Worth 10 points?

hangfire

Just wondering if there was any moose units worth burning 10 points on? Was thinking of applying for 26, I know ten points don't guarantee a tag there. Or would I be better off holding out for one of the top units. I'm looking for a unit with a fair number of moose, and decent chance for a good bull. I will be hunting with my 12 year old boy so being in a unit with high moose numbers is more important, than quality. Thanks for any comments.

That really is a question that you're probably going to have to answer yourself after already going 10 years gaining points. The population is evidently going down on the west side of the state where the wolves are doing their thing and tag numbers being cut and units being closed are definitely occurring. The best units where there are no wolf or bear problems are probably in the Big Horns and Laramie areas, but I doubt you would be able to draw those with 10 points. The other problem is point creep and whether you will be able to keep buying PPs and get a tag in the next few years or whether it will get worse and cause an extended period of years to draw. I assume you are committed to a bull tag with those 10 PPs, but another thought is to try and find a good unit and apply for a cow tag that you should be able to easily draw with 10 PPs. Good luck and I'm glad I'm didn't get into buying PPs for them, as I would probably go nuts trying to make a final decision of when and where to apply.

You are still probably 5 years out drawing a tag in 26. Take a look at 27, some very big bulls there but you have to figure out a place to hunt on private land as the national forest area can be good late in the season, but its a small area. You can get access there you just have to call around and do your homework. No free lunch for moose sitting on ten points. By the way its a very real possibility you are probably 15-20 years away from a top 5 unit. When they only give out 1-3 tags a unit and you have 2000 people in front of you those at the higher levels tend to wait and not burn them on a lesser unit.

I dont think you're 5 years out on a 26 tag. Last year 11 points would have given you a 33% chance at a tag.

After having watched the draw odds for a long time, there is a lot of fluctuation in the mid-point pools...those with 10-12 points.

It could take you 5 years, but I'd be surprised. With the economy in the $hit, I'd apply and see what happens...you never know.

What BuzzH stated makes sense, unless you want to wait half a lifetime for one of the top units like the BigHorns.

Exactly, 12 people that aplied for a tag last year in Area 26 will have 12 points this year going into the draw and he'll have 10. I've been watching 26 for the last 6 years and it always draws interest from the outside as a second tier moose area from guys fed up with trying to draw area 1 or 38. Plus a lot of guys are getting nervous ahead of him in the 11-12 point categories and are going to be cashing in while they can. I hope you're right, but let's face it until the wolf thing is under control and the population in NW Wyoming can rebuild, those licenses that used to make the points turn over quickly are gone. If I had only 10 points I'd look to 27 or 36 or wait Remember he was in the 9 point class last year and the only areas that were successful w/ 9 points was 17,18,22 and 28.

The wolf thing is not going to be figured out in Wyoming for a long time...so, I would just apply and see what happens.

People jump around and change their minds quite a bit...so its all just a big guess whats going to happen from year to year.

I'm in a tough spot as a Resident with 13 points...

Good luck to those that apply.

That's the whole problem with this PP deal because people can change their choice each year in the different draws and that makes it very iffy when you think you have it made in a given year. The only way to stop some of that would be that once a person puts in for a particular unit they are then tied to that unit until they draw or quit applying and are dropped from the pool. Then you start looking at the difference between what it takes for a resident and a nonresident to draw the tag for a given unit and it just keeps getting crazier. I understand exactly what BuzzH is going through with his 13 points and am glad I'm not interested in putting in for PPs in anything but deer and antelope. The more I read, the more I think I should cash in my 3 deer PPs the way the deer situation is in Wyoming and just stay with the antelope PPs when I can hunt them every year in many units and in the one unit I really like every 3 or 4 years with PPs.

Thanks for the comments guys, maybe I will try my luck on 26. One other question I know Wyoming allocates 75% of tags to max point holders,so does that mean there has to be at least four tags in a unit for one to go to the Radom drawing?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom