't shoot unless you are sure of the shot".

Yes I like to shoot long, it's fun. I like to shoot period. LR shooting and knowing your weapon, your loads, your conditions, are all a challenge to be mastered. I shoot about 200 rounds a year, plus work with family and friends regularly. Again I do this because, taking chances on any animal's suffering in unacceptable.

I am positive some guys feel about working out, or shed hunting, or studying draw odd's in 20 states the way I feel about shooting so they don't either have the time or the interest to put in the work I do, or other's like me do. They find more success in other ways maybe. Good for them, I don't begrudge them.

I am also positive that way too many hunters don't practice enough, or master their hunting weapon of choice and end up wounding game at a much much higher rate than whould be acceptable. They may wound one or more animals before filling their tag. This is waste, but somehow is okay. Too many stories on here of the big one that was wounded and got away. Yes this can happen in the best of circumstances as animals do move unexpectantly, bullets can fail, etc, but simply missing or hitting a back leg, etc is usually simply operator error and unacceptable no matter the range.

I despise the "I put 5 shots through bessie the day before the opener to be sure the scope is stil on" mentality more than anything, because somehow that is more manly. Some weapons are simply not effective and prone to wounding instead of killing, particularly when not mastered. I put muzzleloaders, handguns, and bows in this category. Think how at 60 yards with an arrow in a 10mph wind with a 10deg angle, and a deer/elk that is much more likely to be spooked by the near by hunter, is MUCH more likely to end in a wounded animal unfound.

Of course, I dislike the guy driving the F350 with smoke stacks, the huge deer skull on his back window, and the set of fake bull balls on his hitch, that buys the latest carbon fiber wrapped, Ultra Mag, shooting 120 gr bullets at 4000fps to kill chit at 1000+ yds on u-tube the most, mostly because it's simply arrogant and a recipe for a wounded animal, but he isn't much different than the others I mentioned as they all are taking irresponsible shots, he's just easier to dislike.

Now, to all you high and mighty, NO ONE HAS ANY BUSINESS SHOOTING PAST 300 yds, you are simply misguided and more likelly to wound an animal than I or others that practice and put in the time that I do.

Just remember that no matter what your weaapon is, as Dirty Harry said, "A man's gotta know his limitations".

Whatever LR is I guess. To me it's anything past MPBR. I guess to me it's more of a style of hunting. When I was young and over zealous, I used to burn the boot leather blowing through deer country hoping to get a shot at a fleeing buck. I made this work and got pretty handy at offhand shooting along the way.

As I learned marksmanship, I quickly came to the realization that even with the variables that Bull mentions, LR is still much more foolproof than offhand at moving game.

So. I changed up my style and have been much more successful. Not necessarily shooting LR, but using more of a strategic positioning and shooting from a rested position method. I can and will take shots from 300-500 yards. The animals have no idea that I'm there and once I get a sight picture it's over.

I guess it sounds pretty unfair but most hunting is. We use all kinds of advanced shooting equipment(bow, muzzy, rifle), fancy vehicles, optics, mapping, electronics, scent killer,camouflage, game cams, tree stands, professional guides, even aircraft in some cases.....then we saturate the woods with so many people that the animals really don't have the ability to avoid contact.

So it's not really fair, never has been never will be. It is fun. That's why we do it. People who try to rationalize some sort of fairness are dishonest. I choose to concentrate more on respect than fairness.

I don't condone shooting beyond one's ability. For most folks that distance would be about 50 yards offhand at running game. How come that is never a topic of discussion???---------SS

>I see long range rifles and
>shooting as nothing different than
>all the other pieces of
>equipment that many of us
>have that make us better
>at killing stuff. It'll probably
>only get worse. 20 years
>from now we'll be wishing
>it were still like it
>is now. Unless things change
>and sportsman force limits upon
>themselves, we will continue to
>become more and more effective
>at harvesting animals, and with
>it being a very limited
>resource, tags will continue to
>decline and opportunity will also
>decline. Look at the change
>in the past 10 years,
>and how much less opportunity
>there is. Crazy if you
>ask me.
>
>Hopefully sportsman will find a way
>to limit the use of
>the technology that we have
>available now and most importantly,
>what is still to come.
>
>
>Brian Latturner
>MonsterMuleys.com
>Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!
>I need a friend....

I agree with this. I think the most effective technology to limit would be optics. Even most primitive bow hunters have a nice pair of binoculars hanging around their neck and sneak up on animals that they bedded with their 60X spotting scope.

Optical technology kills far more animals and lends way more advantage to hunters than any LR Rifle. So for all you who are super concerned, leave the Swarovski's and the Vortex at home and convince others to do the same.---SS

>I'm am very concerned with quick
>kills on any big game
>animal I shoot at, which
>is why I started employing
>the LR tactics. They
>helped me to take out
>the guess work. I
>now know, much more than
>I did before, when I
>can and when I can
>not reliably take a shot.
>
>
>The factors that influence my decision
>are more about: alerrtness
>of the animal and how
>much they are moving, wind,
>position the critterr is in,
>and how steady a rest(prone)
>I can get especially on
>uneven or slopped ground.
>Given these factors I can
>feel about 95-98% confident in
>taking a shot to 800-1000
>yds and hitting within the
>kill zone on my given
>critter. In some condiitions
>i will not take any
>shot, but if a critter
>is calm and unaware and
>the wind is under 10mph,
>there would be a rare
>situation where up to a
>500yd shot would be outside
>my 95% comfort zone.
>
>Now, I can honestly say I
>have not lost an animal
>since I was 19 years
>old. I have only
>tracked one more than 40
>yards in 11 years, and
>that went less than 100
>with a solid lung shot.
> This includes only about
>20 animals the last 11
>years ranging from wild hogs
>to bull elk. I
>greatly desire to kill a
>nice 6x6 bull and have
>had 2 in my crosshairs
>and did not pull the
>trigger on either because of
>the conditions, the last being
>400 yds with a good
>rest, but he was walking
>and never stood still.
>I'm not bragging as I
>expect the same from my
>boys, "don't shoot unless you
>are sure of the shot".
>
>
>Yes I like to shoot long,
>it's fun. I like
>to shoot period. LR
>shooting and knowing your weapon,
>your loads, your conditions, are
>all a challenge to be
>mastered. I shoot about
>200 rounds a year, plus
>work with family and friends
>regularly. Again I do
>this because, taking chances on
>any animal's suffering in unacceptable.
>
>
>I am positive some guys feel
>about working out, or shed
>hunting, or studying draw odd's
>in 20 states the way
>I feel about shooting so
>they don't either have the
>time or the interest to
>put in the work I
>do, or other's like me
>do. They find more
>success in other ways maybe.
> Good for them, I
>don't begrudge them.
>
>I am also positive that way
>too many hunters don't practice
>enough, or master their hunting
>weapon of choice and end
>up wounding game at a
>much much higher rate than
>whould be acceptable. They
>may wound one or more
>animals before filling their tag.
> This is waste, but
>somehow is okay. Too
>many stories on here of
>the big one that was
>wounded and got away.
>Yes this can happen in
>the best of circumstances as
>animals do move unexpectantly, bullets
>can fail, etc, but simply
>missing or hitting a back
>leg, etc is usually simply
>operator error and unacceptable no
>matter the range.
>
>I despise the "I put 5
>shots through bessie the day
>before the opener to be
>sure the scope is stil
>on" mentality more than anything,
>because somehow that is more
>manly. Some weapons are
>simply not effective and prone
>to wounding instead of killing,
>particularly when not mastered.
>I put muzzleloaders, handguns, and
>bows in this category.
>Think how at 60
>yards with an arrow in
>a 10mph wind with a
>10deg angle, and a deer/elk
>that is much more likely
>to be spooked by the
>near by hunter, is MUCH
>more likely to end in
>a wounded animal unfound.
>
>Of course, I dislike the guy
>driving the F350 with smoke
>stacks, the huge deer skull
>on his back window, and
>the set of fake bull
>balls on his hitch, that
>buys the latest carbon fiber
>wrapped, Ultra Mag, shooting 120
>gr bullets at 4000fps to
>kill chit at 1000+ yds
>on u-tube the most, mostly
>because it's simply arrogant and
>a recipe for a wounded
>animal, but he isn't much
>different than the others I
>mentioned as they all are
>taking irresponsible shots, he's just
>easier to dislike.
>
>Now, to all you high and
>mighty, NO ONE HAS ANY
>BUSINESS SHOOTING PAST 300 yds,
>you are simply misguided and
>more likelly to wound an
>animal than I or others
>that practice and put in
>the time that I do.
>
>
>Just remember that no matter what
>your weaapon is, as Dirty
>Harry said, "A man's gotta
>know his limitations".

Everything you say pretty much proves you are one that LR was meant for. But it also proves that you are indeed rare in this world. I suspect no more than 1 in 100 of us out here have the drive, the passion, the skills, the mental calmness, the practice time, the equipment etc, to pull it off.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

BPKhunter got it right except for one small detail:
Those fake bull-balls are usually on Dodge trucks. I don't know why their operators want to drive a d!ck around all the time. Do they think they're sperm or something? LOL

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom