Wolf or Coyote?

typicalmuley

Is the first picture a wolf or a coyote? What do you guys think? I am up in air about it. The second picture is of a coyote from the same trail cam in the same location.

WGI_0134.jpg

WGI_0013-1.jpg

Enjoy the moment and relive the memories.

You'll know a wolf when you see one, there is no mistaking the two.
When you are wondering if it's a coyote, it's a coyote.

Here is some food for thought. The animals are approximately the same distance from the trail camera. The coyote measures 43 mm from rump to snout and 28 mm from ground to the top of its back. The first picture measures 55 mm from rump to the side of its head and 38-40 mm from ground to the top of its back. So if this is a coyote it is a big coyote.

Enjoy the moment and relive the memories.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-12 AT 03:27PM (MST)[p]Coyote...and its no wonder everyone claims to see "wolves" behind every tree.

Good grief, there isnt even the slightest of chances they are anything but coyotes, all of them.

Coyote.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

A BIG coyote is going to look pretty small compared to a wolf. As stated, when you see a wolf, there won't be any doubt.

Poor skinny black wolf... Does not look like he has eaten enough of our heritage up. Hopefully someone put him out of his misery....

Side note we have a pack of wolves who have killed about 40 head of livestock in the greys river. Another pair is killing sheep in the Smithsfork. Buzz those are not coyotes either.....

I don't think you can conclusively say. Too dark, not enough ways to confirm. If you knew how tall that grass was at that time, maybe. I usually look at the snout and the legs/feet. When you see them in the wild, they aren't hard to tell, but it's easy to try and make a coyote or even a Pyreneese dog seem like one for a second. Of course the 1000's of sheep usually give away the Pryeneese dog also.....

Are these pics in Wyo? Utah?

The argument about size cracks me up.

Size alone is not conclusive, especially this time of year.

Anyone ever heard the term "pup"?

Ear shape and tail position seem to be the best conclusively indentifying factors.

The first picture I beleive is a coyote, but I see why you're not absolutely sure. The ears do appear to be too rounded for a coyote.

Set some traps in the area & find out for sure!

Also, I'm used to seeing Mexican grey wolves... much different than their northern cousins.

Just like PUNK said!

Once you see a Wolf You'll know it!

Unless you let the DWR talk you out of it!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom