WSMAA But Still Happy!

N

newtoot

I have been pestering people here for a long time about my gun moose hunt, Wednesday, Oct 3, about 2:30, I harvested a bull moose.
Not much of a story. He was in a little meadow the far side of a bigger meadow. I sneaked in the trees, rounded a line of brush and all of a sudden he was there.
My first shot at 80 yds took out both lungs. I was using my handloaded Nosler Partitions, 250g, with H4831 powder in my .338. I used the lightest load shown in my manual but still have factory velocities of 2650+. I got pass thrus on both shots. He staggered 20 yds and I shot him again as he was quartering away. Then he fell. I've never harvested such an animal before. WOW!! Of course there was lots and lots of ground shrinkage especially as far as horns go. I'm going to start a new organization and am looking for Charter Members. The WSMAA - World's Smallest Moose Antlers Association -
But I'm still VERY HAPPY!! I harvested a bull moose in some of God's greatest creation, the beautiful Colorado Rocky Mountains. Praise The Lord!! I had 290 weighed pounds of hanging meat, that's with NO guts, hide, lower half of legs, blood, and head and neck. And still 290 pounds on a registered scale. I was 485 range finder measured yds from a camp which was about 40 yds fm a road. A friend and I got it out on my 2 wheeled game cart, two trips. I was very fortunate to have a young man, Chris, to help me on this butchering and retrieval. There are very few people as nice as him around but he is a bowhunter so I guess I should expect
that. Also, another bowhunter, Paul Navarre, had volunteered to help me but I didn't have to call him.
Thanks Paul and Chris, for your volunteering. I'm 65 yrs old and knowing I had help available sure eased my mind, you guys were a tremendous help.
A once in a lifetime beautiful experience and some good meat, just don't ask for pictures of the horns, LOL! Thanks Ray

I think that's awesome! Congratulations on fulfilling a dream hunt.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Congrats...but I do want to see some pictures of your moose!

Also where did you get him? I'd be curious to hear about the unit and the location in the unit.

I've been putting in for moose for a couple of years, to build points and am a year or 2 away from a tag(I hope).

I'm starting to do some research on what units I should be targeting.

Congrats again...send us some pics. Any moose in this state is a tropy in my opinion.

I harvested the WSMAA moose in Unit 171 which is south of Walden, CO. I was hunting (when I got him)on the South Fork of the Michigan river. He was the only moose I saw while hunting. I saw two big bulls while scouting and 6 more alongside the road just across and out of my area while I was up this time. Feel free to PM or Email me. Ray

Congratulations on your moose! I'd like to see a picture, too. At least you saw the antlers. There has been at least 6 small bulls mistaken for cows and killed by cow hunters in the Walden area since the season started.

Yes, I am the same person as "OldFart' fm TnDeer, someone had all ready taken "OldFart" on this site.
A little twist fm an old saying, "A moose on the ground is better than two on the mountain"
I picked up my processed moose today and took it to a locker. I must still wait for results of the CWD test.
Thanks Ray

nwe,

If you are happy then that is what counts! Nicely done!

I could be VP of WSMAA! I don't like it, but I qualify! :)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom