Winchester pre-64 model 70 257 Roberts question

brdhuntr

Looking at this gun in almost mint 98% condition. Can anyone let me know the value of this gun. The price is 2500.00 Thankyou...

"...almost mint 98% condition"

Should be almost mint "original condition". Original parts, finish, components, is the key on something like that. If so, price does not seem out of line if it's something that you want.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Should have been more specific, never fired all original. The only problem i would never be able to hunt with it,and have to keep it in the safe,and don't know if it would go up more in value. I would be crazy to hunt with it,and prbably just have to keep it in the safe L.O.L.!!

How do you know it's original? for years there have been experts at restoring these guns. it takes a trained eye with much experience to know for 99% sure.

Standard? Super Grade? pre war or post war?

A standard grade post war unfired 257 would be worth that money, super grade or pre war would be worth more. will it be a good investment? I doubt you'd lose any money but I wouldn't count on it gaining value. but then what is gauranteed to appreciate.

Stay thirsty my friends

440 has a very valid point. How do you know that a small item such as the buttplate is not original. Or if there has been holes drilled and tapped for after market sights or scope after leaving the factory. Need to run a check on the serial number to determine date of manufacture.
I would not touch it for that price unless I was given a three-five day examination period that allowed me to return for a full refund if found not to be all original. That gives you time to have an expert look at it and give you actual value in today's market. If seller balks at that, BEWARE!

RELH

I agree, I can load my pre-64 257 up to close what a 25-06 will do and it's very accurate. most factory 257 loads are squibs but these rifles will take all the pressure similar rounds produce.

Stay thirsty my friends

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom