Wyoming Antelope

R

Rem308

Anyone hunt antelope this year? Lets see some pictures!
I did not go this year,but got my plans for 2009!!

Here ya go Rem, a truly fun hunt, can't wait to do it again...

492eacb55ad7ba52.jpg

I have hunted all over U.S and Canada,but I think a Wyoming Antelope hunt is my favorite.I hunt public land and have always found tons of animals .
Great Picture !!

Here are a couple my son and I took last fall in Wyoming during the last part of the rifle season in the area we drew. There was so much water this year that we waited for the rut and took these two the last day of our hunt, within about a two hour time frame. My son shot his just after 11 am and I took mine before 1 pm.

We had a great hunt and its always great to return to my birth state. GO POKES!

Have a good one. BB

159.jpg

160.jpg

Those are some great bow kill bucks ,and to get them that late in the year with a bow ,well that must of been great.

Very impressive- did you guys hunt over water? or the good old spot and Stalk? Public Land? regardless - you Congrats all of you on such good bucks!

I made my first trip to Wyoming this year for antelope and had a great hunt. Hunted in a unit with lots of private but did manage to tough it out on the BLM and got a great buck - for me anyway he is great. He is just a little over 13" but lots of mass.

I'd post a pic but never have been able to figure it out so if anyone can help I'd sure appreciate it.
Already planning next years trip.
By the way, got lots of help from folks here on the forum of places to go so thanks to all that helped.

Frank,
Click on the "double envelope" icon to the right of my name and send me the pictures of your hunt. Be sure to state in the Subject line WYO LOPES as it might get in the "spam" file unless I know.

Brian

Here are the pictures that I "resized" for you Frank, nice pictures and Congrats to you and your friend Chad. Tell us about the hunt outside of what you have stated above.
Brian
49317fea432a9863.jpg

4931801343a426df.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-08 AT 12:47PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-08 AT 11:28?AM (MST) by kilowatt (moderator)

Brian,
Sorry - I sent you the wrong picture but have sent the right one.

As for the story, well we drove out from Oregon (18 hours) and arrived in Kaycee at about 1 in the morning. Since it was so late nothing open so decided the truckstop/gas station looked like a good place to get a couple hours of sleep. Tossed our gear out and crashed in the back of the 4Runner, woke up and looked behind the truck stop to see antelope and a bunch of deer - pretty nice way to start the day.
We got some breakfast and went out looking for antelope. The first road we drive in a little ways we saw a small bunch of antelope including the buck I ended up killing, since we had been hunting all of 5 minutes I passed on him. About 3 hours later we ran into the same bunch and this time he just looked pretty good to me so I decided to take him. It wasn't much of a shoot, maybe 80 yards or so and down he went, first kill with my new 25-06 which I sure like.
Then my buddy Chad was next, same general area I killed my buck, his was pretty typical for the area, we saw maybe 200 bucks like his, they were about the upper end we could find on the public, anyway he shot at about 70 yards and we had our 2 bucks. Later in the afternoon we filled our 2 doe tags and the hunt was over. For a first time trip we had a blast, lots of antelope all over and like I mentioned, we managed these on BLM land in a mostly private unit. We are planning to return next year but will probably do a trespass fee - we did see some nicer bucks on private plus saw some pretty decent muley bucks we would like to go after. Great trip overall. Got some good info from Rumproast and WillyP here in the forum about what to expect.
Frank
4931897769648c7a.jpg

Frank,

Well that worked out fine, I was able to attach this picture to your post, a very nice Lope. What kind of 25.06 you got there?
After last years Lope hunt for me I too bought a new 25.06 in Savage and have it zero'd in really good and then don't draw a tag this year, look out next year. LOL

Congrats again to you and Chad on the hunt, it is a kick in the nutsack for sure.

Brian

Brian,
Well, I wanted to be prepared for some longer shots so I set out to have a gun I could use to reach out there - and all my shots were inside 80 yards!!

Anyway, the specifics on the gun are this - Remington model 700 Alaskan Ti in 25-06, Leupold dual dovetail bases with a Leupold Mark 2 3x9x40 scope. I was shooting factory Federal 100 grain TSX - the antelope all dropped in their tracks. I know Remingtons don't always shoot that great anymore like they used to but got lucky on this one, with the TSX it shoots well under an inch at 100 so pretty happy with it.

I'll be dang we have the same scope and mine were grouped using Federal 110gr Accubonds, love the Savage set trigger so smooth.
Just recently found some "new" Federal 117gr. Sierra GameKing's so just need tags in 2009.

Brian

LAST EDITED ON Nov-30-08 AT 04:32PM (MST)[p]Here is my first archery antelope
4933226f18cedf39.jpg

Congrats to you on the nice Lope with the bow, thanks for posting the picture. Very neat rock formation in the back ground there.

Brian

I've got a doe/fawn tag and my son has 2 that we still need to fill east of Cheyenne, guess I'll take a couple of pic's of them for ya.

4934c4ab648d6693.jpg

Thanks to Rem who offered up some help to me and it helped me come home successful on my first pronghorn hunt! This was near Casper.

The first picture is my '08 Nevada goat. The second picture is my '08 Wyoming goat. I love to hunt antelope!!

493e12ef28b9b84e.jpg

493e134229ce09f2.jpg

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-08 AT 06:36PM (MST)[p]What cal is your antelope killing machine there behind you.Nice looking rifle.

7 MM Best Of The West custom.
Not even my rifle a guy I know let me use it this year to see how I liked it.
I liked it alot,now I need a custom built rifle that shoots that well,fun rifle very accurate.The stock was custom film dipped.It will shoot alot farther than I dare to shoot that's no lie.Ha

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom