Winter Survival Snapshot

slamdunk

Screenshot_20230426_132138_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230426_132156_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230426_132212_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230426_132227_Instagram.jpg

Fawn Mule Deer took a beating.

Slam, What was the date of that study? I bet it's much worse now. I remember seeing that same stuff about 3 weeks ago. I would be very interested to see updated results.

The biologists on the KSL Outdoors were saying that the deer were in such bad condition this year (Morgan / South Rich) that the new green shrubs they are going to eat are too acidic to digest and will kill off lots more deer.

Slam, What was the date of that study? I bet it's much worse now. I remember seeing that same stuff about 3 weeks ago. I would be very interested to see updated results.

The biologists on the KSL Outdoors were saying that the deer were in such bad condition this year (Morgan / South Rich) that the new green shrubs they are going to eat are too acidic to digest and will kill off lots more deer.
It was just posted yesterday by Randy Larsen on his Instagram page say (as of this morning).

A lot of deer die this time of year as well with the transition from starving to bloating on soft feed.

I had a job in Morgan in Jan, so I'd take the loop after around East Canyon to Henefer. West side on and around the WMA I thought the deer looked pretty good, elk looked fine. The east side, the deer already looked exhausted.

Took the same loop after a job last night. East side I didn't see a single deer. West side, not many. The data pretty much backs up what I saw.

I had a job in Morgan in Jan, so I'd take the loop after around East Canyon to Henefer. West side on and around the WMA I thought the deer looked pretty good, elk looked fine. The east side, the deer already looked exhausted.

Took the same loop after a job last night. East side I didn't see a single deer. West side, not many. The data pretty much backs up what I saw.
Easy Hossy, this study was funded by Conservation and Expo dollars ???

Over Easter weekend I saw easily 1,000 deer from the road on what is the Nebo unit over a 4-5 mile stretch. Honestly, saying we saw 1,000 might be a gross understatement. I’ve literally never seen anything like this.

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, but there it was. More deer than I’ve ever observed like that in my life. Looked pretty good and healthy too.

Over Easter weekend I saw easily 1,000 deer from the road on what is the Nebo unit over a 4-5 mile stretch. Honestly, saying we saw 1,000 might be a gross understatement. I’ve literally never seen anything like this.

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, but there it was. More deer than I’ve ever observed like that in my life. Looked pretty good and healthy too.
Every Deer on the northern end of San Pete County ended up on Nebo this winter, that valley had more deer in Nov-Dec than I ever remember seeing.
Aside from roadkill, that area did better than most expected.

It is sad. You run up Weber canyon, if you look up in the junipers and sage, you see dead everywhere, elk and deer.

Good year for crows

Aside from roadkill, that area did better than most expected.

I recall a post I made a couple months ago that said I had heard from someone I trusted that most areas of the state were fairing better than expected with the harsh winter, with a few isolated areas getting hit hard. That comment was rashly criticized by a few people and I was told I just need to get out of the house and drive around. Open my eyes, they said.

Interesting to see how these things play out when you listen to people that actually make determinations based upon data and facts and not just irrational emotions. I tend to fair pretty well in my positions when I listen to experts and not mobs.

Over the next 3 weeks the only county I won’t spend time in will be San Juan. I’m interested to find out what I see as I travel around.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom