Willard goat?

wannahunt

I through all my points at willard and drew the early season. I'm a little disappointed, it starts on labor day.my question is for anybody that's been up there on opening, are there a ton of hikers and does all 15 tag holders just line up and start down the same trail at daylight? Thanx for any info

Yes it's crowded opening day, Labor Day will be even more so...if you don't like crowds skip the opener and go during the mid-week. The late hunt is a great hunt and happens after yours so the hunting is just as good early or late. Also shouldn't have hikers down in the top of the cliffs and that's where the billys hang out anyways as soon as the shooting starts...good luck, don't sweat it man you have a freakin mountain goat tag...enjoy!!!

Ya I know after 16 years I got a freakin goat tag and I'm stoked! Just didn't expect it to be a foot race.I'll be there all week. Thanx 30Hart

I drew the tag a few years ago. It's a great hunt! I think there were about 10 more tag holders when I drew. I tagged out opening morning on a great billy. I avoided the trail from Ben Lomond to Willard because that's were everyone was. There are plenty of goats to look at. I'd just be patient and find the goat you want. I'm excited for you because it was probably one of the funniest hunts I've done over the years. My taxidermist's father drew the tag this year as well. I'm super jealous!

Workman Predator Calls Field Staff
http://www.workmanpredatorcalls.com

Plenty of goats to go around, definitely avoid the opening morning footrace. Get of the main trails and head to the north to avoid the other hunters. After the opening weekend you'll have the place to yourself.

Well, got that done. Here's my nine inch goat. After a couple failed stalks,loosing a foot race,and dodging all the labor day hikers,I spotted part of this goat bedded on willard peak. I believe it was a goat I stalked on the back side but went over the top. I could only see a small part of him from one location,so my son and I climbed the ridge to get above him,we crept over a ledge to see him at 15 yds, I let him get to 35 yds before I shot him with a 7mm.{wish i had my bow}he piled up 20 ft from a 100ft ledge. I did meet some great people on the mountain,one group from Montana {expo tag} and one group from St George.
4078dsc0603.jpg

Congrats on a great goat. Sorry about the wrong area code but you did great. That is almost the exact spot I shot my goat in 2012 with my bow. Crazy.

Thanx guys, Grizzlyhunter I'd still like to hear about your hunt. Forkwest ,ya it was crowded. When ya set up to check out a goat,hunters and hikers would gather next to ya. A group of hikers gathered around my spotter asking lots of questions as I shot my goat, they were shocked when I smoked him. They didn't know a hunt was on.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom