Winter Deer Mortality

That's a shame and it will take a number of years for the deer to have a chance to recover in those areas.

TG,

Deer don't just automatically recover after a winterkill, partner. That is totally shallow thinking. The winterkill of 92/93 was baaaaaad.......and they have never come back in G or H. The reason??? Drought. The 20-year drought would be bad enough to prevent numbers from increasing without the occasional winterkill thrown in. But now we have both.

Most hunters these days have short memories or are just plain young or in DENIAL. I remember G & H in the 1980's and very early 1990's. There were good numbers and plenty of older bucks. But.....G & H have been TOAST since 1992. Can't you guys see this?? Not even worth the price of gas to drive there since then.

Clue in and stop reaching for something that ain't there anymore. Hunt elk or western eastern whitetails.

Wow TG I don't see anything in your post that required the back lashing that WhiskeyMan gave you.

I hate to see that for any mule deer heard in any state.

Tikka.......Old wounds and ancient enemies, partner. Not to mention that ignorance ain't always bliss.

The good ol days ain't 2 years ago........they are 2 DECADES ago.......

Actually wiskeyman, They have been killing good bucks in G and H every single year since 1992. EVERY YEAR! Ya its not what it used to be but what unit is???

Get a clue Partner! their are still good numbers of animals in those areas! And some older bucks as well! Maybe try getting off the paved roads and you will see this!

I went to WGFs season setting meeting, they did say winter kill could be a problem, so they didn't change anything from last year, except now they want to let youths kill does during buck seasons, and in buck only areas. That should help.

Whiskey man has it about right, I live half an hour from the Wyoming range, and the truth is I would rather go to the dentist than go deer hunting in areas G or H, its usually such a dissapointing experience.

one_dryshoe.................you may go pee up the proverbial knotty rope, dude.

G & H are dead since the 92/93 winter followed by this drought and also cuz the Eastmans hyped the living sheet out of it attracting hard-core non-res hunters as well as unlimited OTC resident tough guys. Not to mention that the Eastman's showed everyone how to harass the sheet out of winter range bucks stressing them while trying to film them and also collect their drops. That was all waaaaaaaay back in the early 1990's.

There is no semblance of those good old days today. An occasional 180" buck taken is bonafide evidence that the good 'ol days are gone forever. Anyone who is getting jazzed about hunting a shot-out, dried-up unit is just twisted........and has nothing better to hang on to. Move the fawk on.

Try Coues deer in AZ and NM. Or birds like quail and chukars and pheasants or waterfowl. But please move on and give it a rest.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-11 AT 07:31AM (MST)[p]
Thank you Mr. Expert! I know exactly what I said and IT was short, but valid. I don't know tha area in question because I hunt the northcentral part of WY, but I certainly know there are a multitude of reasons why animals decline or increase and I didn't need a dissertation from you based on my short sentence, but thanks for the effort! In fact FYI, my chosen career path was game biology until the Viet Nam War sort of "interrupted" my college years!!! After my 3 years in the Army Veterinary Corp were done, I went another route into LE and still had what I considered a worthwhile career. However, I don't have my head in the sand on these types of issues, as you seemed to intimate in your rant!

Sounds like whiskey man needs to get off the barstool and go for a hike. Yeah the good ole days are gone thank god,but there are still some wall hangers in G, as proven in the 2010 pixs from some of the outfitters on the wyoming site. Oh and thanks TG for your'e info. you have helped me alot,and you do your'e homework! Here's to a great year in 2011..

Big deer are killed in H and G every year.Maybe not in the numbers of the 80's but there is still a few here and there.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I'm not gonna side with anyone here but I will say that the hunting in G/H has never been all that good since the early 90's and is going to get worse in the very near future. Right now the snow pack is 327% of normal. No that is not a typo...327 percent! The WG&F reports a 75% winter kill of last years fawn crop and they are going to reduce tags for this fall for western WY. I have a little different opinion than the others on this post about why our deer herd crashed and has never come back. Since I was in the fur business since the 1970's and saw the amount (millions) of animals harvested for their pelts up until the crash of the fur market in the late 1980's. The coyote population exploded in the following years and it has devastated our deer along with the screwup by the Game & Fish that overestimated the deer herd and allowed folks to kill about 9 deer each in the early 90's. Winter kill and drought are add ons.

That is exactly why I stated that there are a multitude of reasons for deer numbers to go down and unchecked predators is another big reason!

>I went to WGFs season setting
>meeting, they did say
>winter kill could be a
>problem, so they didn't change
>anything from last year, except
>now they want to let
> youths kill does
>during buck seasons, and in
>buck only areas. That
>should help.

Well Piper, I went to the Commission meeting in Casper and the guys from Pinedale discussed that winter kill, and they also proposed changes that included removing doe harvest and shortening the season. The commission approved it, and it is now law. Check your regs. What you said is false. And I'm sure those 13 year old boys are just going to ruin the hunting for all of us...

blue ticker-so tell me how they are reducing tags this fall? did you go to the meetings? I did, and heard no such thing.

Holy $hit that a lot of snow you will be lucky to have any deer left, How did the valley do with the snow and cold.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

TOPGUN.......what size is yer main gasket, man? Looks like it is blown to smithereens. Also..........have you checked yer exclamation mark key on yer keyboard? It appears that it may not be working every time you pound it.

Also.......hehehehe...........

G/H are OTC for ressy's......

How they gonna reduce tag allocations when it is OTC?

Dropping a few 100 tags from the non-ressy draw wouldn't do to much to help the main issue would it?

I didn't do G/H and I already withrew my appl----so I do not have a dog in this fight just wondering how they will reduce tags?

Robb

nonresident quota is the same as last year, I think bluetick is full of it. The only change will be an increased doe harvest.

Thanks P-man....kinda makes real good sense....where do these guys come from anyways? ha

Be nice TG-----!----you are to good a man to play under those weak--------ya know....

Robb

LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-11 AT 12:18PM (MST)[p]The newspaper has removed the article as I just tried the link. It was just a very short article stating that one area lost an estimated 60% of the fawns and the other an estimated 75%, with an additional comment that more animals may die because of the stress they are still under due to the late Spring.

Everyone take this year off from deer hunting and will see how it is next year....

Wyoming Game and Fish: Heavy mule deer fawn mortality
Billings Gazette Share
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department says winter was hard on mule deer in western Wyoming. Preliminary counts show between 45 and 60 percent mortality among mule deer fawns in the Sublette herd and up to 75 percent mortality among fawns in the Wyoming Range herd. Game and Fish wildlife managers say those are some of the worst losses in the Wyoming Range herd since 1990, when records started being kept. MORE More

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

piper- That is what I was speculating, but looking for on the ground confirmation. I would guess since elk have longer legs, they might be able to move around their wintering areas a little better vs deer. And like you mentioned, many of these elk hit the feedgrounds. With deep snows, I suspect normal winter grounds became unavaible and elk that could move, did move.

I will be talking to the biologists in the upcoming weeks also.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom