Wy apllication booklet is out.

ColoradoBob

I got my WY application booklet in the mail today. Thinking about cashing in those moose points on a tag this year. Good luck to all who apply. CB

You got mail on Christmas Day, sure it wasn't left there yesterday??
Anyway, thanks for the heads up and since tomorrow is also a Holiday for the Postal Service, should have mine on Tuesday.

Brian

Wyoming must hate you guys, and put you on the bottom of the list; my partner and I got ours about 10 days ago! :)

ColoradoBob,

How many moose points have you got?

I've got 6 and am trying to get a feel for what's gonna happen this year.

I know a lot of guys that are thinking about dumping points this year. Or should I say going to TRY to dump points this year.

Good luck with your moose draw.

Prism,

You are absolutely right. From what I'm seeing in posts on various websites, lots of folks that have been quietly sitting on the sidelines and accruing points are now talking about going into the actual draw. If that happens, it will decrease a lot of the drawing of tags with lesser amounts of preference points that has happened in the past few years. Of course there's still a shot in the random draw, depending on area, but things are going to get tough and it will be very interesting to see how this all pans out. It's my thinking that the impact of this price increase really won't be known until we get a couple of years down the road.

Good luck to all in the draws!

Prism---I've got 6 points also. Last year 3 people drew a tag with 6 points. 3 guys with 6 didn't. Guess I've got to try. Good Luck----CB

6 points is the start of the $7 a point pool. That is a very large pool. This year is the year to sh-- or get off the pot with the higher point price. I bet anything that took 6 or less last year will be tough to draw with 6 or less this year. They are probabally going to gouge a lot of people for a few more years of points fees. I am getting off the pot and saving my $$$ for an Alaskan moose hunt.

Where can I find information on the number of people and their points for Moose? I have 3 for Moose and Sheep. Definately out for sheep, but may stick with the moose if I'd draw within 5-10 years.

Going into the 2006 draw
Sheep
11 Points - 191
10 Points - 330
9 Points - 225
8 Points - 196
7 Points - 226
6 Points - 1258
5 Points - 1312
4 Points - 1327
3 Points - 1475
2 Points - 1629
1 Point - 2587
Moose
11 Points - 20
10 Points - 64
9 Points - 59
8 Points - 92
7 Points - 152
6 Points - 1433
5 Points - 1610
4 Points - 1687
3 Points - 1917
2 Points - 2093
1 Point - 3124

Thanks for those numbers. I knew I'd seen them at one time, but couldn't find them again on the website.

Holy crap though! I'm gonna venture a guess that over 50% of the guys with 6 points this year have never applied-myself included.

If we think we're gonna draw a 6 point area this year with 6 points, we're kidding ourselves! We'll probably have a better shot at the random draw.

Decision time. Do I keep on applying or get out and lick my wounds of a $42 loss.

I was hoping that Wyoming would be my once in a lifetime moose hunt, but looking at the numbers I don't know anymore.

Should of probably used my points earlier on an easier draw. Oh well!

$1200 will at least get you a AK moose tag and airfare to AK. The AK hunt will be more, but if too many years at $87 per year start adding up ($75 + $12), maybe not by much. I say boycott WY and save the money for AK!

I just got my regs in the mail today. It appears that you can't even apply for the random draw for moose/sheep without purchasing a point. Is this correct?

Cosa,

Yes, you are correct. The preference points are not optional if you apply for moose and sheep. The G&F will deduct the fees from your refund amount.

COSA, DWALTON, HOW YA GUYS DOIN??? IN A SMALL BOX ON THE MOOSE APP. FORM IT SAYS; YOU GET A POINT IF YOU APPLY IN THE DRAW AND ARE NOT DRAWN. SO LIKE IN THE PAST, YOU GET A POINT IF NOT DRAWN. IF YOU GO THE POINTS ONLY ROUTE THEN YOU BUY A POINT. MAKES SINCE TO ME, UNLESS IT CHANGED. GIVE ME YOUR TAKE ON THIS. YD.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-05 AT 09:12PM (MST)[p]YuokonDall, now you got me a little confused. I don't mind fronting the money for a chance at getting drawn in the random draw, but with only 3 points I've come to realize I'm out of the points race for at least 10-20 years. So can someone apply for the random draw without paying the big bucks for points?

COSA, YES. IF YOU PUT UP THE $$ AND ENTER THE DRAW, AND DONT DRAW/ YOU GET YOUR $$ BACK PLUS A POINT. IF YOU BUY A POINT IT COST YOU 75.00 FOR A MOOSE POINT. I HAVE DONE IT BOTH WAYS FOR 8 YEARS/AND NOW HAVE 8 POINTS. I DONT THINK THINGS HAVE CHANGED. YD.

YukonDall, If you apply for the draw, they WILL subtract the $75 or $100 from your refund. You pa for the point regardless.
-MN

Ramdreamer I agree 100%, I suspect many will drop out, in the next 2 years, many who have some points will put in for a draw - I am, random draw, I figure take a chance at a tag now and (if I draw) save the $75 a year to keep getting points.

That is b s they should give you the option of going for a point, man they are sucking up the $$$

over $300 for all points nonrefundable, higher priced (2 tiers) tags for NR just to get more $$$, guides in widlerness for hunters but no one else, must pay for points to enter draw. Is their ANYONE who thinks this is fair???????

How about some budget cuts, maybe drop all those people who answer my calls with questions incorrectly. I have called 3 different people and gotten 3 different answers to the same question! I bet they are getting a raise on my dime!

Correct. It is a change from the past. When the new fees were initially announced they suggested they were going to be optional. I guess they changed it. On page 5 of the regs it says the PP fee will be deducted from the refund and on the actual application there is not a choice for the PP and fee as there is on the Deer/Elk/Pronghorn applications.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-05 AT 08:30AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-05 AT 08:29?AM (MST)

RAT BAS...DS !!! THANKS, YD.

MNHunter,
One more question for you. Are those preference point numbers you listed for just nonresidents?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom