WY Antelope in the Snow!!

oregonmuley

Very Active Member
Well, I was lucky enough to make my 2nd trip to Wyoming this year for antelope. Last year I was lucky to get to go and kill a OK buck on public in a mostly private unit. I went back this year to the same unit but did hunt on a ranch which sure made it easier as far as access.

Anyway, I had to delay my trip a few days hoping to miss the snow that came in last week. I thought I had a 3 or 4 day window of decent weather so I hit the road early Monday morning from Oregon.

I made it to Wyoming OK late afternoon on Tuesday, only to find out that Wednesday would be the only good weather day, on that Thurday the next snow was supposed to blow in, plus when I got there and looked at the roads, well anyone that has been to Wyoming knows you don't drive when the roads get wet - so it was going to be a on foot hunt.

The rancher who's ranch I was going to hunt on gave me some great info on the best place to walk in to find some decent numbers of antelope, and just like he said I found several bunches of 20-30 animals about 1 1/2 miles in.

I chased this buck most of the morning - there was one maybe a little taller but I really like mass on antelope bucks so I went after this one, ranged him at 307 yards and made my longest to date shot. One and he went down, this was the first hunt with my 7mm-08 and sure like it - decided its my new lucky rifle:)

Anyway, he's not real tall, just makes it to 14 inches, but both bases are right at 7 2/8 and also 7 1/8 at the 1st quarter. He has 5 1/2 inch prongs and just a little ivory on the tips. For a 1 day hunt I'm real happy with this buck, my best to date and even with more time I think I would have taken him because of the mass.

Heck of a solo trip but sure had fun and hope to do it again next year, really like to find that 15 incher:)

Here are a couple pics.

4acfa9e32cd89b82.jpg

4acfaa2c2edb10e6.jpg

Great buck. Height is nowhere near everything.congrats

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

Congrats to you Frank on another nice Lope. I am leaving in the morning headed that way too. Looked at the weather report last night, will check again later tonight but calls for snow on Monday and Tuesday so will be a bit tuff getting around in that area.....gummy mud roads.

Brian

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom