Wife's Oryx

huntswnm

Well, she did it! My wife had an Oryx hunt this weekend on the WSMR. We saw quite a few Oryx, but they were pretty spooky and it was tough to get within even 500 yards. We had time for about one more stalk on Saturday evening and found a lone bull that had not seen us yet. We were eventually able to get to within 200 yards of him when she put him down. He is a decent size measuring 30" and 31". Due to the time restrictions we were only able to gut him and had to leave him overnight. Luckily when we got back this morning nothing had eaten on him through the night and the meat was cold. We ended up having to quarter him out and pack him out about 3/4 mile to the truck. These pictures are once we got home.
Jeff

47cb67ce0790b0fb.jpg

47cb680a08cb1fb4.jpg

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

looks like a nice heavy bull.

Congrats to your wife. Looks like it was a great experience.

Gonna have some good eating to!

That's awesome! I wished my wife was into it.
Why did you have to leave it overnight? Do you have to be off-range by dark?
Why did you have to pack it out? Aren't you alowed to drive off road to recover game?
Sorry for so many questions, but I'm hoping to draw that tag and need to learn "the ropes".
Thanks, DB.

I think I posted that it was 30" and 31" horn length.
Yes, on Saturday evening we had to be off the range within 2 hours after sunset. However we were not even close to cell phone service to contact the dispatch center to tell them we would be there after dark. So we figured we would use to much time driving to cell phone service and then turning around and going all the way back up and really eating into the two hours. So we opted to leave it overnight. It was not the best feeling in the world but really had no other option. Luckily it turned out OK. And yes, you can drive off road, however the area she was assigned, the Northern San Andres range, is mostly mountainous terrain and there was no way we were going to get a truck close to this animal. Like I said, none of the ones we saw were even within shooting range from a road.

Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Great Bull!! Helped a friend out this weekend who killed a 35 1/2" cow. Great Hunt! So much fun! I can't wait until I or my dad draw. We had over a 100 head within range the first day. Oh I hope the Colonel draws also.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom