Wow - This site is great! Tons of info in the archives! Any more info on GMU 4 elk & deer (archery)

Coonazz

Wow - This site is great! Tons of info in the archives! Any more info on GMU 4 elk & deer (archery)

Well - I'm new to this forum because my work's network just blocked my access to my old Texas hunting forum. I've spent hours and hours looking at older posts on this site and have found a ton of great information!!

Here's my situation. I've hunted elk with my aging dad the last 3 years in a row. Went the guided route (rifle) in the Flat Tops (stuck out), rifle hunted a drop camp on 11K private acres outside of Grand Junction (stuck out), and last year we hunted the Gila in NM (unit 15 / muzzleloader) and stuck out again, so I'm 0 for 3. Well - dad is getting too old to hunt with me and so my wife decided she wanted to get into it. So - I bought her a bow and she is addicted. Bad addicted. So - I had a buddy tell me I should take her to CO with me. He told me he hunted unit 4 for several years and that it was a good area. I had a couple points, so I put in a drew an archery elk tag and my wife got a mule deer tag. So far - all the research I've found says that unit 4 (5 & 441) gets pounded with a ton of rifle hunters, but I haven't seen too much info on what it's like during MZ and late archery (around 9/13 - 9/25). These are the dates we plan on going up, camping out, and doing our best to fill the freezer. I understand that this isn't a trophy unit, but that the numbers are pretty decent and we might have a good chance and filling our tags. Any suggestions on who to contact and maybe where to go? I realize it is incredibly rude for a new user to post their first thread and ask about hunting in a certain area. Just taking a chance that someone could help me out with a tip or two because I'm archery hunting with the wife.

Thanks all!

Tony

RE: Wow - This site is great! Tons of info in the archives! Any more info on GMU 4 elk & deer (archery)

you can call me at 303-588-5638 and i will help you out. have hunted this area before. Dale

RE: Wow - This site is great! Tons of info in the archives! Any more info on GMU 4 elk & deer (archery)

TBH got banned at work huh? Welcome to MM!

Yeah - stinks too. The greenscreen is addicting. Still have it on tapatalk though. :)

thanks! I sure will.

good news for you is that you will see alot of deer in that unit . I will give you a pointer for a small peice of BLM next to private about 1200 acres of blm that gets driven by but hardly ever hunted Its a option to hit a time or two you will see deer on it . drive arefully early and late and at night in the area lots of critters on the road like the hill countyry but bigger bodied deer

Excellent! Thank you very much.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom