Wyoming Area 46

S

slayem

Can anyone give me any information on area 46 for antelope? The area is located between Rawlins and Laramie. I have never been that far East and am very unfamiliar with the area. Any help is appreciated.
Craig

Craig;
It is a great area for lopes, numerous big ones in the past have came out of this area around Rawlins. But ! good luck on finding a area to hunt. Most ranches are sewed up by outfitters and they charge big bucks. Any public area normally have heavy pressure by hunters.
RELH

Craig;
It seems that you have a tag for that area already, that area can be hard to draw at times. If you do not plan to put out for a guided hunt, and instead plan to hunt public areas, I have a few ideas that may improve your hunt. Contact the U.S. Dept. of Interior, Bureau of Land Management, BLM, in Cheyenne, Wy.82001 and purchase their surface mangement maps for the area you will be hunting. It will show you the public land and other topo features. Try to get away from the main roads and road hunters. After a few days of hunter pressure, some of the older wisher bucks will head for canyons in the foothill areas, and other spots where the hunters are not pushing them on a daily basis. Check these spots with good binos or spotting scope and you have a good chance to take a lope carrying good horns. When you spot the lope you want, use the terrain features to sneak up without him seeing you. You can try ambusing him by moving ahead of the direction he is heading. Most of the hunters will not get too far from the roads.

RELH

i drew for unit 43(just a little east of you). i have found a ton of land open to hunting. go to Wy game and fish and look for walk in areas and hunter management units. the HMU's require a permission slip witch is given out on first come first serve basis... (not sure if you already have tried this) i have hunted in WY two other times for lopes and had good luck, however access can be a problem. my unit had the warning about it being all private land so i was a little concerend. they give out 400 odd tags. i have found 20,000 acers to hunt not counting any state or blm land!! i do not know if it will be worth a damn because i have not hunted this unit before. i usually go up norht around jillett.... but i have a buddy in larmie and he says he see lots of big (15") bucks around the area. he also speeks highly of the rawlins area as he drives between there and laramie all the time and works outside in those units..? good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom