Wyoming antelope unit 57 or 58 ?

Craig

Very Active Member
Thinking of maybe trying to draw a antelope tag next year. I was thinking of unit 57 or unit 58. Anyone have thoughts on what unit might be better for a DIY hunt on public land for a nice buck?

I have max points and according to Huntin fool, With max points and the special draw I have 100% chance to draw a tag in unit 57. unit 58 special draw with max points I would have 33% chance to draw a tag. Is it worth the odds of maybe waiting a couple more years to draw to hunt 58 over 57?

Thank you for any information.
Craig

We were in 57 two years ago photographing and we saw some nice pronghorn bucks.You should have a great hunt . Hope you draw!

Craig,
I saw the same info and considered it for a second but decided against it because of the Huntin' Fool effect. The odds won't be 100% this year because about 12,000 other HF members are looking at the same data. I read the Huntin' Fool top picks and adjust accordingly. I've noticed if you avoid the top 2 HF picks you avoid most of the HF applicants.

The reality is that many areas will provide for a very good hunt for good bucks. If you're choosing your areas based on HF top picks, it could be a long time before you go hunting. The best thing I have found is to narrow your areas down to those with good public access. There's a wide swath of vast tracts of BLM land through the central part of the state. Most any of those will provide a good hunt for good bucks. In fact, of the 10 or so "top" areas, it'd be hard to argue one for the other, as all will produce nice bucks. The biggest factor IMO is not the area so much as it is your familiarity of that area and going in there for more than a few days to look over the antelope. Whichever area you decide on, take advantage of the summer and early archery to get to know the area and find out where bigger bucks are hanging out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom