WY Elk NR App withdraw? (covid)

Ram187

Any thoughts on withdrawing a NR elk app.with max points because
of COVID-19. Probably will be using the services of an outfitter.

Contact your outfitter and talk with them about deposits and what if you have to reschedule for next year.
I would call or email and ask specific questions about gov't shutdowns and limitations and their policy on your deposit and the hunt . I have seen an outfitter on another forum raising questions about if he should refund deposits or keep them as he incurs expenses even if you cancel. He's getting roasted but others may have the the same thoughts.
You might also ask WG&F about their policy if NR are restricted in travel to or from Wyoming in fall. I bet they have some kind of plan or have talked about it.

I emailed the outfitter last Monday, drop camp type services, and he was noncommittal about whether things might be normal this fall.

As you most likely know, NR’s have until May 8th to modify or withdraw their license. From the wording in your post, it appears you were contemplating using an outfitter if you actually drew the tag?

In the event you already have a booked and have a contract/deposit with an outfitter, I would contact that outfitter directly in writing as others have mentioned and ask them their refund policy if not already spelled out in your contract.

What would be of greater concern to me (and is as I have also applied with max points) is what will be the policy if you are to draw and can’t hunt due to any continuance of the WY governor imposed 14 day quarantine on NR hunters, any state/county travel restrictions, county closures, BLM or NF closures, hunting season closures, etc.

Will WY issue refunds and reinstate preference points should any of these restrictions impact your hunt? Will you be able to also buy another point in July if you draw to retain your max points status if a refund is processed and your points are reinstated?

Hopefully the WY Game & Fish will issue a public statement prior to the 8th providing more clarity should pandemic conditions not improve by then providing more clarity for NR hunters so that we may make an informed decision on whether to modify/withdraw.

If the WG&F doesn’t provide any clarification prior to the 8th, then we will all have to make our own decision at the deadline based on the best available information at the time on the current direction of the virus and projected restrictions...

Horniac

Horniac

A similarly associated thing happened a few days ago in OR. The ODFW closed all fishing to NR's...when NR's asked about their refund for said fishing licenses, the ODFW person running their FB page stated clearly that NO refunds would be issued.

Every state is different, and even when the right thing to do seems obvious, it is hard to rely on government officials to behave responsibly.
Alaska cancelled all NR spring bear hunts this year, but so far won't commit to refunding the bear tag fees. It is not possible that a NR could have hunted at all this year, yet they still have to think about refunding tag fees? Not like hunters and outfitters aren't already out other associated costs for these hunts, but the state keeping the tag fees when the entire season has been cancelled seems a bit over the top.
Who knows what Wyoming will do, but in ordinary times I would have more faith in them than many other states.
Bill

Every state is different, and even when the right thing to do seems obvious, it is hard to rely on government officials to behave responsibly.
Alaska cancelled all NR spring bear hunts this year, but so far won't commit to refunding the bear tag fees. It is not possible that a NR could have hunted at all this year, yet they still have to think about refunding tag fees? Not like hunters and outfitters aren't already out other associated costs for these hunts, but the state keeping the tag fees when the entire season has been cancelled seems a bit over the top.
Who knows what Wyoming will do, but in ordinary times I would have more faith in them than many other states.
Bill
I could see them keeping the application fee but definitely not the Tag fee.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom