WY Moose Tag!

diablo

Very Active Member
I got "lucky" and drew a moose tag for unit 27 in the southwest corner of the state - not really lucky I guess after 12 years of applying (just decided finally to use my points).

Can't wait to scout and hunt the unit. Been waiting to hunt moose for a long time.

Any advice or comments from any who have hunted the unit would be appreciated!!

Hunt the last two weeks of the season when the big bulls come over from Utah. Access is tricky, but there's some national forest that can be good late in the season.

Killed a bull on the Forest 5 years ago. Hunted the willows in the drainagesm the 2nd week.

A friend of mine killed a booner with a bow in the same area 2 years ago.

from "the Heartland of Wyoming"

Thanks for the comments guys. I have heard two things - wait for the last 2 weeks and hunt with a bow in Sept. I guess someone shot a 49 inch toad with a bow in there last year.

Both sound like a good plan...with moose you need to be flexible. It took three separate trips to get my trophy moose from Wyoming.

My cousin's daughter shot a fine bull in 27 2 years ago and my cousin shot one there last year and this year my friend has a tag.

Seems like a pretty good unit and the advice you've received from the above posters seems very sound... especially the flexibility part. I know my cousin and his daughter made multiple trips (like 3 each year) but it paid off well for tham.

Good luck, have fun, shoot a big one, enjoy the delicious meat.
Zeke

Appreciate the comments guys! I scouted on the 24th weekend and saw a couple bulls. Man, a lot of that country is thick - will be much easier to see when the leaves drop.

69335dsc00013.jpg

From 27 a few yrs ago. Fun hunt!

Good looking bull Geko42! Thanks for sharing. How wide was he?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom