Wimping Out?

F

FloppyHat

I have been lurking around and reading the Monster Muleys forums for a few years, but this is my first post. I enjoy the site, but have never had a reason to post something, until now.

I have 13 elk points for the state of Utah. For the most part, I have only applied for the Wasatch Mts limited entry rifle hunt. Well, with the number of tags that were given out last year, it looks like I have a decent chance (~50%) of drawing that tag this year. I should be excited right?

Well, as I thought about finally getting to hunt big elk a big concern entered my mind. Most of the people I used to hunt with no longer get out much. My father is at a point where he can no longer hike over rough terrain for extended periods. My brothers who used to hunt more or less stopped when the state went to a draw for general deer tags. Long story short, I realized that if I did draw a tag I would probably be hunting limited entry elk alone.

I have done this with muzzy deer for a number of years, but doubt my abilities to successfully harvest a 300+ elk without some help. Do you think I should be concerned or should I just go forward knowing that if I am successful it would mean that much more to me? Any thoughts?

Go ahead.
I am going to be busy in September, but I could pitch in and help you some.
I am sure you could find guys to tag along and help.

I would hope you draw the tag and go enjoy the hunt. It is an area where you can make it into whatever type of hunt you want. Draw your tag, go shoot whatever makes you happy. I'd bet if you get the tag then someone will want to tag along and enjoy the experience with you. Best of luck to you.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

My family and I are in a similar situation as you are. My dad has all but stopped hunting because of bad knees, my brothers live far enough away now it makes it tuff to get togetehr for the general season hunts. With all that said when we all found out that my oldest brother pulled a muzzy LE bull tag this past year we all seemed to find the time and drive once again together for a good hunt. I would bet once you're able to pull the tag you'll be able to find more then enough poeple willing to spend some time out hunting with you. I would worry more about getting the tag then wondering who is going to be there to tag along with you.

400bull

FloppyHat,
If you draw the tag and have no one to go with, let me know. I could at least help you on the weekends with your hunt and get you pointed in the right direction. My family has hunted the Wasatch unit for a lot of years and I hunted the early rifle hunt last year. My Bro-in-law should draw an Wasatch archery elk tag this year as well. The Wasatch is a great unit for a DIY'er if you decided to do it alone as most areas hold a good # of elk and you should haven't trouble locating bulls as long as you are not real picky. Perhaps your concern with hunting alone is not having a helping hand to pack an elk out and I certainly understand that concern.

I agree with everyone else - get the tag first and you will be surprised what options you have open up.

Put in for the tag, with it being fairly close you should find a lot of camping/ hunting buddies.

Thank you for everyone's input and thoughts. I appreciate the reassurance and it has been motivating.

I hear stories about hunters with 5 to 10 "friends" helping them find bulls and I am worried I would be at a severe disadvantage without having that type of help. I am not picky, but would like to harvest something that scores 320 or better.

Another option would be to start applying for Deseret CWMU and hopefully draw a tag there within the next 5 to 7 years. However, that option isn't very appealing to me.

You're not at a severe disadvantage without 5-10 "friends" unless you just want the biggest bull on the mountain, which really shouldn't be the goal. I pretty much hunt alone all the time- sure it's not the same but would you rather give up hunting altogether? I know I wouldn't...

I agree with backpacker - you don't need 5-10 friends to find a 320ish bull on the Wasatch. If you draw the tag, you won't have a problem finding bulls on your own. Your problem will be picking which bull to shoot and holding off the trigger so your hunt doesn't end too early (trust me on this one - I speak from recent experience :)

archeryguruI would take this tag in a minute, I hunted by myself last year for the entire limited entry time and harvested a great bull. I have hunted the Wasatch range for the past 7 years and have got a spike or a cow every year. I got a 6x6 bull with a bow last year. I would be willing to help you because i hunt the archery hunt just prior to yours. I can only dream of another shot at the big bull only it will have to be in another 15yrs or so. Go for it I can share some info if you draw the tag.

I have bone out several elk by myself and haul them to the truck and yes it a chore. But it isn't all that bad, After the first one it came easier and easier to do. Draw the tag and have fun hunting, I'm sure you wouldn't be alone on that mountain.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I went ahead last night and applied for the Wasatch Mts any weapon hunt. Thanks for the encouragement.

If the proposed permit numbers go through and bonus point applicants are similar to last year, I should draw the tag. Now the painful wait to see if it really happens can start.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom