Willard Peak

F

fishlake

My wife drew an early nanny tag on willard peak and were getting a little anxious to get scouting. I was wondering what its looking like? We were wondering how much snow there is on top and how far we could make it. thanks for your help!

I heard there is still snow. I'd wait till the end of June and try going up. There have been some years that we've gone up in July and didn't make it much past Perry Reservoir. Congrats to your wife. Should be a fun hunt.

Nanny's have there kids at the side, billy's have seperated and spread out all over from Willard to Ben Lomond peaks, all the paint has washed off them from last years paintball herd count that the DWR did...

The road is wet and slippery but with this 90 degree weather it will dry out in no time.

The neighbor kid just went up saturday on his wheeler. He told me there was still a pretty good drift or two that trucks would never make it around. You'd want to take the ATVs anyway, 1 hour ride vs 2 hour truck beat'n.

I'd also recommend going up on a weekday and take a fourwheeler if you don't want to beat up your truck. It's a pretty rough trail. Weekends are like a highway up there (I've seen a few cars/trucks that were stuck or rolled up there) and lots of inexperienced show offs. One weekend we came accross four different fourwheeler groups that had had someone roll.

You aint a kid'n. I was coming down the bottom half after some grouse hunt'n one saturday with my dog and a couple buddies in the truck. Came around a blind rocky corner doing less than 2 mph, and was hit by a kid and his girlfriend flying up on a 4 wheeler. He went over the bars, she wen't over him, amazed they didn't get hurt, especially w/o helmets on. Cost him $1000 buck to fix my grill and front light assembly. I'm even more defensive now.

Why scout? Just drive up there on opening day pick a nanny and shoot. They see so much traffic up there they could care less if you're standing 100 yards away pointing a rifle at them. I live where I can watch them from my backyard with a spotting scope on the peak all summer long. They never go far. Like shooting a carp in a bucket if you ask me, doesn't change the fact that I would love to have the same tag.

It's obvious marley has never hunted them before. They may act tame in the summer months, but come hunting season it's a whole different game. I know a few people that got skunked last year due to weather and all the pressure on the goats.

That being said I am ready to go find some goats with you. It's getting closer!

Your right, I've never had a tag for them before but I've taken 2 people that have had the tag, both shot their goat on opening day right on the back side of the peak at no more than 100 yards away. I have also been around these goats since I was a kid and been there in late October hunting deer almost every year of my life and believe me it wouldn't have been too tough to lay one down. Unless you consider a 50-100 yard shot standing out in the open wearing blaze orange with a .280 tough. Your are right though, the weather can screw you up. That's about all that could screw that hunt up. Fun hunt though, I'm definitely envious. Hope you have a blast!

well I made a mistake and tried to get around that snow drift that people are talking about and all I got was stuck
485b3c3a6a2c4c3b.jpg

As for the hunt Yes it can be easy and yes it can be hard!! But dont forget nannys can go B&C here is a nanny that I helped someone out that had the tag and I would say he did very good
485b3ba6647f49f1.jpg
485b3bd6678d696c.jpg

Hey Clynt, I ran into your wife at Smith&Edwards a couple weeks ago, she said you were headed to Alaska. You already gone and come back, or not yet?

I tried to go up to Willard Peak today. Still some big snow drifts. I'd say at least 1 more week maybe 2 before you can get to the top.
Buff

Thank you guys for all of the reports. Sounds like we will hold off heading up there for a little while.

I hiked in from the North Ogden Pass trailhead on Saturday.

I didn't make it to Ben Lomond Peak---about a mile from Willard Peak so only about 6.78 miles in before I turned around to come back down..... a pinch over 13 miles--round trip.

Snow in the pines along the first terrace but other than that a nice hike.

Lots of goats on the east side of Ben Lomond.

I had the 1st season tag in '06.

Robb

Hey Buff you should be fine on riding up there.

Some snow in the first pine tree draw just past the first terrace after the swithbacks from the trailhead but other than that it is fine.

Mountain Bikers, trail joggers and the trail is motorcycle-legal so that would be of more concern if I was on horseback.

Enjoy---

Robb

I went for a 4 wheeler ride yesterday and had no problem (other than dust) making it all the way to the top. When on top of Inspiration Point we saw 30-40 goats just below the peak. It was pretty cool, I have never seen that many at one time together. Good luck with your hunt, if you see a nice moose let me know, my dad has a moose tag up there this year.

We had the PitBull attack coming in from the No Ogden Pass side and I have not been back up that way since!

Someone asked a bull moose question?

The trail going from Willard to Ben Lomond....east side/backside is Cutler basin...saw a couple real nice bull moose hanging in there 2 years ago....

Someone said ya could access Cutler Basin on foot/horseback from the NorthFork campground?

Robb

I went up there yesterday. We saw a cow moose about 1/3 of the way up. 1 nice buck way up high, and about 50 goats.
Regards Buff

I have the late tag but, for the last 6 weekends we have been going up to Willard peak to observe the goats. The most that we have personally seen in a day is 82 which I thought was great, of which roughly 30 were Nannies. I was also able to eventually speak to the biologist for the area to inquire as to the seasonal movements of these animals which he said was very minimal except (as others have stated) the weather drives them lower.

I believe that our hardest task will be putting one down where it can be retrieved. That area is very steep and rugged. If a goat is shot in the wrong area, you may as well head up from Willard or Ogden (just kidding but it is a long way down).

If you would like to talk more about these animals please send a PM.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom