Wyoming 78-1 deer

clifhunter

I drew a Wyoming unit 78 -1 tag. If you had this tag would you hunt the first 10 days or tha l ast 1o days? I have done some scouting trips to the unit and it looks like it could hold some good bucks.

I would hunt it 4 years ago before the fire and winter kill.. pretty tough hunt now imo. All of my local friends have stopped applying there.

I guess to me the right 10 days would be the first 5 and last 5. The first 5 you might find a good local buck. The last 5, IF you get weather, may produce a good buck down low. If not, it can be hard to find a 2 point.

I hunted it 4-5 years ago and it was tough then. If it has gotten worse, you will struggle. I've heard the habitat is better after the fire, but it will take time for that herd to rebound.

To answer your question. I would hunt the last 5 days and pray for some tough weather to move those deer in from Colorado. Get to a good rockpile early because when we hunted there, people were sitting on that travel corridor on the state line waiting like buzzards circling a dying lamb.

I’m there about every summer to fish. My dad has hunted it before years ago. I applied this year and didn’t draw

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Get up high where you can cover as much area as you can with your glass.

I talked to locals this summer when I was in town and they said yes some didn’t survive winter, but that’s about all they had to say about that.

Hunt hard and hope for the best.

Either scout before and hunt opener or hunt the end when they hopefully have settled

How does Wyoming address the worst winter kill in 50 years? This unit is a good example. They double the deer tags offered. Yup...that's their way of thinking. In 2021 this unit had 200 muley tags and 75 whitetail tags. This year, after the die off, they offer 315 muley tags and 150 whitetail for 465 total. What thought process leads to such a hefty increase in tag numbers?....Money I guess. Locals I have talked to said it will be a poor hunt, with over crowding and low deer numbers combining for a bad experience. Wyoming Game Dept usually does a good job, but some years money is their only desired trophy. This is one of those years..........BKule

How does Wyoming address the worst winter kill in 50 years? This unit is a good example. They double the deer tags offered. Yup...that's their way of thinking. In 2021 this unit had 200 muley tags and 75 whitetail tags. This year, after the die off, they offer 315 muley tags and 150 whitetail for 465 total. What thought process leads to such a hefty increase in tag numbers?....Money I guess. Locals I have talked to said it will be a poor hunt, with over crowding and low deer numbers combining for a bad experience. Wyoming Game Dept usually does a good job, but some years money is their only desired trophy. This is one of those years..........BKule
There was a big fire the year of 2020 in the unit so 2021 they cut the tags from 400 to 200. I believe guys that turned their tag in in 2020 received a tag in 2021, so less tags available in the drawing. 315 is actually a tag cut from the 350 they had in 2022 for winter kill…..,,…

As for the hunting in the unit goes, from what I hear it is very weather dependent. With snow it can be decent, but in the hot dry years it’s a tough hunt. I prefer to spend my points in western Wyoming

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom