WIVES AND HUNTING

ICMDEER

Very Active Member
Seems like most guys on MM are always worried or complaining about their wives and how they catch hell for spending too much time or money on hunting. My wife NEVER has complained at me about hunting. She encourages me to hunt, camp amnd scout and spend what I want on hunting gear and licenses, etc. She has always known that big bucks are my passion (along with her) and wants me to "chase my dreams" for big critters.

So what's up?? Is it really as bad as all you guys say? Wives are not really a problem for me or any of my friends or guides.

(Maybe Wyoming women just know that their guys are going to be out hunting and scouting.)

Not for me,

My wife grew up a hunter and daughter of an outfitter. When we married she had more guns than me. We are both hunting blackpowder for elk this year, together.

BeanMan

My wife doesn't hunt, but she is very ok with the time/money I spend on it. I think it has to do with the fact that I spend quality time with her and the kids too. I do know guys that aren't so lucky.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

txhunter58 I think you hit on the head, quality time with her ends up with quality time in the field. I've been proud of my wife, I know she doesn't have the same feelings towards hunting as I do, she has tried going I will give her credit for that. But its not for her. She doesn't complain when I go and she always asks when I return if I had a goodtime and sits through it as I tell of my trip even thou I know she probably is not interested. She doesn't help with processing or the mess it creates. But still enjoys a good deerstick & jerky when its ready. I can always find a hunting buddy, but a good wife, well... Think I will just keep this one. After all its took 23 years to train this one or is the other way around, either way its working.

My wife knew going into the marriage that I had a passion for the outdoors...she never bothers me about the money or time spent hunting and fishing... she converted to flyfishing 3 years ago and loves it!

Mine said she was ok with it until we tied the not 10yrs ago!
Now I am looking for a new one! We need a MM DATING SERVICE! Then you all could say you saw it all!LOL
Rackmaster

My wife understands my need to hunt, she may not like it but
she understands, She has NEVER complained about my spending
lots of money and even more time, All she asks is that I take her on one or two hunts a year, and make sure she gets a buck bigger than any of the guys she works with,last 4 years she has.. she loves to camp and likes to hunt, and is a real good shot,so how can I not take her................

I cant say my wife has never complained, but its not so much about the hunting, but the fact that Im off spending time in the mountains, and she has to stay behind an go to work. My father-in-law is an avid hunter, so my wife was well aware of how things were before we got married. She goes with me as often as her work permits, and had so far been very supportive of me spending money to hunt. All she asks is that I hold out for something big enough to have mounted on her wall.

TUFF

When it comes to hunting or fishing my wife is the first one out the door, Hell of a woman, no bitchin or complaining just gets it done and carries her weight in camp also, I love her almost as much as my favorite rifle...lol seriously though, I guess I got lucky and got a keeper!

My wifes loves hutning, I got her into it when we got married. Two years ago I got her a .280 Rem. and she shot her first pronghorn with it and last year she shot her first muley with it at 150yds offhand! Double lung and everything. I will miss hunting with her this year, but I know in the future we will probably get to again.
Michael

A WIFE THAT HAS NEVER COMPLAINED IS LIKE A MM MEMBER THAT HAS NEVER COMPLAINED

EXTREMELY RARE!!!

ICM,WILL YOU PLEASE SEND YOUR ADDRESS,I MIGHT BE SCOUTING WHILE YOU'RE OUT SCOUTING!!!(HE,HE!!!)

WHEN WE MENTION 'BIG BUCKS'THEY (WIFE,AND WIVES FOR SOME OF YOU)THEY START THINKING 'BIG BUCKS' ALSO,FOR SOME REASON I THINK THERES A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE HE MEANING AND THE SHE MEANING!!!

IT AIN'T BAD HERE,ONCE YOU BURN EM OUT,YOU BETTER HOPE YOUR KIDS WANT TO HUNT CAUSE WHEN A WOMAN GETS BURNT OUT ON IT,THEY AIN'T CHANGING THEIR MIND!!!

I STILL CAN'T FIGURE WHY THEY'D WANT TO MISS OUT ON THAT MUCH FUN???

WHEN I TELL THE WIFE I'M GOING HUNTING SHE SAYS:FOR A MONTH OR TWO AT LEAST I HOPE!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING THEM WYOMING WOMEN HAVE REALLY GOT THEM WYOMING MEN BAFFLED!!!(HE,HE!!!)

My wife and I have had our rounds about hunting. When we got married I didn't have anyone to go with so I missed a few years. When my best friend and hunting partner moved back to the valley we picked up where we left off. Plus I played in softball, football, and basketball leagues. So you can imagine there where some problems. We have since worked everything out. I spend equal time in the field and going on short vacations with the wife and kids. That really makes them happy. Plus she gets to spend $100 for everyday that I'm out hunting.

AZ

SOUNDS LIKE A PRENUMP OR SHOULD I SAY A POSTNUMP???

MAYBE THATS WHAT I SHOULD DO IS LIMIT HER TO ONLY A 100.00 A DAY!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING THIS COULD GET EXPENSIVE,OOPS,WAIT A MINUTE,REPHRASE TIME,THE ONLY bobcat KNOWING DAMN WELL THIS WILL GET EXPENSIVE!!!

I guess I'm one of those lucky ones too. Mrs. BOHNTR bowhunts with me when not teaching grade school. Always been supportive and understands my bowhunting additction, as she grew up in a hunting family. However, quality "family" time is important too to get a balance. I definately agree with ICMDEER......I went to Laramie, Wyoming to get my wife. :)

BOHNTR )))------------->

Anyone now any 19 ish ladies that love hunting and 2 year olds looking for a boyfriend? lol.
Michael

Hey Michael, read your other post. Sorry. I know your kinda joking in your post here but in all seriousness, part of the problem your having is the "19 ish" part (for both of you). Make it about "28 ish" and you will all be better off. Good luck to you.

I feel pretty fortunate with my wife, raised in Salmon on the river. Wasn't a "trophy" hunter when we met but a hunter none the less and now she says I have "ruined" her as she now holds out for horns. Has harvested several animals including a 27" m uley, a 44" shiras moose and an antelope that grossed app. 78", all of which are on our wall. I told her that I wouldn't even think of getting married until she survived a hunting season with me. She said, "yeah, I know you will be gone alot in October" HA HA HA she knows better now but she made it!

Congrates to all of you with good wives, someday I might have one, but I for sure will have a hunting boy!
Michael

I have said this before here on MM and I'll say it again "I have the best wife a man could want". Not only will she set down and listen to my stories when I get home from hunting, she will back me up 100% when I'm out hunting. We have had several neighbors ask her if we were having marital problem because I am gone some much from Aug. to the end of the year. She just says nope, he is out doing his hobbies and what he loves.

Last year she decided to go hunting with me for the first time in nine years of being married. I was a pround man the day we finaly found a buck and she was able to make a clean shot at 175 yards. Even though it was a small forky that was problaly one of the proudest moments in my life. She has meantioned to me several times this year that she wishes that she would be able to go hunting with me again this year. With the new addition to our family it makes it next to impossable to go. You can bet I'll have her out there next year, even if it means being a road hunter and pissing you all off.

One thing that I do that helps my wife support my hobbies is I support hers. My wife loves to do scrap books. She could spend as much time and money on scrap booking as I do hunting and I let her do that. I have even taken time off work to watch the kids while she goes on a three or four day scrap booking retreat with her friends. By supporting her hobbies and let her get out once in while sure has helped in letting me get out a do what I love.

400bull

Damn, next time I'm single I'm going to Wyoming--the way things are going right now there WILL be a next time.. I love this time of year, but also hate it too; everytime I go scouting/hunting I can plan on a brawl when I get home. Where I live the archery season starts in mid August and so I start scouting after the first of July--I'm lucky if I go one evening each week and I still get it when I get home. I have a buddy who's wife must have Wyoming roots because he goes 6 nights a week and is on a first name basis with every big buck within 50 square miles of this place and his wife encourages him to go scouting/hunting as much as he wants!!!!!!!! I love my wife, but she makes it hard for me to go and enjoy the best things in life (other than kids).............HHhhmmmmm, I've got the bug bad this year too--looks like it's going to be a long season at the Quickdraw res!!! good luck to everyone this year.

I think most of us are hitting the target on this one. First, find a woman with the right roots. My wife is a ranch-raised Wyoming gal and she knew about my craziness for hunting when she was "lucky" enough to snare me over 20 years ago. And you guys are right. There are more women in Wyoming that appreciate hunting and the men who do it than there are in other places. Hunting is still pretty much a way of life here and most people still do it. When it's 120 miles round trip to the show or McDonald's like it is for us, scouting and hunting make a good thing to do.

We try to balance our needs. My wife loves the yard and the house. We have a huge yard and she does nearly all the work and lawn mowing. I help some, and I help with home improvement projects but she does most of them, too. But she goes to the show and shopping sometimes while I'm out looking around for bucks. But this weekend, we are both going on a scouting/camping trip and she's fired up about it.

Pick the right wife and be fair and honest and hopefully, things will work out. It has been great for me.

To all of you who have wives that encourage you to go , does it make you wonder ? lol

LOL, Smiley. I had a boss tell me that hunting season was the best time to pick up women. All the wives were at the bar, pissed off at their husbands, and all the husbands were out of town with their guns :).

I dont have a wife but I do have a girlfriend of 5+ years, she wasnt a hunter when we met. She now hunts with me and doesnt complain a bit about my time afield or if I spend too much, but I am fairly frugal. I dont do out of state hunts nor am I buying new equipment each year. Now some of my other hobbies is a different story, Harleys...ATV's...Pick-up mods etc etc.:D

Mike
at235.gif

i certainly can't complain, i'm a very happy man.

i married a girl w/o hunting roots. some guys would say "why did you go and do that?". i say, "if you find a good woman, you'd be a fool to let her get away."..kinda like trophy hunting i guess :) she knew what she was marrying into before we tied the knot, my mother personally warned her numerous times.

it will be our 8 year anniversary tomorrow, and we'll both be the first to admit the first 4 or so years were rough when it came to the time i spent outdoors verus the time i spent at home. she has since told me that at first she thought she could change me...about 4 years ago she realized that change wasn't going to happen, so ever since then she has planned on my being gone during certain "seasons"...quality time with the family, supporting her scrap booking (she's the family historian), and including her and our 3 kids in as many of my outdoor activities as possible (meaning all activities except the "death marches" as i call them) have been the keys to our success.

she even asked me to help her apply for a lope tag this year, if she draws it'll be her first time out w/me when she's actually hunting and not just hiking along. and no, i will not show any disappointment if she isn't able to pull the trigger when the time comes...i know better than to do that :)

life is good!

I tought my wife too hunt and now she loves it, we have talked and even if we are apart she says she might still go hunting with me this year. Also congrats berto on you aniversary.
Michael

Afternoon everyone,
Well I just wanted you all to know that I am a hunters wife and I am very proud of it!! I also am a huntress, who tottally loves being out in the woods and enjoying nature at its finest!!
I grew up with my dad and brother hunting but did not pay to much attention to it. I have never been afraid of guns, and game meat was always a plus on our dinner table!
My husband decided to get back into hunting as he had done it when he was younger and living in a different state! I knew that he had wanted to for along time, and I started encouraging him to start! He bought a shotgun, then a rifle, and on and on, no problem. Then he decided he wanted to try archery something tottaly new, and I had no problem. I watched him for about two years, and said that it looked like alot of fun!! He said well lets go get you a bow and we did, and I have been hooked ever since!! We make a fine hunting team together, and I know that he is so proud of me! Almost had my first turkey last fall, and I cannot even tell you all how much we were both thrilled over the fun and excitement of it!
Our kids are also now both Junior hunters, and they love every minute of it!! Our daughter tagged her first cow elk last fall, and the look of pride and happiness was so priceless on her face!
This fall we will spend quiet abit of time in the woods, archery hunting and just haveing alot of fun!
I love it that its something that we both enjoy, and that we do together as a team!! Their are times if he gets drawn that I dont go out, its a hunt for him and a friend of his or something I have no problem with that. But he knows that I really love to be out their experiencing the hunt right along with them so they include me alot!!
As far as buying stuff, never has been a problem cause most likely its something that I can use also, and its something for both of us!! We always talk about our purchases, and what we want, so its never caused a fuss between us!!
I am proud to be a hunters wife, and I am proud to be a hunters hunting partner!
JstMe

You sound like a great wife, and you two are lucky to have each other.
Michael

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom