Winter Unit 70,61 area

coyoteslayer

Any information on how the deer faired in these units this winter? Struggling on whether to burn my 13 points or not. still considering unit 55 third. What are your thoughts between 61 3rd or 70 4th? Thank you.

The area east of Gunnison which includes GMU 55 was very tough on the deer this winter. In addition, that unit is OTC for elk as well. Just a couple things to consider when making your selection.

Hunted 4th season 70 this past fall and action was pretty slow. I heard of a couple of decent bucks, but not much rutting and few decent bucks seen. Chalk it up to warm weather. I had a cow tag and a friend had a buck tag. Both ate tag soup. He saw a couple of 175-180ish bucks, but chose to pass. Don't know how the winter has been but it has to be pretty bad to get that area. Bottom line is if you get snow, it would be a great area. If not....

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

61 would disappoint you with 13 points. There is plenty of wintering ground that did not get hammered snow wise this year on either side of the Uncompahgre Plateau.

>How many points did you have
>to draw 70 4th?

4 of 11 non residents drew with 12 pp's

Thanks for the responses. I currently have 13 points. I have never been in any of these units. I have a brother that has hunted 61 and a few friends/acquaintances that have hunted 70 3rd season. I like 4th season for the fact of fewer hunters. I need to just make up my mind and go hunt this year.

Winter conditions around 61 and 70 haven't been bad at all. I spend quite a bit of time in 61, and I don't understand the demand for the deer tags. If I were you, I'd go 70, 4th, and hope for snow!! The deer in this area have had an average winter so far. As other threads have noted, 55 and the rest of the Gunny basin got hit HARD in Jan-Feb. I'd be leery of burning all those points there. No matter what, every Nov. hunt is a gamble for weather.

Good luck

I just posted a request for information on elk 2nd rifle season for elk. I know nothing definite about this unit, but going to try a hunt for resident 12 points if feedback is good. What is the elk/trophy bull type animal situation there based on your knowledge & experience ? I have never been there before, please see my post. Any/all information would be helpful & appreciated. Thanks so much ! Jerry in Ft Collins.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom