(WTF)

M

Moosie

Hehe.... Hope everyones hunting is going good :)

• [*] -Moosie
~~If you're going to walk on thin ice, Ya might as Well DANCE !!
WALK the TALK, Or shut the HECK UP !!

Huntin'???

Hell dude, it was hunting back during the season here.

What I'm doin' to the deer and elk right now is called Poachin' in most circles...

But my "huntin'" as you call it is going just fine, thanks for asking.

If you'd like to join us some night me and a few of the boys are going spotlighting up around Rock Canyon above Provo. Some of those stupid sheep are coming right down into town so it'll be like ducks in a barrel amigo!!

I may not finish it up this winter but I'm fixin' to at least get started on my Grand Slam. :)

-Dawg

Hey Dawg, that doesn't sound like ethical hunting. Was that a Joke or were you serious ..... :)

• [*] -Moosie

Hey DAWG... Hunting is Never done.. Not even in DECEMBER !!! I drew the special Dec 24th Evening hunt again this year, Wish me luck !!!

Santa.jpg

• [*] -Moosie

Classic picture Moosie!! I used to have illusions of blasting Santa until I turned 25 and figured out who he really was!!

Now I'm kind of growing fond of the guy. ;-)

I need to rephrase my original post. I need to change out the word "poaching". It's such a harsh word that carries such negative connotations these days.

Back in the old days the word "poaching" was reserved for role models and heroes such as Claude Dallas, etc...

Now it's a common term thrown out at random and in an accusing manner with names like Ryan Hatch or Doyle Moss. Since I prefer not to have my good name drug around in the mud with such outlaws and renegades as these chaps, I think I'd like to retract the word "poaching" from my post. :)

What I'm doing is what us hound doggers call "Ground Scoring" animals. Now we all know how deer and elk hunters lie and stretch the truth. It's common knowledge that 98% of the deer hunters on the planet have never seen a legitimate 30" buck on the hoof before. But if you talk to them you'll discover they can't walk 20 feet from their car into the bushes up Cottonwood canyon to take a leak without seeing a "34 inch heavy horned 5X6".

It's also common knowledge that there are only about 4 guys on this website that have actually seen a 380+ bull in the flesh, unless you count watching one on the TV screen at Sportsmans Whorehouse. Yet, somehow these guys seem to bugle in countless 400+ bulls every fall. Call 'em right into their laps but just chose not to shoot them for a variety of reasons. The number one reason being that elk tags in Utah don't really exist. They are simply a figment of the DWR's colorful imagination. Elk do exist and in large numbers, it's the tags that don't exist.

Now I have never professed to be able to look across a canyon and judge the width of a mule deer or score a bull elk. I supposed I'm just not as talented as my neighbor who told me the other day, "I was watching a buck in the Book Cliffs and my buddy said he was 32 inches wide. I told him not so, that buck was 32 and 3/8ths wide."

So Ground Scoring is the only option for a poor dumb hound dogger. Since I'm not as bright and talented as the average die hard deer or elk hunter, I am forced to shoot the poor beast and go slap a tape on his rack. It's not really poaching, it's just my attempt at honesty. When I tell someone I saw a 30" mule deer buck, I want to be positive about my measurements. Putting a tape to him is really the best way I've found.

It's the same with those damn sheep on Timp. What do I know about sheep hunting? I can't judge a ram's curl across a canyon. But I can standing over him with a tape measure in my hand.

So please ignore the word "poaching" from my previous post. I prefer the term Ground Scoring. It's a method perhaps more of you should try out. It has proven its worth time and time again. Why just last Friday my buddy and me guessed a deer up behind Bountiful at 28". But when we ground checked him he was really only 26" and not quite as heavy as we'd first estimated.

But you are right Moosie... the hunting is never done! Not until the last buffalo is down.

-Dawg
Ground Scoring, Inc. (Patent Pending)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom