Winter/Spring

93trojan

I was wondering how the drought is there in New Mexico...if there still is one anyway. I didn't put in for elk last year for that reason. I know drought plays hell on our desert mule deer horns. Sounds like it did last year on your elk also. Have you guys had decent moisture this winter?

Thanks in advance.

Can only speak for South East. Definitely a very very dry year, slightly better than last year so far though.

Up north, the snow pack appears to be slightly better than last year. That isn't necessarily saying a whole lot though. Still below average.

Last year up north, we didn't notice an impact to horn growth though. Can't speak for the south.

Theres going to be some growth this year, theres enough snow up high for a good spring green up to start the horn growth, wether or not the monsoons supplement the growth with be the big questions, watch the areas that had the effect of low intensity fire there will be elk deer and turkey in those areas early already seeing it..

The Gila had decent snowpack. Farther north in my area @7450' it's gone except shady places on the mesas and peaks. But the ground has warmed up and maybe the grasses will get going. It looks hopeful for decent spring rains this year. At least it hasn't blown as bad as last year....yet. We've had some days of real high winds but mostly light breeze.That could keep some moisture in the ground.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom