Will lose my hunting buddy for 2 years!

steelheader

Just had a great hunting season with my son, last one for two years as he heads for a mission in NY,NY on Dec. 19th. He has stuck with me since he was 5 and never complaned. I Think he has a love of hunting a lot of kids his age just dont have. I just want him to know how much I love him, I know he will do a great job for the people of NY. As long as he doesnt come back a yankees fan!
1402family_pics_2012_071.jpg

4142family_pics_2012_731.jpg

6539family_pics_2012_332.jpg

The blessings will far outweigh the sacrifice of an absent hunting partener. I remember being in his shoes, tough to leave, rewarding when I came home just in time for the elk hunt. Killed my first elk that year. Keep him focused.

Just lost my huntn buddie today took him to the mtc going to Louisville Kentucky. He was in the last yr of ded hunter we have been huntn since aug 20 what a blast we had but it was tough today to say goodbye.

Congrats to you on raising a boy who puts God and family above all else........not easy to do. Despite our absolute love of hunting and all that it entails.........some things are simply more important. His two years will do more than a lifetime of hunting could give him.......but you can do both. When he gets back, I'll bet the two of you spend plenty of opening mornings together in the mountains you've walked together since he was a boy. Well done and a good tribute to your son.
Kip

good for him. i went to NY Utica. I went in to the MTC on the first of Oct. I still remember being there and thinking " Man i want to go hunting sooo bad!" pretty hard to keep focused during that time of year. At least he got one last hunting trip in before he went>

You'll miss him but he'll leave as a boy and return as a man.
There will be other times and other place where you two can hunt.
Life's only constant is change!
Good luck to your son,
Zeke

I remember when I left my dad purchased a timer that he set for two years. In all of his letters he would tell me how many days I had left. It was pretty funny at first but I finally had to tell him to stop. I returned home from Brazil on the second to last day of the duck hunt. The next morning we went out and limited out! It was a hunt that I will never forget and of course, the mission taught me lessons I will never forget.

Hats off to you for being a good example to your son and raising him up to hunt and serve. The best missionaries are those that know how to hunt.

2 years goes fast. My middle son comes home from NC in February just in time to start locating bucks for shed season. I sure missed him on my bull hunt this year though. Best of luck to your son.

Looks like some great times there! Tell him to enjoy his mission and put his all in it. There will be plenty of hunting, ball playing and girls to chase when he gets back.

The time will fly! New york is a neat place! I wish him well! I have 3 sons and I hope and pray they all go on a mission.

Sounds like a great kid - nothing better than hunting to teach a young person how to persevere through trials, work hard, and accomplish goals. Those things will serve him well as he fulfills his mission. Best of luck to him in NY!!

When I went on my mission to California, it was tough to leave the hunting behind, but I quickly realized there were more important things to focus on. I also found out that when I returned home, I appreciated the times I had to hunt with family and friends that much more and my passion for hunting had even increased, which I didn't think was possible at 19 years old.

Good luck to your son... Make sure you keep putting him in for points in the draw so he will be two points closer to that next hunting adventure

Not a religious guy myself but you have to appreciate making commitments and following through!!! I had to take my buddy home to get to school on the elk hunt, then proceeded to kill a 5point while he was gone, while fun and exciting, not having him there was a buzz kill, and mine was just at home, not gone. I don't know how you did it( the media loves to tell us how a kid with a gun is a mass murderer or gang banger), but as a dad I know how cool it is to see your kids make a goal, and then chase it, good on the parents for raising the kids right!!

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

great post....I've got 4 boys with the oldest being twins and I will have one heck of a time sending them away. I can't imagine being in the field without them. I used to enjoy hunting alone but i'll tell you what, all that goes away once your boys start hoofing it with you. The relationships and bonds formed in the hills I honestly belive are stronger than oak! I love the gospel an all it does for all of us but I dont have half the testmony my boys do. I hope the 2 years goes by fast for you.

I served in Peru, Lima South 4/2000 to 4/2002. The fall months were always the hardest because I'd get pics of everyone huntin. But the second year it was easier. At some point, you sort of forget what else you might be doing and are just too focused on the task at hand.

That's a fine muley there too... Congrats to you and your son..!!

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Congrats on your Sons great fall of hunting and his call! My boy just put his papers in. It will be along 2 years. However, no better place to have him be. It will give him a great foundation for the rest of his life. My boy shot an Elk with his bow in AZ and a 3 point buck in UT. We had a good fall as well. Best of luck to both.

You will all be blessed while he is gone and he will be home before you know it.

Let him come to the dark side; us Yankee fans are not that bad or at least this one.

I was in the Louisville Ky mission. It got so big that they split it and I finished inthe Cincinnatti Ohio mission. That was back in 96-98.

Steelheader,
Thanks for help on 51 elk. I've done no good yet, but will keep after it.
My boys did the same gig, two years is a long time. But- be prepared for when he gets home, it will be first timer all over again.!!!! It will be a blast!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom