Wolf help

hilltop

What is a good unit where I can find some wolves? I live in Utah and need a good spot I can run up for a weekend.

Thanks for any help or advise
jason

Wish I could help. I was in unit 28 last x-mas time, tracks everywhere, looks like they were using every road in the country to travel on. We were on Panther creek, i was "watching" my son and nephew chase elk with archery gear. Gotta be in shape for that. Anyway- talked with a guy driving in early one AM. He asked what we were doing, passed the time of day, i asked where he was from, Challis. I told him i had a wolf tag. He said he had killed one only a mile from the spot we chatted only a month before. I was impressed! I asked him if he saw them often, and his reply kind of shocked me. He said he drove that country 3-4 times a week all winter, checking trap lines. In the spring/summer his family ran cattle in that country. then in the fall they ran a hunting camp. He said the one he shot was a young one, with another young one. and they were the ONLY ones he had EVER seen. He said he had heard them many times, especially in the fall and spring.
Good luck to you. Wish guys like us could find a "wolf mentor" to show us how to get 'er done.
It's fun just going, and you never know!!!

+1 lived with em for 2 yrs. Hear em whenever I wanted, never did see 1. They're a bit sharper than yotes.

Hilltop I heard guys say good numbers over by Salmon Idaho. Also you may want to try the IDFG website and see if they have last years kill stats, and zones where the dogs were taken.
Good luck,

))))------->

My guess is that a VAST majority of wolf kills are opportunistic harvests. Planning a and conducting a successful wolf hunt is, in my opinion, very much a long shot with low success rates! Good luck, I just don't know how one does it.

Unit 28 is a great place for wolves. I have a home in Elk Bend and thoroughly hunt unit 28. Over the last 4 weeks I have seen several fresh tracks. Some around the gut pile of my sons Bull, others scattered all over. If it's not too muddy and slippery head up Iron Creek Rd. To Peal Tree Rd. and hunt the thick forest around Sheep Horn Lookout. Another good spot is King Mtn. you can get to it from Cabin Creek/Ringle Rd. Also in unit 37A if you go McKim Creek rd. And hunt the forest at the top of McKim creek and it's draws you will find them there. In past years I have seen many wolves in these areas and would welcome anyone up that can shoot straight and kill them.
Good Luck
PB

LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-14 AT 06:19PM (MST)[p]Thanks for the help guys, rack, I will be going up on the sat after Black Friday so we'll see how it works out.

Thanks again everyone

Last time i hunted Idaho was 2008. Ran into some wolves up north of Orofino hunting whitetail around Dworshak reservoir. Seems wolves would be a tough hunt though. Real thick country.

Hunter, I never was able to make it up there. I think I'm done until next year (boss's orders!) but I will be buying a tag for 2015 for sure.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom