wife bought me swarovskis

BIGOLMULEY

LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-03 AT 09:46PM (MST)[p]She bought me el 10x42 for christmas. But I don't think I can keep them. I came home and found she had taken about $2500 out of our emergency/finish the basement fund. Of course I flipped out, and demanded to know what she had taken the money for. I knew she wanted to buy them for me, but I just couldn't spend the money on them. And told her not to even think about it. Well, she brought them in and said I could take them back, if I wanted to. I don't know what to do. I can't even open them up, I know I wouldn't be able to take them back, but we really can't afford it. I know she meant well, but she also took extra for more christmas stuff, and now we don't have enough for the basement and nothing for emergencys. What makes me mad is every time I would look at them, I will remember she took that money without even talking to me. I know this sounds like a no brainer "wife gives swarovskis, just take them and be happy", but my wife tends to spend money with no regard to the future. I strive to save money, so I can give my family a nice life, and hunt as much as possible, but it's tough with a wife who can't control herself. I just wish she wouldv'e bought something for her, instead of the item I've been desiring for the last two years. Then I could just tell her to take it back, and that would be that.

Sounds to me like your wife is a keeper! There is no question that she meant well. Your in a tough position though, if you keep the binos you are setting a precedent for future purchases that may or may not be for you. There could always be the "you kept the Swarovskis" arguement. You know your wife, if she will hold this over your head then return them, the short term gain would not be worth the long term headache but if she wont hold it over your head and really wanted you to have them then open them up and enjoy them for the rest of your life. Keep us informed.

Drummond

sounds like she did buy something for herself or she paid WAY too much for the el's. Make her happy and keep them

JB

From how you made your situation sound you probably wouldn't regret taking them back. Then take some time to save up for them and shop around. You shouldn't have a hard time finding a better deal than $2500 for EL 10x42. If my wife was like yours I would talk to her about creating a savings account that she can't access.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-03 AT 10:13PM (MST)[p]no she did not pay $2500 for them. $1550.00. She took the rest for herself to spend on presents for Christmas. We had already talked about how much to spend and had set aside that money. But she didn't think it was enough. She wouldn't hold it over my head, she's not that way. I guess my real problem is do I take them back to teach a lesson? Or keep them and hope she learned from the argument? And forget the basement for another year? I want them bad, but... man that is a lot of money for a pair of binos. Although I bought myself the ATS 65's last year and will never regret it, especially as I looked at my Wyoming 29" buck at just over a mile away! By the way, the money was in our safe, inside a combination box that only I know the combo for, she picked at the combo for months, and finally figured it out, 176, the score of my wyoming buck. That's why I am so upset, she knows she has a problem, but can't control it. She really does try.

Take them back and buy a pair of Zeiss classics for 1/2 the price in Cabelas....I'll put the classics up against ANY bino and for 699.99 how can you go wrong...Atleast you'll have some money left in the emergency fund....

I'm with BrianID on this. To me it is more important to have a "buffer" in the bank than new optics. Save up a little at a time and get them down the road. You do need to have a talk with her about her spending. I went through this with my wife just after we were married. I was layed off and she bought me a $1800 roping saddle that I had wanted for quite some time. We took it back, I saved up and got it myself about 6 months later at half the price. It is a good thing that we took it back because less than a week later our Bronco went t!ts up and it cost almost $1000 to get it fixed. If I would have kept the saddle, we would have been in a world of hurt.
Eric
Bird-01.gif
075313.gif

costumed-smiley-024.gif

Life long "vagitarian"
la.gif

Tell ya what
Send em to me and I'll hold on to them for you until you guys decide what to do :D

-Cass

Well, you asked for some advice, so here tis:

Take back the bino's and buy the Zeiss. Take her with you. Take the difference in price (s/b about $850) and go open a savings account, at a bank, in YOUR NAME ONLY for your "emergency fund".

Make sure she understands how much you want the Swaro's, but at this time, we have to economize, and so on. See if you can get her to take back some of her stuff and go a little cheaper, putting the difference in the bank. You will sure feel better and maybe she will learn something.

Good luck man.

whats with all the sissy advice ? man lay the smack down on that woman for taking what isn't hers, >>Golden rule: Whats hers is mine and what mine is mine that is unless she doesn't have anything.

OK, I am joking, but you gotta give her a few points for knowing what you really wanted and doing what it took to get them. She must be paying attention to you drooling over the Swarovski's while watching the Outdoor Channel.

Like the other fella's said take em back and buy something of quality that you can afford or open a Swarovski savings fund and save up for the bino's.

(What is it about women that makes them wanna spend money as fast as they or you make it ? I have the same problem we both have good jobs but I put save wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more than she does. Must be in the genetics huh?)

Well, I can't empathize with you because that scenario would never happen in my family circle. My wife would never consider spending even a fraction of $1500 for a hunting toy or, for that matter anything for Christmas. So I have a different problem, but it keeps me in check so I don't go blow my entire paycheck on a new rifle.

I agree with the comments of the others. Swarovski's are nice, but are not affordable for the majority of the hunting population. Optics for even half the price is still expensive to me, but if I were in your shoes that is what I would do.

Good luck,

KP

TAKE THEM BACK after x-mas the big places Bass-pro,Cabelas Mid-South & Natchez all have a ton of returned items that they sell at half off or a little higher. Wait for one of those deals. Last year in Kansas City Cabelas their was about 6 or 7 pairs of them for around $900 I brought a pair of 8x30 for $580 I believe they was the best deal. Just call some of the big ones and check to see if they have any in their secondhand shops.GOOD LUCK

I'm backing "idhunters" about the savings account. That's GREAT advice (I'm going to do the same thing!)

If my gal had picked the combo on my safe and spent that much $$$ on ANYTHING, you'd all be reading about it in the papers... and posting "Did you hear about that guy in San Diego? - Jeez, I'd never do that!" j/k.

Idhunter gave some great advice!

Take the binos back, divorce the wife and send her my way. I will send you mine, you two should get along great. j/k

seriously though, screw the emergency fund. That is why god invented credit. Let the basement wait another year as well, your not going to have any time to be messing with any of that anyways - you'll be in the field playing with your new binos.

not very responsible sounding eh? No offense, but you really do sound like a male version of my wife, and I have had this argument with her a thousand times. Here is the short version:

Money in the bank that is not earmarked for anything, has absolutly NO VALUE!! (this is assuming you have good credit and have access to it in times of need)

So live a little, blow some money, it's good for the soul..

All that being said, I still don't have the Swaros I have been jonzin for either. Seems like every time I get enough $ saved up, hunting season is long over but fishing season is just getting started........there goes the bino fund......again.

I do believe I will take them back. Although I am having a tough time with it. I made the mistake of taking them out of the box, bad mistake. But I think I will save for awhile. She did take back a bunch of stuff and put back about $700.00. She is feeling pretty bad. My Pentax 10X42 are still good, just a little scratched. Someday, they will be mine. I will check out Cabelas and the like, we will see about that. Hey thanks for the comments, seems like a dumb thing to me to talk about, but I wondered if anyone else had a comment or been in a similar situation. Now if I can just make myself go to the store tommorow.

That's a ton of cash, but believe me, if she didn't love you, she wouldn't have dropped that much money on you. I got a 3 pack of boxers and a Starbuck's Gift certificate I'll trade you for.

Consider yourself fortunate and get a part time job just long enough to re-establish your emergency fund. It will all work out.

Here's my worthless advice.

It sounds like she has already returned some items and is feeling pretty bad...if you keep the Swarovskis they will forever be a point of contention in your relationship and you end up the 'bad guy'.

I'd return them and buy her a Christmas present that is something she has always wanted but could not afford.

She ends up happy, you end up looking like a stud the lesson has been learned, and in the future you can purchase the Swarovskis guilt free.

Good binos are worthless compared to a good marriage.

Man, Edlebrock said it, looks like we've a new wise member! Welcome! I second his post.

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome, right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Oh ya, hey PolarBear, what kind of saddle did you get? Wouldn't happen to be custom made from a guy of the name of Ralph Shimmon? My dad has a saddle from him that we got for I think $1100. Awesome, best saddle we've had, he's been in business since 1947.

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome, right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

I don't know about 'wise', I'm divorced :O( Thanks for the welcome Michael...

well this is what I have decided to do. We had a big talk, and it boiled down to, every year I buy her big expensive presents, and she doesn't have the money to buy me anything.(I buy her bigger and more expensive presents, 'cuz I tend to buy myseld stuff all year long and I feel guilty about that) So I explained that to her, and told her that yes these bino's are the one thing I most desire, but they are truely overpriced, but are the best out there. I told her to have a present under the tree come Christmas morning, with either the binos in there or the money either way I will be happy. If it is the binos then the basement waits. I shouldn't have took them out of the box, I am pretty sure she will not take them back. Thanks for all the replies to my little soap opera.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom