Wyoming Antelope Non resident

lsorenso

If a feller wanted to apply for a nonresident antelope tag in Wyoming, which unit is best, with reasonably good odds to draw. I have one bonus point, and would like the possibility to harvest an 80 inch antelope. I have a 78 and want to better it if possible, any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

With 1 Point you can't draw any of the "trophy" units. You will most likely have to go into the Special (more expensive draw) to get a decent unit with lots of public ground. You are going to need to spend a lot of time in one of those units to find a big one. You could either do a scout a bunch pre-season and shoot him opening morning option or wait until the end of the season when they bunch up because of the weather and try to find your 80-incher then. The other option is to wait 5 years and draw a better unit, but who wants to wait.

Best of luck.

You could find a 80 inch buck in a bunch of units, many of which can be drawn as a left-over tag. Problem is many of these have a lot of private, but if you look you can find good hunting. Invest in some good topo maps if you don't have them already.

Look to any of the central located units, and come later in the season. Sure some of the bigger bucks may have been killed, but you will probably have much less pressure from other hunters and it seems sometimes if your lucky some big bucks come out from their hiding spots. I made the mistake this year if thinking I needed to be there for the opener - never again what a cluster. For antelope, later is better IMHO.

Depends how much later and what area's. I was in 47 this past weekend. Not sure I saw any hunters. Saw low numbers of goats. I think a lot have been pushed onto private. And the goats I did see were herded up and took off running as soon as I'd slow the truck down even a mile off. Trade offs to both theories...

Thanks for all of the positive input. I have drawn a tag on unit 96 a few years ago, screwed up and shot the wrong buck(one of them deals with too many helpers). I bought a point this year, because I wouldn't of been able to go. I also apply for the "Special" draw, don't really mind payin the extra cash if I have a chance for a good buck. I am just trying to make sure I put in for the best possible place without having to wait 5 years or more to draw it. 96 was pretty good, seen alot of average bucks, but not many really good ones, just wondering if there is a better place to apply for.

most areas are the same, lots of medium bucks, there are no secret areas, the ones with less tags and more public land are harder to draw. One of wyomings biggest bucks came out of a leftover tag area recently, thats just the way it is. The weather has a big effect on horn growth, and that you can't control, and its even hard to predict.

Here is my take on it.
I am guessing there is an 80 inch antelope (they are not goats!) in probably every unit in the state, but killing one is alot harder in some units than others. The units where you have a better chance at killing one are also USUALLY the harder units to draw. So if 80" is your goal, and you only have one point, you will have to spend more time and hunt harder to reach that goal. If you are willing to spend some time and hunt hard, it is possible to do in most units.

The problem with most of us, myself included, is that we want it to happen in only a few days of hunting and when it doesn't we give up and shoot a smaller buck.
Either way, hunting antelope is fun and you don't have to reach 80"s to make it so.

I have had great antelope hunting in several units,but it does not take an 80 inch buck to make me happy.Saw several nice bucks in eastern Wyoming this year in left over tag units.

I think 80 and 6/8 is the tied State Record, if I'm not mistooken.
Bigger Lopes in tougher Draws do exist, but get realistic with your Hunt expectations....

Rump

Rump, you are mistooken. There are several 80"+ lopes shot in Wyoming ever year. While his goal does set the bar high, it is very doable with hard work and maybe some luck.

I realize that 80 inches is setting the bar high, but I am patient and hunt hard. I take at least a week off work and more if needed. I know that 90 + is the state record, and I believe that 80 is a realistic goal. Again, I thank you all for your input. I am mostly just trying to see if I should apply for a different unit or stick with 96, as I am from Utah, and its fairly close. Thanks again

Oops--my bad--thanks for clarifying.
If I was going to follow a general observation in the quest for a big Goat, I'd concentrate my efforts in the Bighorn Basin rather than the Powder River Basin, just as far as these two parts of the State are concerned.

Rump

littlebighorn, No they are not goats, it is just a nickname, but that is no different than you calling them antelope. They are NOT an antelope. They are pronghorn and are not related to antelope. Pronghorn are a unique species with no relatives. They are only found in North America. They are also the only horned animal in the world that shed their horns.

One more thing, there were huge numbers of pronghorn in 47 this year on public land. I took this 15 & 1/4" "goat" on the second day I hunted, 10-13-10. I glassed over 50 bucks in two days all on public land.

5515eanteloperandy2.jpg

121eanteloperandy.jpg

You may find that antelope are mighty tough to judge and there isn't much difference between a 79" and 80" buck. It only takes 1/4" less mass at the 4 circumference readings to go from a 80 to 79" buck? Do you think you can pick this 1/4" up with poor optics...very likely not. With lots of experience, top of the line spotting scope, good viewing conditions (no heat waves), etc you may be able to pick this out. Just as important as drawing a tag in a unit that has super buck potential is being able to accurately judge them in the field. I would go out on a limb and say most guys don't know how to accurately field judge antelope...and most shoot the first decent buck they see...even after drawing one of the top antelope units available in the state! One thing for sure...there likely aren't many 80+" antelope in any unit in Wyo and as mentioned above you are likely going to need to spend a lot of time looking in detail at a lot of bucks. Hopefully you are able to distinguish between a 79 and 80" buck!

So you have one bonus point going into 2011? There are alot of areas over looked in Wyoming that are really good. 115 is one of them. With one point you stand a fair or better chance, even without the special. Alot of guys are not applying because of the economy. Take a look at the Wyoing Game & fish web site. It has the odds of the draw for several years listed in all the areas.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-10 AT 08:12PM (MST)[p]115 is a very good unit and there are a good number of 80"+ goats there if you can draw the tag. If you go there the best area is about halfway between the Bluebank Road and Hwy 434 and is almost all BLM land. That area can only be accessed from the west off the Bluebank Road or from the south as it is all private along Hwy 434. I shot a very nice goat in 2009 and saw a lot of others as good or better, but wanted to get into my deer hunt and settled for him---14 1/2", perfectly symetrical, and scored 76".

Michael...click on the icon on the Main Page of Forums over a ways that says INBOX...you have mail.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom