WY Sheep Up!

Elmer,
I knew this was your year! Congratulations!
We will all live your experience vicariously if you will share.

Thanks to all.... Now I need to see how all else ends up... I'm for sure reserving three weeks for this no matter what! Sheep time trumps anything else in my book... Wish I was closer... I'm stoked!

Well done EF!
I hope it's everything you want it to be.
PLEASE keep us posted with your scouting and ultimate success.
Zeke

It is official! Got a stack of mail from outfitters today! Ordered 200 Berger 140 .270 bullets for my pre war M70 (my absolute most favorite and first rifle is going on a hunt this special)... Hiking every day...

EF,
So what unit? Outfitter or diy?

Jack would be proud of your choice of weapons for sure. A proven sheep killer.
My 2004 Wyoming sheep hunt was my first Ovis adventure and it still feels like it was just yesterday.
We are all excited for you, so keep us posted.

I love your gun choice Elmer. I'm taking my 1952 M70 in 30-06. I wanted to take a .270 being a JC fan...but he loved the '06 too and my old warhorse is the most accurate gun I own. I had to refinish it after all the remaining varnish came off on a nasty goat hunt awhile back. I have not tried Bergers but mine shoots 1/2" with Noslers and Barnes.
I can't understand these guys on TV shooting their OIL sheep with the guides rifle? You'd think a guy who has been applying for sheep tags for 15-20yrs would own a decent rifle by then. It would have to be a hefty kickback for me to use a borrowed rifle on this hunt....

OK, two asks on the rifle... I shot my first buck at age 12 with this one. I have gone through quite a few, have quite a few... but this is still my favorite. It shoots well sub MOA with 130 Sierras in spite of a bit of throat darkening...I don't shoot it a bunch anymore, mainly save it for special hunts now. I just figured I'd try the Bergers and fall back if they don't shoot... Here is a WY buck from a few years ago...

And area 5... I'm going to take a month DIY.

Good luck and have fun on yours, Mtgoat... (I know you are stoked!)

ericwooding10107-2.jpg

ditto to you mtgoat!

Jack would be proud of you both!
Classic rifles for classic adventures.
I am stoked for you both.

Very cool EF ! I was like you when I drew my sheep tag last year. I wanted to use my favorite rifle, Winchester Model 70 in 25-06. I did just that, I too shot my first buck with it when I was 12, 30 years ago. It made my once in a lifetime hunt that much more special.

I've never hunted sheep with a rifle that would make Jack proud but my sheep rifles would make him jealous! LOL

They are indestructible, impervious, relatively light and they shoot like a laser.

I've never used a woooden stocked rifle on a sheep or goat hunt.

I do have a few "plastic" guns that have some serious sentimental value, although they might not look like much to the average guy.

My wood stocked rifles are my pride and joy. There's nothing finer than a custom wood-stocked rifle but I want Kevlar in my backpack for sheep hunting...... unless one of you guys will carry it for me.

However, I think the hunter makes the rifle rather than the rifle making the hunter so a guy should use what ever he wants and have a great sheep hunt and SHARE THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE WITH HIS MM FRIENDS!

I hope for the best experience that bighorn huting has to offer you guys!

Not being contrary, just one guys opinion.
Zeke

Zeke... I know you are right... If everyone agreed, wouldn't be worth talking. But using your favorite toy is a big deal to some guys... Like me... Ration and logic takes second place to emmotion... And honestly, I put a Leupold 6X compact on that gun over 20 years ago (bought in MT after my K4 fogged), sighted it in, checked on hunting trips, rain, snow.... I have never touched the adjustments since... ever. Always small groups dead nuts on at 200 yards, 6" low at 300.... :)

EF,

Don't let Zeke give you any grief! He has plenty of sentimental guns, but he is afraid to take his fancy wood stocked rifles out of the house, much less on a sheep mountain, fearing he might scratch his little beauties. LOL
That gun of yours sounds like a sheep killin machine! Not having to touch the adjustments for 20 years has to give you amazing confidence with that rig, as evidenced by that great high racked muley. I like your choice!

Take 'em out of the house? Oh hell no! I won't even take 'em out of the safe any more! LOL (BTW: you crack me up Mr LBH)

A couple years ago I was backpacking out a bear hide and my favorite .338 win took a beating on the pack frame. I cried for weeks to see my little custom beauty defiled like that! It ruined the whole hunt. I even thought about giving up the sport. LMAO

There's nothing finer than a beautiful rifle with a great piece of wood attached. And, oh yes, I understand sentimantal rifles and I have.....some. Just remember, they don't make bullet-proof vests out of wood!

I'm going sheep hunting this year and the Kevlar will be hooked to our backpacks and the wood will be resting comfortably in the safe until the next non-backpack hunt.

This is only MY opinion and a guy should always hunt with what he wants since each rifle comes with it's own "personality".

Best to all you sheep hunters!
Zeke

There are no bullet proof vests, only bullet resistant vests...... :)

My .270 is no safe queen, I have worked it over with sandpaper, steamed out dents and refinished it several times... I just like it. I could comprimise and put the Brown Precision stock I have on my other M70 on it for the hunt too....

EF,

Congrats on the tag, I follow the good guys on the site and always like your posts. Good luck, take lots of pictures and keep us updated.

Rich

I agree. I think Mr EF is one of the good guys and I'm only jerking his chain a little.

Since he drew a great tag, his spirits are so high that I could say whatever I wanted about my stupid rifles and he'd just laugh.

Like I said, I would never tell a guy what he should use. I'm only expressing my opinion of what I would and have used and my reasons for doing so.

EF, your rifle won't "make" the hunt but it will "add" to your experience and that's how it should be. Plus, it's a helluva rifle anyway!

I can't wait to read about your great adventure!

Zeke

Congrats EF, glad to see you finally get your turn.

Did HornedToad draw too by chance? I think he is (was?) a MAX-1 guy too.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom