Wolves in Colorado

C

COboy12

It was a snowy cold Colorado after noon skiing on copper mountain, the slopes were empty and it was one of the few to brave the weather, it was one of my last runs of the day and I look down the ski run and see what looks to be a large dog running up the lift. I thought it was a search and rescue dog in training but there was no one around which I thought was weird, there was only one other skier and I around as I got closer I realized it was a very large gray and white wolf that came up to almost my waist, I skied within about 50 feet of the wolf and he acted really scared and nervous the closer I got to him, as I watched him for a few minutes he sat their and howled a few times them went running up the slope out of sight. I haven been thinking about this for a while and wanted to know if anyone else has seen wolves in Colorado? I have been watching a few you tube wolf hunts as I have been getting the itch to make an Idaho wolf hunting trip and have learned wolf hunting is a very controversial subject to many. But they look like a blast to hunt talk about a rush!

This happed I want to say in 2008 or 2009 so fairly recent I figured the wolf was running up the slope to get out of the deep snow and the groomed ski slope was the easiest place to walk and I just remember how big he was it was a pretty awesome sight. Just wanted to know if anyone else has seen them around?

I heard one howling last year, coyotes were howling all around then we heard something way different so I went home and listned to wolves on youtube. I'm positive we heard one and heard some stories of people seeing some wolves close to were I heard this one. It was not far from Paonia

Now was this a Canadian wolf or a Mexican grey wolf? Both are being considered
for possibly a (threatened species listing). The funny thing about it is their DNA is the same. I guess the only way to tell is one howls in french and the other in Spanish.

> Now was this a Canadian
>wolf or a Mexican grey
>wolf? Both are being considered
>
>for possibly a (threatened species listing).
>The funny thing about it
>is their DNA is the
>same. I guess the only
>way to tell is one
>howls in french and the
>other in Spanish.

Now that's pretty funny!

Didn't see one, but I'm about 99.9% sure I heard one during 1st rifle last year in 5. Long drawn out howl, not a yote.

I saw one last year while hunting in unit 33 on Klein Top Mesa. Don't know if I spelled that right, but it has the nastiest road on the planet!! pc

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom