wilderness area

carterj16

This will be my 1st year doing NM for elk. Is there wilderness areas I need an outfitter in like Wyoming or am I good to hunt any public land self guided
thanks

Real easy...Wyoming is not denying you access to Federal Lands. They're denying you the privilege of hunting their big-game in them.

The State of Wyoming has the absolute right to define where a NR (or R for that matter) can and can not hunt their game.

No different than the State having private land only tags, archery only tags, caliber restrictions, or any other regulation put on hunting.

Its been taken to court and upheld.

All that said, as a resident of Wyoming, I think the law is ridiculous. Its a give-away to the outfitters.

Its about as ridiculous as the state of NM allowing outfitters to control 10% of the available NR tags. Or for the State of New Mexico to allow transferable landowner tags (that take away thousands of tags annually from both R and NR).

I also think its ridiculous that NM limits DIY NR's to a pitance of available tags.

But, again, all that being said, its NM's wildlife to control as they see fit.

New Mexico is not exactly kind to NR, DIY hunters.

"New Mexico is not exactly kind to NR, DIY hunters"

that's what you get when you have outfitters and landowners on the commission. obviously they have more pull.

>Real easy...Wyoming is not denying you
>access to Federal Lands. They're
>denying you the privilege of
>hunting their big-game in them.
>
>
>The State of Wyoming has the
>absolute right to define where
>a NR (or R for
>that matter) can and can
>not hunt their game.
>
>
Buzz:

The state owns the wildlife and absolutely has the right to regulate if an animal can be taken (by issuing a license or tag) and who can do it (Resident or non res). I guess I am not clear on how that empowers them to regulate access to Federal Land.

These discussions always seem to go 'round and 'round.

I don't think of it as regulating access to Federal land. More accurate to say they regulate the manner in which a hunter may take an animal for which they have a license. For example, a non-resident can hunt grouse or coyotes in the wilderness without a guide. Fishing is the same way. Big game has different rules.

Access is 'carte blanche' (mostly) but hunting... not so much.

Its no different than defining a hunting unit boundary where your license is valid. No different than defining whether a tag is valid on private land only, or public land only.

Your right to access the land is not being taken away under Wyoming Wilderness guide law. You can access it all-day long, just cant hunt the STATES BIG GAME animals within the boundary.

Look, I'm not endorsing this law, in fact, I hate it even though its a good deal for me in a selfish way. I'd like to see it repealed as much as anyone...and its just another outfitter welfare system. I dont like the law.

But, I'm just telling you that:

1. You arent being locked out of wilderness areas, you're free to access them 365 days a year, just not hunt state owned big-game in them without a guide or a WY resident with you.

2. Wyoming is within its States Rights to tell you where your deer, elk, pronghorn tags are valid and not valid.

Its just that simple.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-14 AT 09:14AM (MST)[p]BuzzH,

The gentleman is inquiring about New Mexico.

Take you carpetbagger ways back to WY and MT and suck up to the Wildlife Federation , Trout Unlimited and Teddy Roosevelt Conservation Partnership organizations where your green agenda can be promoted among your NWF friends. Maybe the Ted Turner Endangered Species folks can give you more funding to put forth your idealistic green propaganda on MM, and get some more funding to promote more predators.

Maybe your Wyoming Sportsmen's Alliance and your Montana Sportsmen's Alliance can put some more bumper stickers on your vehicles and discriminate against the non-resident sportsman.

Drop it fellas, lets not turn the NM forum into the General Hunting or Campfire. Plenty of arguing going on over there if that is what your are looking for.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

I think you could drop the plural on fella(s)...the only one being a d-bag is stoney...

I explained the law in Wyoming, which most appreciate.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom