Winter kill

D

daveytech

Does anyone have any info on how hard the Idaho winter was on the animals? Was it as bad as some other states are reporting?

-Dave

My personal observations are that it was much harder than normal. I've come across quite a few dead fawns that didn't appear to be killed by predators. I know another guy who found 12 dead deer in one canyon while bear hunting this spring. I've seen 4 dead elk so far, 2 bulls, 2 cows. One was a really old cow killed by wolves, another calf killed by wolves, one bull was hard to tell and the other was easy because I spooked a wolf off the carcass. The sad thing here was that it was a bull that had already shed his antlers. In my opinion if a bull makes it through the long winter and survives through April, and sheds, he should be fine, I guess mot with wolves around, sad. This rough winter combined with an overharvest last fall makes me nervous about the quality of this fall's herds.

I agree. I have seen lots and lots of dead fawns. It's sad, last year wasn't near as bad. But considering last year was a mild winter, this winter should have more winter kill than last. I'm not too familiar with the average number of winter kill, but i'd say this winter was above average.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom