Winter kill

idhunters

How has the winter kill on deer/antelope been over in western and central Wyoming?

Here in Idaho I doubt we even had normal winter kill but have had great moisture. We just didn't have lots of snow down low and temps were good. Things are green and I suspect we'll have great horn growth.

LAST EDITED ON May-23-16 AT 02:04PM (MST)[p]I don't believe you're going to hear anyone talking about winter kill this year anywhere in Wyoming the way the winter was and I think in most areas the horn growth and hunting should be very good for all species of big game.

Sw wy is hurting! I've found so many dead deer from this past winter it would make you puke. But then again I probably hike more than the average guy with my work schedule.
hornkiller.jpg

Lots of carcasses being found by shed hunters in SW Wy. Evanston to Kemmerer corridor got hit pretty hard with winterkill.

I knew that one area mentioned got hit, but I didn't realize it's as bad as you guys are saying. That's really too bad and sad to hear! I know up in the area we hunt on the west side of the Horns had a very easy winter and there shouldn't be any winter kill at all.

I heard bad things about SW Wyoming up to the Rock Springs area. Sheep ranchers I know who winter there were having to haul hay which is unusual. Sounds like the rest of the state is OK. Thanks all

For those that have been in southwest Wyoming, what are the antelope herds looking like in units 99, 98, and 100? Trying to decide if I should burn some points or not depending on winter kill in these areas.

i spent a fair amount of time around the evanston area shed hunting around the first of may and the number of dead deer i saw was unreal. never have i seen so many winter killed animals so close together. hope other areas of the state did better...

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom