Wyoming Antelope Units 46,47,48

I've hunted 48 for does a few times on the Hannah Draw Ranch. Now that I have two non-resident points I would like to try for a buck tag. Obviously a trophy would be nice, but I would be happy with any decent buck. I am not interested in a trespass hunt as I'm trying to keep it as economical as possible.

Looking at the stats I think I would be limited to unit 46 for a buck tag. Does anyone here have any thoughts on using two preference points for this unit? Or would there be a better area preferably in the SE part of the state as I am from Colorado?

Looking at the draw odds I couldn't draw 47 or 48 with only 2 non-resident points, correct?
I should though, draw 46?
Just want to make sure I have it figured out before applying....
Thanks!

>Looking at the draw odds I
>couldn't draw 47 or 48
>with only 2 non-resident points,
>correct?
>I should though, draw 46?
>Just want to make sure I
>have it figured out before
>applying....
>Thanks!

With 2PPs you could draw any of the 6 draws (Type 1 or 2) if you applied in the Special higher priced Draw. According to the 2014 stats your could only draw 46-2 with 2PPs in the Regular PP Draw. 46-1 that opens on 9/25 took 3PPs for a 100% draw and was only 14.29% with <3PPs. 46-2, however, only took 1PP for 100% odds and it opens on 10/5. Both 46 type tags are good until 10/31.

One problem with the type 2 hunt is bucks have been picked over and a little tougher to find. Also, there is a good chance of snow in Oct which can make access tougher and antelope can potentially migrate long distance. Some of the HMA's don't want their roads tore up. When roads are wet or muddy, motorized access is limited to highways and county roads. By the 2nd season the antelope are pretty wound up and are likely off the main roads....so access can be difficult. If you have many pref pts you may want to save them for either a type 1 tag.

Type 2 gets snow at some point in almost every season. Last year's storm made travel on the county roads in that area almost impossible as you just tore up the roads and rutted it out. The HMAs do not allow you to go on the ranch roads when it's wet like that either.
The other posters correctly noted that most of the antelope are away from the county roads by the 2nd seasons so if it's wet you'll be SOL for a few days.
If it were my points being burned, I'd go for a type 1 tag and either pre-scout and have a buck picked out or wait until after the 1st weekend.
Of the units noted, 47 and 48 are far better than 46.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom