Wolf Kill In Idaho?

polarbear

Long Time Member
BOISE, Idaho ? Idaho wants to kill as many as 51 wolves in north-central Idaho, according to a plan introduced Wednesday in Boise that state Department of Fish and Game managers said is designed to help boost elk herds in the region.

The killings would take place in the rugged, mountainous region on the state's border with Montana, near State Highway 12. There, state biologists estimate there are between 43 and 69 wolves, but too few elk for hunters.

The plan is to initially kill 75 percent of the wolves in the area.

This would be one of the first management actions taken by the state of Idaho since assuming management control of the more than 500 federally protected wolves in the state last Thursday, when U.S. Interior Secretary Gale Norton handed off responsibility to Gov. Dirk Kempthorne.

Since wolves are still under Endangered Species Act protections, the federal government still has final say over whether wolves can be killed to help wildlife such as elk.

State officials plan to hand over their proposal to control wolves to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service by late February or early March, following public meetings in Boise and Lewiston. Federal officials say that science, not politics, will be the litmus test in whether it wins their approval.

''If we get a good proposal, our job is easy ? in a good proposal, a person should see why (state Fish and Game officials) reached this conclusion that control actions are needed,'' said Ed Bangs, wolf recovery coordinator for Fish and Wildlife Service. ''If they try to give us some political garbage that's just a ploy, we're going to give them the thumbs down.''

Bangs said his agency isn't fundamentally opposed to wolf control actions; since 1995, when wolves were introduced to central Idaho and Yellowstone National Park, Wildlife Service game managers have shot more than 300 wolves that preyed on livestock.

In the Idaho proposal, this would be the first time that wolves would be killed by agents based on concerns over wildlife populations.

I wonder if it will actually go through.

watermark.php

yotewalk.gif

Eric

not a chance, King Bangs will not accept political ramblings from the peasants as a reason to kill the sacred wolf.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

polarbear

YOU DIDN'T TELL THEM YOU'D ALREADY BEEN THINNING THEM OUT DID YOU???

THE ONLY bobcat THATS NEVER SEEN A 'LIVE' WOLF!!!

Haha bessy boy you are funny. I don't think I would support killing off 75% of em.. Thats a lot. But I would love to get the chance at one :p.

100% wouldn't hurt my feelings. It would be cool if they opened it up to tags for sportsmen. They could make even more money off of us. I think I would even pay to shoot one of them ugly buggers, eventhough I would gladly do it for free.

Although I don't think they'll kill 75%, I'll bet they do control wolves in the area.. It's part of the plan, and I'll bet they do it, if nothing else just to try and gain more trust from the public..

Either way, giving control to the state is a step in the right direction..

anybody read the blurb on wolf management on Idaho F&G website?
according to that, wolves are still considered "endangered". I seriously doubt that 75% of wolves in any area of Idaho will be killed any time soon, mostly because the Feds are to deeply involved still, IMHO

Its 75% of the wolves in THAT AREA, which is 65-75 wolves. There are plenty of other wolves in Idaho.

You may remember that the Babbit approved recovery plan called for 30 breeding pairs in the 3 western states. At last count, Idaho alone had 34 verified breeding pairs with an estimated 65 known pairs. Idaho alone has met the recovery goals for all the states.

Whatever plan they come up with they should not tell anyone or release info to the media. That's when the sheet hits the fan & all the wolf lovers whine. Before you know it nothing happens at all.

The agents are going to kill them? Are we supposed to thank them if they do???? The wolves are killing too many elk? Man, I need some Advil!

Steve

Albubba, I stand corrected. : )
They also look good when you add a little red color to their beautiful coat, especially with a snowy background.

Sure hope they get something done. In 5 years the wolves made our central Idaho elk honey hole un huntable.We did archery hunts for 8 years back packing into remote basins loaded with elk and some nice trophy bulls. Watched it go from one of the best places to almost no elk first hand. All due to the release of Wolves in the Middle Fork of the Salmon. Quit going 2 years ago.......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom