Wild horses

beaston

Hello everyone!
After a year of elk hunting in the southwestern desert and witnessing the presence of wild horses, I've chosen to focus my school research paper on the effects of wild horse overpopulation in Utah. I'm looking for someone who would be willing to participate in an interview for my research. I understand it's a significant request, and I'm flexible with scheduling. Ideally, I'd like to speak with someone who is directly involved in addressing this issue, as it would provide valuable insights from your perspective. I also plan to interview the BLM. If you're interested, please feel free to send me a private message. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I have a lot of links on my home computer I'll share with you. I've been as staunch an opponent as possible against the feral horses for the last 10 years or so. I'll do whatever I can to help you.

Start with the BLM's website for some basic stats, and maybe you can get an interview with them as well.

Last week while hunting pronghorn with my boys in the west desert snake valley unit I wondered to myself if and how much mountain lions prey on FERAL horses. I don't recall ever hearing one way or the other but seeing how mean those stallions are I figured it's probably minimal.
Anyway here is some good news I came across when I looked it up. I was a little surprised to see the differences between female and male cats. https://wildlife.org/jwm-cougars-prey-on-feral-horses-in-the-great-basin/

What university are you at?
USU and BYU have faculty there that would be good contacts. For sure talk to BLM. Also you can look up how much is spent on care for horses taken off the range and keep at holding facilities.

A volunteer that worked in The Debque CO book cliffs horse herd told me that lions had a very minimum effect in that area. She was a retired school teacher and had spent a number of years injecting birth control on the mares. She said she had never seen any evidence of a lion kill and there are a lot of lions in that area. I had the game camera photos tp prove it.

I believe there is a doctorate student from Utah State doing a current study on mt. lions and feral horses in unit 24 in Nevada. I would be interested in those results.

They need to be managed. They’ve destroyed water sources, they’ve made the seeps and springs look like Ray Charles was in there with a back hoe. Surprising Don p hasn’t gone to the legislature and got some funding ponyied up to entertain the issue.
He ain't figured out how to.pocket 50-60% of the funds so he's not interested in it

who protects the horses? Are they under state control or federal control? Are these horses ones that the Indians left or ones that people get tired of feeding and housing and dump them off ?

Most feral horses are on BLM land. I think that the herds are a mix of escaped domestic and ones that were just turned loose in the past. A few years ago when horse prices were really low, hay prices were high and there was a drought a lot of "new" horses showed up in the area I was familiar with. Some probably can be traced back to the westward migration.

They need to be managed. They’ve destroyed water sources, they’ve made the seeps and springs look like Ray Charles was in there with a back hoe. Surprising Don p hasn’t gone to the legislature and got some funding ponyied up to entertain the issue.
I’m thinking that’s because him “Don” and his WLH cronies don’t hunt where feral horses mess with $high dollar tags…

Feral horses are protected by federal law and bleeding heart congress people won't let blm follow the law as written (they put riders on their funding to what they can and cant do). The horse advocate organizations are full of misinformation and pull in hundreds of millions of dollars to further their agendas. I've often wondered why sportsmans groups don't put up more of a fight. Feral horses obviously have significant impacts to mule deer and other wildlife.

I’m thinking that’s because him “Don” and his WLH cronies don’t hunt where feral horses mess with $high dollar tags…
True and I can’t agree more, but maybe just maybe by the grace of Don if there was a hunt able population of Black bear where the aforementioned citrus bearing outfitter could run a few of his Heaven sent world class hounds off a desert “feral” Equine (albeit possibly/alledged lead poisoned) carcasses then maybe there’d be a few more split hooves ungulates on the land scape and we can all attend the WHCE with no hat Brimz discrimination from the ole timers. Best of luck in the up coming hunts.

IMG_6863.jpeg

So I’m actually still in highschool but I am in CE English 1010 for a Utah Tech so that’s what university I am at thanks so much for the info guys I appreciate it I got into contact with the BLM on Friday they are helping me set up a interview but overall everything is working out the biggest problem with the horses is there population by far they are way to many feral horses in areas there should not be as many that’s the most shocking information I have found but thanks guys for the help!

I applaud your efforts to raise awareness to the feral horses that plague so many areas. That said, holy **** boy…… My 11 year old has better punctuation and that isn’t saying much! That last post is harder on the eyes than elkassassin’s posts.

See doz!

Mine Ain't That Bad!:D

I applaud your efforts to raise awareness to the feral horses that plague so many areas. That said, holy **** boy…… My 11 year old has better punctuation and that isn’t saying much! That last post is harder on the eyes than elkassassin’s posts.

I have seen feral horses in the Book Cliffs unit for many years, including in the Roadless Area. This year, as a first for me, I saw horses along the Divide Road. So yeah, I'd say they are getting out of hand, as beautiful and majestic as horses are, we gotta learn and adapt to their population growing...

Saw more ferals antelope hunting this year than I should've. 1 is 1 too many.

I once had a USFS ranger whose district is over ran with them tell me they should all be eradicated like the weeds they are.

I know I'm a little late, but I finally got around to posting my essay here!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom