Willard Peak Billy with Recurve Bow

grizzlyhunter

Willard Peak Billy with Recurve Bow

6577mountain_goat.jpg

RE: Willard Peak Billy with Recurve Bow

Good looking billy. Looks like you hit a major blood vessel from the amount of blood on him.

Congrats on a terrific trophy.

Eldorado

Nice billy. I second the "we need a story" post.

Congrats on a great trophy! To take it with a recurve bow has got to be an amazing feeling. How close was your shot?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-12 AT 12:13PM (MST)[p]Thanks everyone for the comments. I watched this billy for 2 days before the start of the season and sort of new his pattern. Opening morning I was up high in the peaks where I had seen him. I had a great vantage point on a small outcropping with several pines growing around its edge. It was like hunt deer from a treestand here in Michigan as the goats would feed past and below me at about 20 ft. down. I had several goats near me at first light and about an hour after daylight I heard 2 shots from a rifle not far off. After the shots several goats moved in below me and started to feed. I still had not seen the Big billy from the previous 2 days. After several mintues of watching the goats feed in front of me and a couple of nice Billies within 20 yrds. I heard rocks falling behind me and here came the big guy at a run. He stopped at 25 yrds. in front of me facing away. Several other Billies came up and challenged him but he ran them off. He finally after about 5 minutes turned broadside at about 30 yrds. and offfered me a shot. The shot took him perfectly and came out the femoral artery on the opposite side, hence all the blood. He ran 40yrds and was going down when another Billy ran up and rammed him sent my Billy down a rock slide. When I reached he was quite a mess. The 1964 Bear Razor had done its work shot from a 51# Predator Recurve on a Grizzltstik arrow shaft. He measures 10 inches and has alot of mass. Everyone tells me he is a record book goat. I am not into the score I just wanted a mature animal. It was an amazing hunt in a beautiful state.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-12 AT 10:31AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-12 AT 10:29?AM (MST)

Congrats Jim he is a stud billy and still the biggest one that we saw come off of the unit but i still haven't heard if Carl as killed yet. It was a pleasure meeting you and give you props for coming out to Utah somewhat blind and completing such an accomplishment. Here is the goat we killed Tuesday night
2035img_0026.jpg

Way to go Jim!

Sorry I was gone to Nv. on my muley hunt and couldn't come up for a couple days.

You did Great!

Robb

Congrats on a great goat. And way cool killing him with a recurve.

"I hate being bi-polar.....Its awesome"

Great accomplishment grizzlyhunter! Believe it or not, I think I have a few Bear Razor broadheads from about the mid 60's. They worked back then too.

Eel

Now that is an accomplishment! Record book? Heck yes, and then some! Congrats!

Awesome Jim! Congrats on your success. Beautiful area and really fun place to hunt.

Take Care,

Dave

That is an amazing trophy!
Challenging yourself with that kind of equipment and finding that kind of success, says a lot about your hunting determination. It kind of puts the "long range" trend to shame.
My hat is off to you my friend! (even exposing my bald head). Very Cool GrizzH!

>That is an amazing trophy!
>Challenging yourself with that kind of
>equipment and finding that kind
>of success, says a lot
>about your hunting determination.
>It kind of puts the
>"long range" trend to shame.
>
>My hat is off to you
>my friend! (even exposing my
>bald head). Very Cool
>GrizzH!

Thanks, I know what you mean about all the long range shooting. I just like being up close and personal. I have always hunted with a Recurve since the age of 6 so I stick with what works.

Had my Goat scored and it looks to be the new number 1 in the world for Traditional Archery. Thanks again to everyone who helped me with this hunt and encouraged me to have it scored.

It scored 49 4/8 Pope and Young and 56 2/8 Compton. Compton is the Traditional Bowhunting Archives.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-13 AT 01:34PM (MST)[p]Absolutely awesome!! Huge kudos to you for "sticking with what works" and taking a goat like that with traditional archery gear! What a great accomplishment.......the awards that look like will follow are simply the icing on the cake. Congrats again. I have tons of respect for those who can get it done with traditional gear. I am an avid bow hunter myself, but just can't bring myself to hunt with traditional gear. Nothing but respect for the success you have had. Thanks for sharing. Kip

Any goat is a good goat. A goat with a bow even more so. Congrats. I hope you are doing a life size. One of my favorite mounts for sure.

Very nice goat.

As an FYI, that would be about number 6 with a traditional bow. The long standing P&Y record from here in CO was 52 4/8 taken by Lyle W.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom